Installing 6 X 9s

GNDriven

I am trying to install some quality 6x9s (MB Quart) in the old 4x10 slots. I was wondering if anybody has tried the speaker adapters? If they mute the sound any? If they don't sound good, I am going to try and cut and create some kinda of mounting surface in the back to install the speakers. I have heard of cutting the space that is over the backseat arm rest to mount 6x9s. Any comments or suggestions?

I tried the adapters and hated them. Maybe i got a stupid kit, but they wouldn't hold the speaker secure and it would wobble and vibrate. I'm sure others have other opinions. A friend in our local Buick club has them and doesn't have any problems.

I decided to go with replacement 4x10's and am going to put in a small powered pair of 8's.

JMO

I bought a set of 6X9 speakers from Crutchfield and they give you a set of adapters for free and the speaker wire adapters also for free. You just have to specify your car make model and year. You could go online buy the cheapest set of 6x9 speakers and get the adapters for free. I painted mine black because they come bright blue and because I show my car I didnt want to loose any points when it was judged with the bright blue plastic adapters so I bought a 2 dollar can of flat black crylon & painted them. They work awesome and the speakers sound great. Good luck.

I too bought speakers a long time ago from crutchfeild. It came with adaptors that work great for the 6x9's.

a family friend painted it for me about 6 years ago, he passed away though :( I think he did such a good job because I did most of the body work for him, its basically the hardest part and is the most time consuming. If you offer to do the body work before many painters will do an extra good job because of it.

American International and Metra make identical 4 x 10 to 6 x 9 adapters for our cars.

To me the speaker adapter is not too sturdy, what I always do is use 2 1/2" self tapping screws on each corner to secure it better.