Is 18 psi of boost too much for my hot air GN ??

Well, I guess I have no choice but to stay put at 15 psi for now. The next step from here is a new fuel pump,regulator which is all required using a TT chip. That's $300 bucks!!! That's only a gain of MAYBE 3 psi after getting those 3 things. I might eventually just do the alky injection since I already got the kit. The GN at this point feels like it has a respectable amount of power for now. But I will say..... It's addicting!

Even at 15-16lbs with race gas, get some seat time at the track and see where you are at. Time slips will let you know where you are at. As far as the fuel upgrades, you will be able to go past 20lbs IF your car can tolerate it and scanner number are fine.

......To be... Or Not to be... (Hot Air) that is the question?
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, walks like a duck ... It's a duck! In this case if the GN has the "Hot Air". intake , draw type throttle body , different timing cover, turbo manifolds.. ect, its built on the "hot air" platform . Now, anyone can take a double cheese burger and add Mac sauce to it, but that still don't make it a Big Mac does it? Well if I add an intercooler to the " hot air" platform it's just inter-cooled that's all ! Right . Where else would I get the right hot air info I need?

Even at 15-16lbs with race gas, get some seat time at the track and see where you are at. Time slips will let you know where you are at. As far as the fuel upgrades, you will be able to go past 20lbs IF your car can tolerate it and scanner number are fine.

This post is dead on right. Hot air cars do not like a lot of timing. I stopped at 16 degree timing at 20 lbs boost on 93 octane and methanol. I run my car rich with fueling. I also am leaving 40 hp on the table in order to be safe.

......To be... Or Not to be... (Hot Air) that is the question?
If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, walks like a duck ... It's a duck! In this case if the GN has the "Hot Air". intake , draw type throttle body , different timing cover, turbo manifolds.. ect, its built on the "hot air" platform . Now, anyone can take a double cheese burger and add Mac sauce to it, but that still don't make it a Big Mac does it? Well if I add an intercooler to the " hot air" platform it's just inter-cooled that's all ! Right . Where else would I get the right hot air info I need?

I hope I can clarify this for you to understand. 86-87 cars do have a intercooler. Their turbo is moved off the turbo. The ECM is different. The cars also have a electric fan to promote cooling and reduce drag of engine. GM did all of this to improve and add 35-45 hp. However your car is now intercooled, but you are using the Hot Air ECM. The Hot Air ECM and turbo/throttle body doesn't like much timing (16-18 degrees at best). The Turbo is mounted to the throttle body. The radiator and clutch fans are really NA V6 Regal parts. If you can learn the HOT AIR learning curve, you will be able to tune ANYTHING... Tuning a HOT AIR is all in attention to detail. Using the SEARCH and research HOT AIR tuning. Do not be afraid to ask... I had to learn the hard way... changed a couple of head gaskets, but I learned a lesson about HOT AIR's... PRICELESS:eek:

Last edited:
Well, I guess I have no choice but to stay put at 15 psi for now. The next step from here is a new fuel pump,regulator which is all required using a TT chip. That's $300 bucks!!! That's only a gain of MAYBE 3 psi after getting those 3 things. I might eventually just do the alky injection since I already got the kit. The GN at this point feels like it has a respectable amount of power for now. But I will say..... It's addicting!
If you think $300 is alot of cash to spend on fuel system components that will insure that your motor stays together....I'd hate to see your eyes bug out when you try to push the limits and make the hot air fast. :eek: Trust me (and all the others in this section) it will only get more expensive from here. Lol. This $300 would be very well spent and is a cheap ins policy. Headgasket replacement, or worse... crank/block replacement, is FAR more expensive....;)

If you think $300 is alot of cash to spend on fuel system components that will insure that your motor stays together....I'd hate to see your eyes bug out when you try to push the limits and make the hot air fast. :eek: Trust me (and all the others in this section) it will only get more expensive from here. Lol. This $300 would be very well spent and is a cheap ins policy. Headgasket replacement, or worse... crank/block replacement, is FAR more expensive....;)
^^^This. Budget $1000 with chip, injectors, maf, translator, hotwire, scanmaster. That will just buy bottom line admission into the game. Add turbo, trans, converter, motor mounts, brakes, tires, headers, downpipe, exhaust, heads, cam, cooling system, . . . .

The real questions are: Can your wallet support 10 sec power? And do you have the patience for it? :eek:

I like to build on a budget. If the stock injectors are good to run... Say 11's then that's good for me.
.....For now anyways. So far I only got about $550 bucks on the upgraded turbonetics turbo with new carbon seal and backing plate, 3" down pipe and the intercooler with piping. After all that stuff, this car is a TOTALLY different car! Oh I also put a billet servo in the trans to help it out a little. All this for a bit over $550. I might just leave it the way it is for now or just add the alky inj and run 20 and up psi

With all that you have in the car, fill up with 93+ and get some seat time at track. Stock Hot Airs run mid to high 15 second 1/4 mile time. With your changes, mid 13 second would not be bad. High 12 seconds would be with upgraded fuel components. Take notes on runs. Until you upgrade your fuel system, I would not add alky just yet. Most people do not base line their car when purchased. I noticed that you added a billet servo, is this the only thing you have done to the tranny? Most Hot Air trannys (BQ) respond well to .500 boost valve and billet servos. As you increase power, do not forget about tranny and possible tranny cooler.

Trans was rebuilt at one time before I got the car. Shifts good and firm with no problems.i have a B&M trans cooler as well as ebay headers on the way . I trans and converter are more than likely stock. Gonna run it like that for a while. Billet servo was a good investment and was very easy to install. Made the shifts firm.

Just a bit of advise. Each time you make a change (Ebay headers, alky, etc), make base lines run at track, take notes on temps (summer, spring, fall, etc). Make your change and take it to track to see if you are picking up tenths/seconds. Did the car bark second gear before the billet servo?

I'm assuming you meant the tires grabbing the pavement on up shift . No it hasn't done it that hard. I will keep you posted once the headers are on and what I think. I'm not expecting anything spectacular with them though, but you never know.

Hope your right , that would be great! I found a set brand new on ebay that someone didnt get around to using them still in plastic. I got them for $100 bucks!!! Hope their worth it!