Is Bristol gonna happen???

Doesn't look like our group is going to make it to BG this year, but we were hoping to go to Bristol (for the first time). I hope they decide to have the event!

I think Reynolds is a little out of reach for us.

-Banning.

THIS SUCKS!!!!!

Bristol is the best Buick event out of all of them, hands down! We all need to get some interest generated quickly, and persuade Jim Haas into organizing it! Let's make it happen.

Re: THIS SUCKS!!!!!

Originally posted by MALIBU1
Bristol is the best Buick event out of all of them, hands down! We all need to get some interest generated quickly, and persuade Jim Haas into organizing it! Let's make it happen.

I feel the same here.

Even Jack C. and wife said at the BG event this past year, it was one of their favorite events. We need more vendors like Jack and the ones that did come, to come out to support this event. It's great that there's a good crowd of racers there but , there needs to be some butts in all those seat. I think that a larger vendor selection, would help drive the spectators to attend. IMO

What do we need to do for a Bristol BOP II/2003?????????

Very disappointed also...

It was a great event, very well put together, organized, not to mention a great facility. Last year there was rain forecasted, with the exeption of slight sprinkle, the weather and the event was great. I hope Mr. Haas doesm't give up and puts that great event together again.

I wasn't able to attend last year due to a work conflict..

I hope they keep in mind last year's attendance could have been much better if there hadn't been a HURRICANE coming thru...

That certainly detracted many people from making the trip...

Maybe someone else can step up and make it happen..

Originally posted by 1ARUNEM
I hope they keep in mind last year's attendance could have been much better if there hadn't been a HURRICANE coming thru...

I'll agree with that! The only thing is, 2 of the last 3 years have been that way. I took the chance both times and the weather turned out great for the racing. I did not trailer a car down there, so I can understand the racers and their decisions whether to go for it or not. It's a tough one to wrestle with.

Man--after 3 years of spectating--i had finally worked up the nerve to compete this year.This would be sad if this event doesn't occur.

Geoff

I loved Bristol. I remember running a personal best at that time of a 12.2 on drag radials. The kids loved the place too. The surroundings were beautiful and the people were really friendly. A lot of good memories. Thanks Jim!!

I talked to Jim the other day, and he told me that all is not lost. Hopefully, the event is still in the making for '03. That would be the best news I've heard in a long time.

We need more vendors like Jack and the ones that did come, to come out to support this event. It's great that there's a good crowd of racers there but , there needs to be some butts in all those seat. I think that a larger vendor selection, would help drive the spectators to attend. IMO

Yes, you are correct. When people go to an event, they want more than just racing. They want to see friends they haven't seen in a while. They want to meet and talk to the vendors they have only dealt with over the phone in the past. They want to make new contacts, racers and vendors, to enrich their knowledge of making their car go fast and having fun. Bristol was definitely a racers event, as the car show turnout was dismal every year.

To make the event happen, you need everything to happen at the same time. You need spectators to turn out to fill the seats. You need race cars to run the entire schedule, not go home after one day. You need vendors to be there with inventory to cover everyones needs, no matter what those needs are.

How does this happen, well, from a vendors perspective, vendors need to know the trip will be worth it. That means the vendors need to make enough money to cover 1) closing the shop for several days, 2) transportation expenses to and from the show including rentals, 3) vendor space at the event, 4) hotel costs, 5) sponsorship fees, 6) event signs and banners, 7) eating out every day, among other things. Basically when a vendor goes mobile to a show, it costs alot of money to have even the smallest showing at an event. Many vendors accept events as a loss just to hopefully make new contacts and increase their business. Some know the loss is coming, and vendoring at the event becomes a "working vacation", and quite possibly the only vacation the vendor will take for the year. Here's where the big catch 22 comes in. Balance expenses vs. income to not put yourself out of business just to try putting on the show. If your original business plan isn't to be a mobile business, it costs big $$ to go mobile a few times a year.

Our efforts to vendor have only been to bring finished product to the events because to go mobile would cost over $100,000 to do so. Watch Jack Cotton replace a rear end on the pavement. Why does he do it this way? Well, it costs too much to make the entire shop portable.

