Intercooler Spray

highboostgn

Has anyone ever done nitrous intercooler spray to freeze the intercooler and cool the air down more on a TB? Just Curious

I've seen these using C02, not nitrous though. Thought about it but decided it was to much of a pain for me

Going to try and play around with a few things this sommer. Will start a thread and post data when it happens.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Yea I've heard of doing C02 as well..Seems it would be a lot cheaper....Isnt Heat suppose to be better more for the alky though?

Yea I've heard of doing C02 as well..Seems it would be a lot cheaper....Isnt Heat suppose to be better more for the alky though?

This was a trend years ago with the import crowd it seemed to be economically impractical because of the large amounts of (whatever) gas consumed for the little cooling that was achieved.

not actually injecting into the motor..on the front of the IC
Nitrous is flamable and since there's a possibility of a spark under the hood I wouldn't even consider doing it. CO2 or a water mixture finely sprayed would be safe enough and the WRX STI has a sprayer from the factory to spay fluid on the intercooler. It should work or Subaru wouldn't add it to the car from the factory.:D

charlief1 said:
Nitrous is flamable and since there's a possibility of a spark under the hood I wouldn't even consider doing it. CO2 or a water mixture finely sprayed would be safe enough and the WRX STI has a sprayer from the factory to spay fluid on the intercooler. It should work or Subaru wouldn't add it to the car from the factory.:D

I didn't think nitrous oxide was flammable? I have heard of nitrous sprayed onto the ic before but "cold" comes from nearly anything that is compressed.

I didn't think nitrous oxide was flammable? I have heard of nitrous sprayed onto the ic before but "cold" comes from nearly anything that is compressed.
It's a mixture of pure O2 and Nitrogen. The N makes it cooler and the O2 causes a more rapid burn. That's why you have to add fuel if you use N2O.

It's a mixture of pure O2 and Nitrogen. The N makes it cooler and the O2 causes a more rapid burn. That's why you have to add fuel if you use N2O.

Neither of which are flammable. O2 will allows combustion (oxidzer), but is not a fuel. This is what I have always been told. Someone more advanced chemistry I'm sure could clarify.

Nitrous Oxide in itself isn't flammable but when mixed with flammable gases it aids in the combustion process.
For example if you had a NO2 cylinder leaking in your basement and the gas made its way to the gas fired heater the flames would not lead back to the cylinder and blow up. But you would have the home heating system from Hell and it would probably be melted out.

Has anyone ever done nitrous intercooler spray to freeze the intercooler and cool the air down more on a TB? Just Curious
I just installed a 'dry" system on mine.Its a homemade lil job-But Im spraying mine after the mas.before the turbo.
Ive tried it on the street with a tiny jet in it[28].Really spools it up fast!Gained a bout 1.5lbs boost.I was actually dealing with a bad 02 that day
so my 02 readings were low-new 02 instaled,I will try the nitrous again.
the purpose of this was to spool it faster at the track,and help cool the intake charge-no numbers yet,but will soon enough.