Intercooler ideas? pics?

A friend of mine has the Mease unit on his with the custom air dam, I'll see if I could get some pics from him.

Well, it has been a year since my first original post...we have just now got the engine back from the m-shop...long story...I still am doing an I/C and have yet to find many pics...here are my opinions :wink:

powerstroke I/C works, just looks pretty bad, IMO.
2 side mounts=flow issues...
Stock location air-air = easiest, prob. way to go
Still working on the piping w/o cutting for FMIC.

We will have the engine in the chassis in about 3 weeks, and then the Downpipe and Wastegate fab begins, then on to the I/C. We are excited, just have had not enough hours in the days lately!

Will post back, and thanks for some Ideas Guys...post some pics if anybody has of the DeQuick layout :biggrin:

-reed

I was hoping to run the IC pipes under the car like tony appears to do in the pics...I think this is the direction we will go on ours too. I am hoping to build a small "air dam" to direct some air up there!

Do not see it being too big of a challange :cool:

Thanks for the link!
reed

I am curious as to what kind of "flow issues" you found with the twin side intercoolers? In talking with ATI they seem to be having great results with this set up. Just wondering what you found :confused: :confused: :biggrin:

Ram Air TTA said:
I am curious as to what kind of "flow issues" you found with the twin side intercoolers? In talking with ATI they seem to be having great results with this set up. Just wondering what you found :confused: :confused: :biggrin:

I have not found a real "simple" way to layout the plumbing...you would want to run them in parallel, not a series so the "boost" will see one large air path...in other words, "Y" off of the compressor outlet, one side of the "Y" to each I/C inlet, then to the T-body...not out of the compressor into one I/C, then out to the second I/C and finally to the T-body...all of the "Y" pipes would make for alot of tedious fabrication. I can fit some cores in the TTA inner fenders that would flow 550~ CFM each, so the core flow is not a real issue...maybe just the thought of making all that tubing look like it "belongs" would be the biggest drawback. :)

FWIW, most of my DSM 3KGT friends as well as some 300zx TT buddies have all ditched the smaller "side mount" intercoolers in favor of the larger FMICs, with great success.

We replaced a pair of I/C's off of an Procharger kit on an LS1 with a liquid-air core and picked up almost 2 psi on the data logger...but their (twin) system uses some very restrictive plumbing, IMO. Just re-tubing it could help alot.

I could always twin turbo the TTA, or the TTTA :biggrin: , then we could use two I/C cores without all that hassle of "Y-ing" together the pipes out of one turbo!

--reed

1BADDAM said:
A friend of mine has the Mease unit on his with the custom air dam, I'll see if I could get some pics from him.

I have heard good things from the GN guys on his core...would like to see one installed on a TTA, I know it would work very well...just like to see how it fits in the chassis.

If you could get some pics, that would be nice...I need to do a little search and find the diminsions of his I/C and measure it up...

Thanks,
Reed

Just an FYI, my car has the Dequick installed.. it sees 190-195 degree's data logged on the FAST at 25 PSI with a te64-1 turbo. It also has an air dam made out of aluminum previous owner made, truth is air aint going through it.

Chemical intercooling "is" the solution on the TTA. At BG, my IAT were 5 above ambient through the traps. Same IC, turbo, airdam, etc.. no changes.

A nice stock location and alky.. put the car into the 9's with ease..assumming the rest is there.

A vortech aftercooler mounted on top of the stock garrett may hold the key. It looks like it'll fit from the measurements I've looked up. The only problem is the air is now passing through two mediums. I do not know the pressure loss going through two IC and how it would affect the aircharge or boost!

Just something to think about

Razor said:
Just an FYI, my car has the Dequick installed.. it sees 190-195 degree's data logged on the FAST at 25 PSI with a te64-1 turbo. It also has an air dam made out of aluminum previous owner made, truth is air aint going through it.

Chemical intercooling "is" the solution on the TTA. At BG, my IAT were 5 above ambient through the traps. Same IC, turbo, airdam, etc.. no changes.

A nice stock location and alky.. put the car into the 9's with ease..assumming the rest is there.

soooo your saying use a stock intercooler with a stage 2 :eek: :p

Grumpy said:
soooo your saying use a stock intercooler with a stage 2 :eek: :p

I'd update the core, bigger neck.. alky.. done...

The intake temp sensor is the key to understanding if things are happening for ya.

I love how many put huge front mounts on theyre 13 second GN's.. when they think that'll make them faster.

Only do changes if the temps climb.. then address the issue.

Otherwise, its called spending a buch of money and getting no results..

Bueller.. what bout the THDP on the TTA's? :eek:

:biggrin:

Hmm ,

wish I ever got a DeQuick intercooler that fit my car.

That POS still owes me $800 he screwed me out of. Wow, had a few more chances to bash him today.

Long story short, got one of the first few for TTA's that didnt fir the Pete at ANS and he called me before I installed it and found out it didint fit. Returned it to Pete who sent it to DeQuick and we never got a replacement after caling and emailing him. Then the POS went belly up and split town.

