Info needed on large SUV's

TurboTer

Zap! Commander
Although I've never really cared for them, I never owned one have been thinking that the time has finally come, after being hit with a hard Winter in NYC. However, if I get one of them, I want to go all out and get the largest I can get for the money. I want something with two back seats, meaning it'll have a seating capacity of 8 or 9. Which SUV's have this? I am looking for something used, 1996 to 1999 maybe. Any suggestions? I like the Expedition and have been looking at them. I'm gonna ASSUME it has two back seats, but not positive. Any others come to mind that aren't crazy expensive?

GMC Suburban/Chevy Tahoe. Pretty cheap in that year range and they have a third row.

Originally posted by Data
GMC Suburban/Chevy Tahoe. Pretty cheap in that year range and they have a third row.

i agree.

we have the escalade esv (suburban sized) and its easier to park than my silverado ex cab was! i can get 8 or 9 in it easily. gas mileage sucks is the only downfall.

you can get a nice 99-2000 burban fairly cheap im sure.

In my opinion, the Suburban/Yukon XL combo is the way to go. The early Expeditions had a su*k engine with very weak horsepower and torque ratings and the same mileage rating as the GM twins. Resale has always been better on the GM twins also just in case you decide you don't want it and have to dump it.

I'd say go for a Suburban or Excursion. I've owned both and they are both great vehicles. If I were shopping for a Suburban, I would look for a 2500 model. Not only will it haul/tow more, it has a heavier drivetrain that will last a lot longer than the 1500 version. A gas Excursion can be had for a small fraction of it's original cost.

If I were to buy a large SUV I'd consider a Expedition with a turbo diesel. :)
Pricey, but well worth it if you're going that route. Otherwise, I'd stick with the GM products.

Originally posted by bishir
If I were to buy a large SUV I'd consider a Expedition with a turbo diesel. :)
Pricey, but well worth it if you're going that route. Otherwise, I'd stick with the GM products.

Ummm, no such thing. I think you might be referring to the Excursion.

you cant go wrong with a Suburban you may as well get the 3/4 4wd 454 :)

my family has worn out 3 suburbans!

Originally posted by TurboTer
Although I've never really cared for them, I never owned one have been thinking that the time has finally come, after being hit with a hard Winter in NYC. However, if I get one of them, I want to go all out and get the largest I can get for the money. I want something with two back seats, meaning it'll have a seating capacity of 8 or 9. Which SUV's have this? I am looking for something used, 1996 to 1999 maybe. Any suggestions? I like the Expedition and have been looking at them. I'm gonna ASSUME it has two back seats, but not positive. Any others come to mind that aren't crazy expensive?

Depends on how big you want to go, I mean, really.
If you want 3 true rows of seating, then any of the GM vehicles can offer that, such as the Suburban, or Yukons, etc.
If you also need lots of room behind the 3rd row seat for peoples luggage, you wont get that in the Yukon or Tahoe, You'll need to go up to the Yukon XL or Suburban. Unfortunately, you'll be paying through the nose for gas bills, because for some inane reason GM has decided not to offer a diesel package in their big SUV's, and regardless of what kind of pipe dreams and out right lies you'll hear, and big SUV is NOT fuel mileage friendly.

The option I went for was the Ford Excursion, for many reasons. I needed a big SUV, with 3 real rows of seats, and still actually have enough room behind the 3rd row to carry everybody's luggage. (It's not advertised as the largest SUV made for no reason).
I needed at least the same or better tow rating as the largest Suburban, but I also didn't want go to the poor farm trying to feed it, so the Excursion Power Stroke Turbo Diesel was the way to fly!!!!
I love this truck, it does everything perfectly, and cruising on the highway (not towing), it can easilly sip fuel at the rate of 21mpg. With the 44 gallon tank and diesel, that means running all day long on one tank. :D

I probably would have gotten a Suburban, but for the lack of a diesel. (I still don't understand GM's logic on that one).

FYI, Yukons & Tahoes did not have 3rd row seats until 2000...good to go with Subs, but an option on them

for the money, a Vortech 350 96-99 Suburban is your best bet. Mileage isn't too bad at about 15 in town, 18 highway.

8 people in an Expidition leaves very little room for anything else.

2000 up Sub's/YXL's are a lot nicer, but cost more.

Thanks for all the info, guys. Rather then reply to all of you individually, I'll just reply to everyone here.

First, I do need third row seating, but I don't need much room after that. However, can a third row be easily in the advent that I need to put something large back there?

Is a Chevy Sububan nearly the same as their GMC counterpart? I've noticed that they are cheaper, and some (all?) have the third row seating.

Anyone know if a Blazer has third row seating? Someone said Yukons & Tahoes did not have 3rd row seats until 2000. Can they be added? Can anyone list all SUV's from 1996-1999 with third row seating? My budget isn't that great, because I'm selling my Trans Am Sunday and I don't wanna be without a car for long.

Anyone have anything for sale? :D

Burbans and Yukon XLs are the same thing. Dont know for sure but I dont think Blazers had 3rd row seats. Another alternative to one of the big SUVs is an Astro. Lots of room, decent power, decent gas mileage, cheaper insurance, and they tow pretty well.

99 Suburban

After being rearended by some drunk driver and lots of back surgery, we upgraded from the wreck replacement Camry to a 99 2WD Suburban and love it!! We hated SUVs until we were kind of forced into one. The 2WD gets good mileage for it's size and under the propane/gas mix it is great. 3rd row seat pops out seating 5 adults with a weeks worth of gear. I would stay away from the early 2K bodies as they have many problems with the new design and parts are still kind of high. The older vortec 350s are all over junkyards from wrecks but the new 327 fetches more$$$$