Is Alky Set-up A Necessity?

With regards to running low 12's previously: Yes, it was fairly easy, but I like the fact that monitoring and tuning technology is way better now then it was then! I started out back then with just a knock detector on my dash...what a waste that was! The pretty lights told you that you were beating the hell out of your pistons....congrats!
It's definitely easier to dial in a car with the correct equipment but imo more engines are more heavily damaged today by operator error than they are today. You should have a fun reliable car with a low boost tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont feel qualified to comment with some of the heavy hitters in this thread due to lack of experience, but from what ive read on the board plenty have run 20 lbs + with only a slic on 93 no alky, username ikle comes to mind..
I would "guess" that a front mount would enable you to run 19lbs w/out alky but that might end up causing other issues ie surge, lag, mismatched combo etc... literally my 2 cents
While not impossible to have setups that run 20+ psi on 93 octane, typically you will have to give up something to do so, its not happening in Florida in the summer, and not making full power. Case in point you get imports that run 24 psi on 93.. but run 8 degree's timing. So once you start jacking up the timing and boost.. you find the limits of 93 very quickly.
Bottom line you can't fight octane the meth kit will provide. Thats why you have guys upwards of 30 psi on 93 octane. You can fight it and spends 1000's on IC, Turbo's, heads, mods to make it more efficient on 93.. in the end.. the guy with the small turbo and alky kit will stomp a mud hole in your plans..with minimal investment.
Buick's are easy. Boost, timing, and octane. Limit any of those.. and whalla there you have it.

Want a fast Buick on plain 93, build a low 9 second TSM combo.. and turn the boost down so it run 10's at low boost. Spend 40k on that setup, or build a mild Buick that runs 10's with simple bolt ons and a meth kit. Its all $$

Once you get your scan master and chip.. and start tuning .. turning up the boost.. you will have your personal scenario to contend with.

Julio is correct. Back in September I drove my car down to Maryland from NY not knowing how fast of a street car it really was. My combination is a little overkill, however I always believed it would need to be in race trim to run single digit time slips. The first pass down the track with nothing but lowered air pressure in the drag radials netted me a 9.70. The next pass shaved another 10th before we realized traction was unachievable. I drove the car back to NY with that tune in it.

I felt a lot different on the way home.:D