intercooler fan needed with PTE stock location?

crownvic96

well i've upgraded to the f-body radiator, i'm throwing on the RJC pulley set and then i'm putting in the PTE stock location intercooler. is this i/c fan really necessary anymore?

Haven't used an IC fan in 2 years. I don't believe it's needed. Just adds more rotating mass IMO

Had an intercooler bracket come loose on a car once....Fan into intercooler. Fan won....although it was missing a few blades. I say don't run it.

You will benefit from leaving the fan in place. If you do track duty, it will pay dividends with cooler intake air temps when staging.

I have a BGC 23 row stock location stretch intercooler on my green car-
i installed a electric fan on the intercooler and it draws some serious air thru the intercooler-

Do a search on thin electric fans on ebay, if you do enough searching, you will find some "thin" fans avail for cheap.
Dont buy one of the 100.00 "intercooler fans.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=33600&item=7971389005&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

like that but maybe thinner???

BW

i like this electric fan idea. this gives me an excuse to buy that switch panel from mark hueffman and buy an electric exhaust cutout as well. :D :D

Originally posted by Quick6'n'-K.C.
I have a BGC 23 row stock location stretch intercooler on my green car-
i installed a electric fan on the intercooler and it draws some serious air thru the intercooler-

Do a search on thin electric fans on ebay, if you do enough searching, you will find some "thin" fans avail for cheap.
Dont buy one of the 100.00 "intercooler fans.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=33600&item=7971389005&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

like that but maybe thinner???

BW

Have any pics of how you did this??

It might pay dividends when staging, but if a bracket comes loose you'll pay those dividends plus some right back out towards a new cooler....The electric fan sounds like a nice idea. Too each his own. Scott

my car is going to be a daily driver. i have X amount of parts that are going on the car. when they do the car is getting a few shakedown drag runs to get a good tune and maybe a chassis dyno. after that i'll just be putting around town in it :D

Awful nice intercooler to get trashed by the fan...Guinea pig the electric one for us : )

Originally posted by STP
It might pay dividends when staging, but if a bracket comes loose you'll pay those dividends plus some right back out towards a new cooler....The electric fan sounds like a nice idea. Too each his own. Scott

Scott, it's hard to blame a fan for a loose intercooler bracket---although unfortunate. It's like blaming the thrust bearing for a ballooned convertor. The fan still does a very good job of pulling air through the IC.

Just trying to rid crownvic of a potential problem where he could be out another $800 bux. Blame the bolt I guess...Bottom line is if the fan wasn't there I would still have had a good stock core. Hard to tell a bracket is loose buzzing down the road. May not ever happen, but why chance it? Common sense should prevail here....How much could the stock fan possibly reduce IAT's anyways on a daily driver and is it worth the risk? My 86' ate the intercooler up on the Power Tour in '03 while running down the interstate..Never saw it coming. A track only car is a different story.

Im with Scott.I dont run a IC fan with my Mease 24 row.Alky will bring the heat down plenty;)

I hear ya Drew...Only thing it might do is reduce some heat soak sitting in traffic. But how much air could a fan without a shroud possibly pull at 850rpms? The fan won't do squat without a shroud at a dead standstill in traffic unless you live in the Windy City! Not worth the trouble, throw it in the garbage, sell it...Buy a new crank pulley and pour the alky to it : ) At least I can sleep better knowing my fan won't get into my intercooler again.

BTW Drew your sig made me laugh : )