installed new valve springs today....

TTAfreak

I bought springs from aggressive auto.....they are the blue stripe, 100# springs.

I did reuse the factory cups with them.

now im reading on this site that some people think the 100# springs are too stiff for our cars.

am I ok using these springs???

after test driving the car, it seems to run fine.

thanks in advance.

:cool:

You said you re-used the factory cups. So in essence you just shimmed the springs increasing their pressure.

Technically you need to measure the height from the head to retainer, then set the spring at that height and measure its pressure. This is called "Installed height". Adding anything under the spring will raise its pressure. So the cups may be the only issue I can see. Its a judgement call when doing something like this..

And... This is hard to do with heads on the vehicle to measure.

On future note.. dont put the cups on. Unless springs are a little weak.

What happens worst case... if the tension is too high on the springs, it can kill the cam.

Automorph, long time eh?.. easy. Just get a compressor and use the fitting on the spark plug. The long bar tool for removing the small block Chevy springs will do the TTA. If you dont have a compressor, nylon rope fed into the cylinder then the piston moved to TDC will keep the valve from dropping.

thanks for the reply razor.

well, its a PITA but I dont mind doing the procedure again and removing the cups, if you think its necessary.

I definately dont want to ruin my cam

I just figured since they were there to start, id use them with the new springs.

I cant imagine that small ammount of thickness creating enough extra presure to kill the cam.....but you definately know more about these cars than I do.

so give me a straight up opinion......if it were you.....would you go back and remove the cups?

Want a straight up... take one spring off, measure the height, go to a machine shop and have them tell you how much pressure is at that height handing them the spring... that will tell you whats up.

No easy McDonalds.. but one spring will tell ya how far off ya are if any. #2 cylinder pass side is easiest. do it with rope so you cant drop a valve.

I used the 100lb springs with cups. No problems 4 years later. I guess it depends if you want to take a chance.