Is Alky Set-up A Necessity?

Stamos69

I have been out of the TR scene for about 15 years or so, but I was solidly into it from 1990 until about 2000 when my son was born and I got rid of my last TR.

My TR ran a best of 12.30's (closed exhaust) with the following mods: 3" DP, 45lb injectors, Adj. FPR, TE44 turbo, ATR Pitbull chip, some mild porting to the upper plenum, intake , turbo inlet as wel as the hot and cold side of the turbo. My times were ran using no more than 19# of boost on a mixture of 116 race gas and 93 pump fuel.

My plans for my current TR are really no different. I want a decently quick street car that is reliable (as reliable as TR can be). I have bought, but yet to receive all parts: 3"DP, Scan master, 60# injectors(w/chip), Adj. FPR and Front mount IC. My plans are to drive it 95% of the time on the street with the occasional trip to Atco still not exceeding 19# of boost max.

For this set-up is an alky kit a necessity or just a "nice to have" for a cushion of safety in the event of bad fuel/overboost situation?

Thanks in advance.

Addressing your old car, running 19lbs on a 44 is really not doing anything. You could get about the same results with a stock turbo. I would not try to run over 15 or so without supplimenting the octane by either an octane booster or alky injection. You can play chemist and add toluene to make 100 octane or pay silly money for race gas but alky injection, especially Julio's kit is very reliable and easy to install. I would not fear it. TT chip is adjustable and a perfect complement to the alky.

Addressing your old car, running 19lbs on a 44 is really not doing anything. You could get about the same results with a stock turbo. I would not try to run over 15 or so without supplimenting the octane by either an octane booster or alky injection. You can play chemist and add toluene to make 100 octane or pay silly money for race gas but alky injection, especially Julio's kit is very reliable and easy to install. I would not fear it. TT chip is adjustable and a perfect complement to the alky.

So what would be a safe boost level w/ ALKY when running a TE-44 to take advantage of the larger turbo?

all of it
mid 20s is the norm for 11.50s but pushing 30# isnt out of the question if you keep an eye on the tune and your fueling capabilities and dont run it lean

My previous TR never really reached it's potential due to marriage/kids/divorce , but seeing as my son is now 15 and I am no longer married (praise Jesus!) I can see this TR through.

For the time being I will be running a stock turbo (with some mild grinding etc) to see how fast I can go on the stocker then upgrade some more. I may end up doing the alky kit just for the peace of mind and in anticipation of future upgrades.

on alky the stocker can surpass your past te44 times

Last edited:
an alky the stocker can surpass your past te44 times

While still running no more than 19# of boost?

How much boost can you run with minimal wear to your internals with alky? I am not looking to set the world on fire with this car, just have a reasonably quicky street/cruising car that doesn't require me wrenching on it non-stop.

The engine that is currently in it has roughly 100k miles and was babied prior to my ownership. I have yet to run leakdown tests to determine for sure, but will very soon.

Like posted above 15 lbs is all you want to run on 93. If you want to run more boost add the alky kit

Like you I'm recently back in a GN. Alky Control, Turbo Tweak chip and a scan master is the only way to go now. Way better then the past stuff.

I dont feel qualified to comment with some of the heavy hitters in this thread due to lack of experience, but from what ive read on the board plenty have run 20 lbs + with only a slic on 93 no alky, username ikle comes to mind..
I would "guess" that a front mount would enable you to run 19lbs w/out alky but that might end up causing other issues ie surge, lag, mismatched combo etc... literally my 2 cents

How much boost can you run with minimal wear to your internals with alky? I am not looking to set the world on fire with this car, just have a reasonably quicky street/cruising car that doesn't require me wrenching on it non-stop.

The engine that is currently in it has roughly 100k miles and was babied prior to my ownership. I have yet to run leakdown tests to determine for sure, but will very soon.
How much boost isn't as important as how good is the tune. I ran 27 on alky for years. I would be thinking timing chain at this point.

These engines are pretty tuff. I would worry more about tearing the trans up.

Like Pronto says its all in the tune , I am at 17 lbs on pump gas with just bolt ons , tune for no KR and most likely it will live , alky is a way for more bang for your buck if you go that route and being safe with more boost and pump gas .

IMO . . .
Learn to tune it with the current parts around 14-15 psi boost . . With good working and verified parts . . . before adding the alky variable. At this level you can afford making some mistakes.

Timing chain, valve springs, PowerLogger, clean injectors with matching chip, fuel pump, spring cleaning, brakes, tires, suspension, converter . . . all come to my small mind. Lol

Oh . . . . and oil selection/ decision. lol

Back to alky . . .
My buddy runs 26psi with a 44 on a stock longblock with springs, with alky single nozzle PAC set to 6-7 for about 3 years . . . But he is not getting the performance out of it in relation to the boost number. So it can be done . . . But it does not mean the car is goimg faster . . . .
The mass flow and related cylinder pressures for a given combo are more important than a boost number.

Last edited:
^^^this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, this is the kind of info I was hoping for!

Next year's plans are for a trans rebuild/upgrade and either a ported set of iron heads or if I can swing them, a set of Champion aluminum. Ugh, then comes paint, etc...etc..etc....etc.

Yep, the fever is back in full effect.

As you already know it was fairly easy to run low 12's. With a smaller jetted Alky injection running 19-20psi and the timing reflecting the cylinder pressure you will have. The tuning window is narrower with alky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you already know it was fairly easy to run low 12's. With a smaller jetted Alky injection running 19-20psi and the timing reflecting the cylinder pressure you will have. The tuning window is narrower with alky.

That's good information to know. I think I will get the tune right with the parts I have ordered then look ahead to when I step it up.

With regards to running low 12's previously: Yes, it was fairly easy, but I like the fact that monitoring and tuning technology is way better now then it was then! I started out back then with just a knock detector on my dash...what a waste that was! The pretty lights told you that you were beating the hell out of your pistons....congrats!