installing heater/air box delete plate

oldtimer

I need some help with removal instructions of the heater/air conditioning box in order to clean up my firewall, prepatory to installing my new stage 2 engine.

I've tried the search tool but I can't seem to find what I want. Seems that it's a bear to do, due to hidden screws etc. I can't make out if I have to take out the dash to get at certain hidden screws ..... this seems a little radical in my opinion.

I would just like the easiest and best way possible in order to install my cover plate.

Anyone got ant websites I can go to with instructions and/or diagrams ?

Any help here would be appreciated ( before I go to any unnecessary dismantling )

Thanks

George

George,

The dash does NOT have to come out. You do have to remove the Inner fender. There are a couple of 7mm bolts that are under the dash(behind the glove box) that are hard to find.

The best advice I can give you is TAKE YOUR TIME. I've removed quite a few, & it always seems new hidden bolts always pop up.

Good Luck

I dont remember any bolts behind the dash but you do have to pull the fenderwell to access all the bolt's if I remember correctly.

If you plan on saving what you took out, then take off the fender and take your time, it's really easier than you might think. I don't know of any sites that would have a diagram for you to go by, sorry. If you don't care about the parts, smash them and that takes about 30 minutes total. :D

If you want to forego removing the inner fender, you can cut slots in the threaded ends of those hidden bolts with a dremel and then turn them out with a screwdriver. They are accessible from the inside of the car, under the dash.

Dont complicate things.The engine is out so just remove the fender well and take the screws out.

10 minute job tops.

broke1 said:
Dont complicate things.The engine is out so just remove the fender well and take the screws out.

10 minute job tops.

:) Yup, I'll take my time and do it right. Inner fender wells coming out.

Thanks for all of the suggestions .... well, with the exception of the 3 lb sledge guys. Wouldn't want you guys working on my car :eek: ;)

George

OK, I've got all 11 screws out of the box and have loosened it slightly away from the firewall. Before I force anything, what do I have to disconnect from under the dash. I have disconnected the one control cable and a vacuum line

Anything else that I'm missing ?? Only see one 7mm screw from the inside, through the glove box, removed it but it certainly didn't appear to be holding anything to the firewall :confused:

Thanks,

George

George ,
from what i remember there is a vent or a bolt holding it inside. Take the pass seat out lay down and take your time looking at it and it will come out with little work. This is from memory when i did it 3-4 years ago.

:) I got it out. Not to much trouble. For what it's worth, I did it a little differently than the norm, apparently.

For the bottom two left hand screws that are in behind the inner fender, I took a hole saw and cut two holes in the inner fender panel from inside the wheel well, approx. where the attaching screws where located and took them out with a socket and extension. Was easy ! I know the purists will cringe at the thought but it saved me taking the inner fender panel out. Put rubber plug seals in the holes to seal them back up ... looks factory !! Perhaps GM should have put access holes there.

I then took the heater/air box apart from the firewall side as if I was taking the heater core out for repairs. With the top off the heater box I was able to see easily where the screws where, that needed to be removed. Voila !

Hope this helps someone in the future. ;)