Somewhere somehow I hope he got ran over by a Peterbilt, then I will sleep with a smile :)

Just PO'ed cause I wanted to improve on a stock location. Had a friend who gave me his big necked stock mount from a GN so I am using that currently.

Nice to see with a little trimming and fitting there are still a few more opurtunities for me to get something else in there once I figure out the possible crakced head/head gasket issue

later
Jeremy

Razor said:
I love how many put huge front mounts on theyre 13 second GN's.. when they think that'll make them faster.

No offense, but I have a hard time believing that it makes no difference. It did on my GN with even just a stock turbo. I agree that same money can be better spent, especially on a stock car with basic mods. I also think alky is not for everyone and unfortunately that opinion never gets respected but wgaf.

mark b said:
No offense, but I have a hard time believing that it makes no difference. It did on my GN with even just a stock turbo. I agree that same money can be better spent, especially on a stock car with basic mods. I also think alky is not for everyone and unfortunately that opinion never gets respected but wgaf.

I leave ya with this, Ed Brewer with a stock turbo and a neck'd IC ran 11.37 last fall on his T-type.

Rob Crisafulli ran 132 MPH in the 1/4 with an untouched IC on his TTA class racing it. NMCA.

Everybody always says.. car picked up 3 PSI going to the front mount.. but did it pick up performance at the same boost levels it was at before? So comparing apples to apples.. run car at 20 PSI.. with stock location.. then run car at 20 PSI with front mount. Post the results.. hehe.. I know what they'll be. In reality.. same numbers.. in technical.. there should be a difference.. but negligible for the money spent. Unless we're dealing in a low 10 sec car.

I asked Laz(9.3@145 109) this question a year ago bout running a front mount on theyre car, reason for the front mount was in case the car needed to be "hot lapped" whereby they didnt have enough time in between rounds to cool it down.. there would be a big advantage. But a cool'd stock location wont get heat soaked for a pretty good ways down the track.

I wont get into overheating issues cuased by radiator blockage, surge issues, and custom fabbing required... when not needed.

Yes, alky is not for everyone. As it requires maintenance. But neither is a 10 second car ;) . As it requires maintenance.

My point is dont add/change parts cuase you think there is an issue. Get the data first.. then make a change. Cuase throwing mods at a car is not how to improve its performance.. unless there is data indicating a particular problem. This is why we can go sooooo far on the stock GM parts everyone is sooooo eager to replace. Cuase it sounds like it will :rolleyes:

Who would think a car can trap 133 MPH with a stock GN MAF ;)

No argument, but anyone and everyone pulls examples of cars and times.
I'll find you something that says Elvis ran 10.20 in a stock TTA on his way to Walmart :)

The real point, as you have detailed, is the combination and sequence of what was done. It's been noted a hundred times by Grumpy alone how fast you can go with a stock IC or even just a Duttwieler neck. My TTA had a liquid IC and front mount (neither run by me) and I may stick my GN Dutweiler neck IC in there for the very reasons you cite.

But you know as well as I do, people want what they want and will do what they want in spite of facts, numbers, logic, advice, etc.

If I had a still in the backyard I'd run alky in everything I own, except maybe the lawnmower (but definitely the weed-wacker!)

RobC also had/has a Mark Jackson 17(?) row from the Regal in the Festival car that bolted right in.

There are lots of things being done out there that would have been called impossible back when I first started playing with the turbo Buicks...My GN currently has a TTA intercooler with a heavly ported neck, the end tanks have been cut off and all of the tubes have been "bell mouthed" to direct the air into the core...all of the paint has been stripped off of the fins, and anything else to make some more power and to keep a stock appearing look under the hood. And untill I put the Stage 2 headed engine in the GN, that intercooler will stay.

I have been around all kinds of turbo cars over the past 15 or so years, and I will say nothing but praise for alky, it is the turbo fuel of choice. I have thought long and hard about taking the I/C off many times and just giving it a good dose of methanol. :biggrin:

I like it when somebody posts that "you need to mod your I/C first, or put a xx row stretched, or how bout this FMIC etc..." but everybody is quick to say that you dont really need a bigger throttle body. Maybe the secret is to slow down all that air in the intercooler so it has more time to cool it off! ;)

Oh well...I think lots of people just need to mod there car to get their daily fix...I know I do :cool:

The TTA does not lend itself to a FMIC very well, really dont want it to run hot cruising down the interstate...and not to mention the drag a nice "scoop" will create at 130 plus. Just hard to see 550+hp worth of air going thru a stock loc. intercooler...but in the back of my mind I know it will (my GN made 465 rwhp on the modded stocker). But the front mount sounds sooo cool.

Thanks guys...keep it coming!

I will put the iat in the uppipe and get some readings when I can get a damn minute to work on it. I think sitting in front of the radiator with the Z28 air dam it'll push a lot of air through the IC. We shall see...