I think you can see, any event will require $$$ to be successful. That $$$ only comes from the prople involved, racers, spectators, and vendors. The less numbers you have of any of those 3 means the financial burden is placed on somebody elses shoulders. Too much on any one group and the event folds because it's just not worth trying to make it happen.

Many spectators fill the seats and means the organizers have the $ to afford track prep. A well prepped track means lots of racers for the spectators to see. Lots of racers and spectators means vendors will see a potential profit, and will foot the bill to go to the event to make new business, and hopefully turn a profit. The racers get on-site support in case something breaks. Spectators get to price shop and compare the more vendors that show up. The vendors see some profits and decide sponsoring is a good choice since the event has been good to them, so sponsor dollars roll in. Sponsor dollars can turn into more perks in goody bags at the car show, or larger payouts for the race classes. Racers getting higher payouts attracts more racers. More racers attracts more spectators. These groups increased attracts more vendors....and the cycle continues until you look around and can't find room to squeeze in the next paying customer.

As you can see, it does take vendors, but it EQUALLY takes racers and spectators to make a successful event. Lose any one of these three groups, and you lose the event. Those that don't have much invested in the event, and just say, "Oh well, I'm not going, nobody will miss me there", well, that's the beginning of the end of the event. EVERYONE in attendance counts.

Have I solved anything here. No. But hopefully I've given you something to think about. We need all three groups to make an event. The loss of any one group means the loss of the event. So the trick is to come up with a plan that ensures a good turnout of spectators, racers and vendors. That's the nut you have to crack to make Bristol, or any event happen.

Originally posted by MALIBU1
I talked to Jim the other day, and he told me that all is not lost. Hopefully, the event is still in the making for '03. That would be the best news I've heard in a long time.

DITTO THAT, MALIBU!

:) :) :) :) :)

i would love to another bristol event it is a great event i love that track .ps jim lets have that event i love it there.
thanks regalwe4 kevin:rolleyes:

Have I solved anything here. No. But hopefully I've given you something to think about. We need all three groups to make an event. The loss of any one group means the loss of the event. So the trick is to come up with a plan that ensures a good turnout of spectators, racers and vendors. That's the nut you have to crack to make Bristol, or any event happen.

Dan, I couldn't agree or identify more with everything you have stated in your post. I fall into all 3 catagories, I love racing, spectating and vend, so as to be able to attend. Unfortunately, the support at the event from the vending standpoint, has been far less than I could have hoped for. I have been to every event, supporting both vendor wise, for the racers and financially for racer purses. Do I expect to make money..... no... I just hope to be able to cover some expenses and be able to do what I can to support another great Buick event.

Thanks for the very interesting viewpoints.

Just wanted to express my disappointment that the event may not happen-- several of my racing friends and I are unable to make it to BG this year and were hoping to use Bristol as a substitute.

I know we all have some willingness to pay to keep it going.

Scott

Weather Forecasts 2002

After previously "snorkeling" at Bowling Green for 5-days, the earlier (wrong) weather forecasts for Bristol were real discouragements.

Hoping for a terrific 2003!

:) :) :)

Jim, if you have it I will come as I have for the last three years. Although my car has been down for all three years I still came to see the races, buy from the vendors, and meet Buick people. And if I don't get the GN going this year I will race my 97 T/A WS6 (black of course) if I have to.

Jim Willett
Zack Willett

Bristol BOP needs to happen!!!!!!

I always enjoy Bristol....Ya Think the crowd would be bigger if it was not so close to the Year One Bash?....Is the Year One Bash gonna happen this year again? I dont know if my buddy I was helping last year will be there this year. He won the Quick 32 in his Gold 9 Second 64 Pontiac GTO....That car is For Sale minus engine and trans cause he bought a tube chassis 68 Firebird. Heading for 8 second times before long. He will be there if they get it done in time. Come on Jim.....Get your head on right and make the Bristol BOP happen!!!!!!!!!!!! Russ :cool: