Intercooler ideas? pics?

junkbrick

We are starting on our TTA intercooler quest...we will more than likely be fabbing ours from scratch, but I have searched around for some pics with very little success...we will stay stock location and air to air...just interested if anybody has some non-store bought pieces on their car, we would like some ideas. Relocation of the oil filter and possibly the cooler will be in the mix...I have heard that Dequick made a "front mount" for somebody custom, did not have any luck finding out much on it though. We are going to come up with something that will work I hope!

Thanks,
Reed

Originally posted by junkbrick
I have heard that Dequick made a "front mount" for somebody custom, did not have any luck finding out much on it though.

I belive he made a run of them(TTA V2 front mounts)and I have one on my car. I see you want to stay stock location but if your interested in trying front mount I'd be happy to send some pics of mine if it will help.

HTH,
Steve

Steve,
I am open to any options, and I would love to see some pics... we have run as fast as 11.42 @119.6 with our stock core, but have to go alot faster this end of season to keep up with some of our buddies. We initally were going to fab a liquid core for the car, but wish to keep it a little more street friendly! I have not measured up anything yet and would really like the flow capability of a larger than stock location core would flow, and I built a psudo-low/front mount for an Iroc with a S/C years ago...some minor surgery to the car was of course required and am not to up on cutting the TTA. If you could share some pics with me it would be of some help.

Thanks, and my e-mail is below,
Reed
reedp231@yahoo.com

Originally posted by junkbrick
Steve,
some minor surgery to the car was of course required and am not to up on cutting the TTA.

Cutting up the car is the key item. Not to oversimplify or belittle the effort, but lots of people can make an intercooler; measure the core, weld on the tanks and bend pipe.

Ironically, the Dequick V1 front mount from a TR fits a TTA perfect. I was at a Buick vendor and we had one and noticed it looked like the front area of the TTA. Tried it... fit right in.

The real issue is getting air into it. Some type of modified air dam is a must and I think Steve has done this. A friend of mine had a great idea. If it wasn't a TTA, I'd do it in a minute. His idea was to use the lower valance of the next gen firebird which has the entire front area cutout (like a mouth). It would work awesome and look pretty cool, but I refused to cutup a TTA. If it was a GTA, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Steve's got a good setup. If it were me, I'd just mimic it.

I'll send some pics over in a bit. As far as cutting up the car, my install required removal of some parts which is ok cause you can save them for later. It did require drilling two holes, but in an easily replaceable part.

The intercooler came with a lower air dam to replace the stock one(it's one of the parts that gets left out)and it really seems to be working. I dont have any pics of it but will snap a few shots today while I have the car in the air. It looks a little beat up from 4 years on being on the car but you can get the idea.

Steve

Originally posted by j13smiley
any way you can post those pics for the rest of us to see also?

Yes Steve. I would like to see how u mounted that V2 since I will be doing the same thing soon with my cas v2.

Hmmm, ATI has a nifty twin intercooler setup for their blower applications on 3rdgen TPI birds thrown together, A little rerouting and possibly slight resizing of some piping could do, no surgery on the car. Just a thought FWIW

This is a pic of it on a 3rdgen Z28

attachment.php

How susceptible is that to damage from road debris? It looks like a good setup for racing but maybe not the street?

i have a tta with a deslow front mount on it. i can take photos in a few days. if you still need them---len

just so you know the mease 15 row from my gn fits on the tta fine it's a little low but stiff springs that are on the tta keep it from hitting anything just stay off the speed bumps.

Reed,

Been a while since we talked but I have a Mease 24 row on my GN if you want to take a look for idea's.The core is a bit wider and without a scoop it sits at about the same level as the factory IC/scoop.

It looks like Mease "bent" the inlet over on his bigger IC's for better ground clearance.My IC inlet is almost touching the IC core.

If you want to make it easy on yourself and very profitable,mod a powerstroke IC to fit with bottom inlets/outlets.Theyll sell like crack.;)

I only mentioned the ps IC because of its size relation to the v2.

We have looked at the 2 individual cores, and are certian they will work well for certian applications...ours is a little question-able...the combo is 235 ci girdled bottem end, fully worked tta heads, custom roller cam, ported and welded stock headers and intake, speed pro ecu, 83# inj, GT 71 turb, 200 tranny, stock rear end (till it gives) and drag radials to make it interesting... we really want to shoot for the low 10's, and need to make 650 or so Hp to help motivate this project...I have some friends who have pulled off hi tens with the stock location off the shelf units (some nice numbers, but they had a couple of cid's on us, but we have the weight and aero advantage on our side).... I really like the looks of the Mease unit, but kinda afraid of the clearance issue...but it and the PTE unit would work. Just curious because the TTA is so left out in the aftermarket compared to the GN...Love to see everybody elses approch to the "airflow issues" of the TTA. Lets see some ideas!

Reed

Originally posted by broke1

If you want to make it easy on yourself and very profitable,mod a powerstroke IC to fit with bottom inlets/outlets.Theyll sell like crack.;)

Powerstroke IC has been 133 mph in Red's T Type and Nick Micale thinks theyre as good as Cotton's FMIC.

I was told Mease was going to modify and sell the PSIC in the same way im talking.

junkbrick said:
I have heard that Dequick made a "front mount" for somebody custom, did not have any luck finding out much on it though. We are going to come up with something that will work I hope!

Thanks,
Reed

Old thread but anyway..

I got one of Dequicks ICs. It fits really great.
No problem to get air up to it either.

melvin said:
Old thread but anyway..

I got one of Dequicks ICs. It fits really great.
No problem to get air up to it either.

Yo Melvin!

The biggest problem is that Tony De Quick is out business since a few years..... :(

You are lucky bastard to own of his masterworks!

PS: I might have some spare money to sponsor your trip down here in Sept.

Just remembered that i have a unused cutombuild watercooled TTA IC.

Attachments

• watercooled ic1low.jpg
    watercooled ic1low.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 351
I hacked mine. The car isn't a collector to me. Besides the bumper supports can easily be replaced. It's off of an international 4700/4900. With how low the car sits running the outlets down and under I thought would be close. So I decided to send the outlets out towards the front of the car then back under tucked very close to the bottom radiator support going through 2 3.25" holes in a 1989 Z28 air dam.

Haven't had time to finish it yet. The piping is done, the cutting is done, I just need to fine tune the fit and she'll be ready.

Keep in mind there is enough room to fit a 31x15x3 intercooler on the lower support with the radiator, but not anything else. This intercooler is 30.5x13x3. I trimmed the sides of the radiator support enclosure.

From l;eft to right are the driver's side, pass. side and uppipe to TB. Will post more when I can get a breather from work.....

Oh BTW I had to mod the ps cooler lines as well

Attachments

• fmic 001.jpg
    fmic 001.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 187
  • fmic 002.jpg
    fmic 002.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 167
  • fmic 003.jpg
    fmic 003.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 167