Is 18 psi of boost too much for my hot air GN ??

Spooling supercrazy

Ok, I recently posted my recent upgrades . They are a 3" down pipe, turbonetics turbo, and a front mount intercooler. Ls1 f body radiator with dual electric fans, 180 thermostat. Internals are forged speed pro pistons, moly rings, comp cam, comp springs, comp timing chain, king rod and main bearings. Engine is freshly rebuilt blue printed and balanced. I think it has stock injectors,pump,intake, regulator .. Ect. My chip is a (summit racing) hypertech thermomaster. I just adjusted the wastegate to 18 psi. The car runs awesome !!! Its not as fast as my turbo ls1 but I don't think it would take much to match it if I were to add the alcohol injection. The car does not show any signs of strange noise. I do NOT have a scan tool and I still got the stock ECM. My question is this, Is 18 psi too much?

Ok, I recently posted my recent upgrades . They are a 3" down pipe, turbonetics turbo, and a front mount intercooler. Ls1 f body radiator with dual electric fans, 180 thermostat. Internals are forged speed pro pistons, moly rings, comp cam, comp springs, comp timing chain, king rod and main bearings. Engine is freshly rebuilt blue printed and balanced. I think it has stock injectors,pump,intake, regulator .. Ect. My chip is a (summit racing) hypertech thermomaster. I just adjusted the wastegate to 18 psi. The car runs awesome !!! Its not as fast as my turbo ls1 but I don't think it would take much to match it if I were to add the alcohol injection. The car does not show any signs of strange noise. I do NOT have a scan tool and I still got the stock ECM. My question is this, Is 18 psi too much?

My personal opinion is turn the boost down to 12 lbs. Get a wide band 02 sensor and a powerlogger as a start. Look at my signature. Do not think that your motor is stronger than knock. It is all in the tune. Ask before you blow it up. Been there two times and am not going back.

18 psi on what fuel?
As long a there is no detonation, you are good.
If on 93, I'd go buy a lottery ticket. :cool:

Your setup sounded good until the whole: stock injectors, regulator, pump....etc....dial it back before it goes "kablooyaca!!"

I was afraid that i might hear that.guess I'm gonna turn it down. I am using 93 octane and 1 step colder plugs( autolite 24's) Is knock something you can physically hear? If the motor (blows) , what goes?.... Head gasket?.. I seen on another thread that the chip I'm using was good for at least 16 psi? Is that true?thank you all for your advise!

That HYPERTECH chip is crap. I tend to agree unless you are 100% sure no knock and you were using 110 racing gas at the track, turn it down to 14-15 lbs. Do yourself a favor, convert to a 86-87 ECM and get a Turbo Tweak chip. Upgrade your fuel pump and hot wire the pump.

Correction.
I missed the fm ic part on the setup. With that, 18 psi sounds reasonable. Still need a way to monitor detonation though.
You may not win the lottery after all. :(

Well the car is a HOT AIR but is undergoing some upgrades.I had contacted turbo tweak a couple weeks back and they said highest boost they could do for a chip was 16-18 psi with stock injectors,pump and intercooler.The evo intercooler I am using does a super job! Basically no lag! Feels like its just the right size. Spools super fast! Runs cool also. getting rid of the stock radiator and clutch fans was prob my best mod.Might just put it at 15-16 for now.if anyone has any suggestions please throw them out there. Does anyone know how much power alcohol injection would add? I got a snow kit off ebay cheap a few months back and I have been debating about putting that on.

....I'm pretty sure a hot air car that has an intercooler on it is an intercooled car...and is no longer a hot air car....I could be wrong. Sorry I blew up.

I am gonna be flamed for this, but I am gonna say you are in HOT AIR Configuration (turbo and throttle body in stock location). If you are lowering intake temps via alky/water/methanol, intercooler or NOS, are you really HOT AIR? I'm just saying..... I would caution you about fuel and fuel pressure. A intercooled or alky car is more forgiving than a pure HOT AIR. For every lbs of boost, your fuel pressure should match. If you get a Turbo Tweaked Chip, it calls for 42 lbs of fuel pressure (with line off adjustable regulator), thus you would need 60 lbs of fuel pressure @ 18lbs of Boost.

Unless you have a bigger pump (340l), adjustable regulator, fuel gauge and a hot wire kit, I would lower boost to 15-16lb. Your car tuning is critical, TPS setting, fuel pressure, no vacuum leaks and no exhaust leaks.

HOT AIR cars are picky. They are NOT all alike.

What about E85 as just a fuel? Don't see the logic in calling a car with a FMIC "hot AIR".....maybe I'm just dense?

You are not dense. HOT AIR is HOT AIR. Once you cool the Hot Air regardless of the means: chemical and/or intercooled, are you really HOT AIR or Cool Air.

No worries chuck....lol. The temp of the air entering my combustion chambers isn't cooled chemically, nor by any sort of intercooler....it's no cooler than the air entering the chambers of a bone stock 84-85 tr.....THAT is how I define "hot air". That's all I'm sayin....;)

You are not dense. HOT AIR is HOT AIR. Once you cool the Hot Air regardless of the means: chemical and/or intercooled, are you really HOT AIR or Cool Air.

So any hot air with alky(most) are no longer hot air cars?

WAHOO
Bottom line it is your car... Pure Hot Air, Hot Air alky, Hot Air E85, Hot Air NOS, and Hot Air Intercooled. Bottom line, we all have different ideas to being FAST... That is all that matters ;)

No worries chuck....lol. The temp of the air entering my combustion chambers isn't cooled chemically, nor by any sort of intercooler....it's no cooler than the air entering the chambers of a bone stock 84-85 tr.....THAT is how I define "hot air". That's all I'm sayin....;)

Well, I see what your saying:). But when you are part of the TURBO FARM WEST... You guys set the bar high and rock out hard :):):)

Well, I see what your saying:). But when you are part of the TURBO FARM WEST... You guys set the bar high and rock out hard :):):)

I had an opportunity to meet some of the TRW guys two years ago now...its was interesting, needless to say, they are an interesting group and lots of fun