Injector duty cycle with a 6266 and 80lb injectors

CuzzinOlaf

Some of you might have been following Rick's thread about e85 which is my car. I got the car back from him this weekend and it runs great with the new aluminum GN1 heads, roller cam, and 6266 turbo. The issue we're facing now is the duty cycle for my 80lb injectors is pushing 100% at only 16/17 lbs of boost on e85. Is this possible at such low boost? I know I've read people saying to go 120+ but we're not sure if it could be an issue with the fuel pump or the injectors and I'm looking for thoughts before spending more money. I saw a guy at the track (Tom, chime in if you read this) who was at 95% with ported irons, a 5931 turbo (I think) and a non-roller cam. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm running basic stock motor with add ons on E-85 with a TA-49 and cycle is around 55-65% w/ single pump. Looks like you are ready for 120s as you will be moving a lot more air thru out............you will need a strong pump and bigger return line to compliment the package................the 80s will sell easy........

I'm running basic stock motor with add ons on E-85 with a TA-49 and cycle is around 55-65% w/ single pump. Looks like you are ready for 120s as you will be moving a lot more air thru out............you will need a strong pump and bigger return line to compliment the package................the 80s will sell easy........

Okay, I came from a TA49 but didn't have a power logger to know what my DC was. You don't think the Racetronix double pumper 510lph I have is enough?

The 80s will support you to 11.0 e.t. territory. You'll need 96's or 120's if you want to mid tens and quicker

Some of you might have been following Rick's thread about e85 which is my car. I got the car back from him this weekend and it runs great with the new aluminum GN1 heads, roller cam, and 6266 turbo. The issue we're facing now is the duty cycle for my 80lb injectors is pushing 100% at only 16/17 lbs of boost on e85.

Wait, so you're staying with the evil E85?

I'm undecided right now. I'm at the point I can go either way and need to make a decision. I'm testing my pumps to make sure they're okay and then will go from there. I get what Rick is saying and it makes sense that e85 absorbs more moisture than regular 93 does. Ethanol is hygroscopic and absorbs water from the atmosphere a lot faster than gasoline does. That said, I am at the point of redoing my ECM and going with larger injectors OR where I add Alki and run 93 octane. I like the e85 but like the idea of my engine not having internal surface rust since it sits for a week or more between runs. Maybe it is Thorton's fuel or maybe there is some truth to e85 being bad in certain applications.

Saw 86% IDC with TA49 23lbs of boost. 43lbs Fuel Pressure. This is with a single DW300.

So I had to be up there before. I decided to ditch the e85 and buy an Alki kit. It's proven and there are too many naysayers on here I trust and on other forums.

Did you use octane booster prior to going E-85? What about any previous owners? I have used many brands of E-85 without the "color" issue. Just took apart a friends car. No color issue, my engine, no color issue, a SBC, no issue. I learned a long time ago octane boosters do to an engine what I see in yours.
I'm not going to attempt to persuade you to either fuel. I see way to much bickering, worrying, and assuming going on these days.

Enjoy your car.

Rick is an awesome mechanic and tuner!

I didn't use octane booster and the previous owner ran 93 or race gas on occasion. I have no idea why things were an orange tint (surface rust) and can only agree with Rick that that moisture got into the engine somehow. That said, as much as I love e85, I'm taking the safer path based on MY experience with this fuel. Yea, I'll be jealous of everyone else running it and will have to think it is an issue with my local e85 distributor. If you Google ethanol and hygroscopic you'll find tons of scientific articles on how ethanol absorbs moisture and causes premature rust. I did a quick search and found an article on Forbes website that talks about e15. Read just the first sentence, the rest isn't a concern to me.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe...15-ethanol-is-on-the-way-to-your-gas-station/

I'm undecided right now. I'm at the point I can go either way and need to make a decision. I'm testing my pumps to make sure they're okay and then will go from there. I get what Rick is saying and it makes sense that e85 absorbs more moisture than regular 93 does. Ethanol is hygroscopic and absorbs water from the atmosphere a lot faster than gasoline does. That said, I am at the point of redoing my ECM and going with larger injectors OR where I add Alki and run 93 octane. I like the e85 but like the idea of my engine not having internal surface rust since it sits for a week or more between runs. Maybe it is Thorton's fuel or maybe there is some truth to e85 being bad in certain applications.

I agree that you should go the 93/alky route especially if you D/D drive your car.

There is already up to 10% ethanol in your fuel as mandated by the EPA. That alone is like putting dry gas in the tank which will absorb water although not as bad as E85.

There are the other problems but you already know those as well. I think you will be happy with the better mileage you will get on 93 and the power that the alky will give you when you need it.

It's more economical to run that combo VS. the E85 because you will fill up less often, get more mileage but still have the power you want on demand with a well setup alky system.

Glad to hear you got the car back and got some driving time (tuning) in this year . I read your post just now, and checked out the duty cycle from that ten second pass.I was at 95% right after the finish line .I didn't do as much tuning as i wanted to because of my tire issues ,it was my street tune my fuel pressure at static was 46 psi whoops could have turned it up a little(y).I can not remember how your fuel system was set up line sizes fuel rails etc. .. I was running 6152 , you are running that bigger turbo and intercooler moving a lot more air = more fuel.I read you are going to 93 alky ,. as you know there will still be a lot of tuning at first to get it set up the way your car likes,as with any changes on these cars good to hear you got the powerlogger a must have .With Rick helping you get set up i am sure you will be happy.We will have to get back down to great lakes next summer i will call out my turbo buds from around town the more turbo 6's the better(y). Tom

Those heads are working well to max out injectors on 17psi. Nice work. 93/alky will make those injectors go further too.

I put the car away for the winter and still need to test my fuel pump to see that there aren't any issues. That said, I did have the car out briefly this weekend before storing it and think I saw 70% duty cycle or so with my current setup on 93 @ 17psi. This hasn't been tuned yet and I'm hoping to boost at least to 23lbs with 93/Alki this coming summer.

My old combo was a bone stock engine w/ a TE 60, 79#, Racetronix DP w/ Aeromotive 340's and volt booster. At 27lbs of boost I was 90/95% IDC running a best of 7.23 @ 93mph. I knew I was going much bigger on my current combo so I bought 120's...no regrets.

Also to the injectors. Gas weigh twice as much as E85 so you need doubke the fuel to produce the same power as you would have with gas