Installed amp and sub....what's wrong?

Dan K

I bought an Alpine MRD-M301 amp and 1 Audiobahn 10" AW1000Q dual voice coil sub.
If it matters, this is on an 04 Monte Carlo and not a Buick.
All stock stereo except the new amp and sub.
A buddy came over and we just finished getting everything hooked up, turned the power on, and the sub just cracks and pops.
He triple-checked where he tapped into the factory amp that's mounted in the trunk for the RCA/speaker level input. He's pretty sure he's got all the wiring right.
The wiring from the amp to the sub is right, and tomorrow I'm going to pull the sub back out of the box and check the wiring from the terminal on the box to the sub.
Since it's a dual voice coil sub and a single channel amp, I ran the positive and negative out of the amp to the positive and negative on the terminal on the sub box.
Then inside the box, ran the positive to 1 of the positives on the sub and the negative to 1 of the negatives on the sub.
Than ran a wire from one positive to the other positive, and from one negative to the other negative. That should get me the 2 ohm load I'm seeking right?
What should I start checking tomorrow to see what's wrong with this sub?
Is it possible the sub is blown, even though it's brand new and has seen very little power?

Stop before BLOW WOOFER

Your Sub is wired WRONG. Hope you have not blowed it. Wire as follows for correct load.
Amp positive to one side of daul v/c positive
Amp negative to other v/c negative
then 1 jumper runs from the remaining pos to the remaining neg
This makes your amp see just 1v/c
Splicing into factory amp wiring not a good idea but not much choice till now. JL audio has a new componet made for just that check out JLaudio.com. If any more questions p/m me or e-mail me I love stereo stuff and have 2 great friends that own stereo shops so can find out anything you need to know.

Wouldn't that make the amp see an 8 ohm load, as it's seeing both 4 ohm coils in series?
The way that it's wired it should be seeing 2 ohms. I think?

I was looking at the wiring diagrams that came with the sub, and at this site to figure out how the wiring should be run out of the amp.

I'll go tryi it the way you described and see what it does.

I guess I was right.
I just got off the phone with tech support at crutchfield, and after describing to him how it was wired he told me that I had it right.
He said that the sub is blown, and they'll send me a new one out monday.
Heck, they even pay for the return shipping on the bad one. :)

that's what I was going to say. That amp will play 2 ohm mono (both 4 ohm vc parallel) all day. I know, I had one.