Incredible new Turbo Compressor Speed Gauge

Syclone0044

Full Street Trim
TurboByGarrett.com - Accessories

TurboSpeedGauge.jpg

TurboSpeedKit_Gauge.jpg

This is the coolest and most useful thing to happen to turbo tuners since cheap Wideband O2 sensors and realtime chip emulators. The possibilities with a gauge like this are just incredible. You can map your turbos on the compressor map and tell exactly when you are near or at the performance limit (a.k.a. "Out of turbo", "point of diminishing returns", etc.). Hell it would just be damn cool to watch your turbo spin to 150,000 RPM every time you spool it. Or to see it run 120,000 RPM at 15 PSI boost but 180,000 RPM at 22 PSI boost, for instance.

One of the best benefits would be the real HARD EVIDENCE you'd get from this gauge, for evaluating the actual performance gains in flow. Say you pony up $2000 to have your heads professionally ported and you know the turbo would peak at 130,000 RPM at 20 PSI boost before. After the heads you see it only goes to 132,000 RPM at 20 PSI. You'd have a strong reason to believe the head porting didn't result in a very significant improvement in flow, otherwise the turbo would have to spin faster to fill the engine to the same manifold pressure as the unported heads. If it went to 150,000 RPM at 20 PSI after the porting you'd know without-a-doubt the heads increased engine flow by a huge amount.

Garrett P/N: 7813280-0001 $415-$425 around the net. Hardly anybody sells it yet. It requires machine work to the turbo to install.

I'm sure the machine work and hefty price tag will keep it out of reach for 99% of the guys out there including me. But damn I'd really like to see the data from one of these on a vehicle!! Especially between two different turbos.

IF you have an XFI or Racepak you would only need the sensor and maching.
But,if you one of those guys that keeps changing turbos...

TurboByGarrett.com - Accessories

TurboSpeedGauge.jpg

TurboSpeedKit_Gauge.jpg

This is the coolest and most useful thing to happen to turbo tuners since cheap Wideband O2 sensors and realtime chip emulators. The possibilities with a gauge like this are just incredible. You can map your turbos on the compressor map and tell exactly when you are near or at the performance limit (a.k.a. "Out of turbo", "point of diminishing returns", etc.). Hell it would just be damn cool to watch your turbo spin to 150,000 RPM every time you spool it. Or to see it run 120,000 RPM at 15 PSI boost but 180,000 RPM at 22 PSI boost, for instance.

One of the best benefits would be the real HARD EVIDENCE you'd get from this gauge, for evaluating the actual performance gains in flow. Say you pony up $2000 to have your heads professionally ported and you know the turbo would peak at 130,000 RPM at 20 PSI boost before. After the heads you see it only goes to 132,000 RPM at 20 PSI. You'd have a strong reason to believe the head porting didn't result in a very significant improvement in flow, otherwise the turbo would have to spin faster to fill the engine to the same manifold pressure as the unported heads. If it went to 150,000 RPM at 20 PSI after the porting you'd know without-a-doubt the heads increased engine flow by a huge amount.

Garrett P/N: 7813280-0001 $415-$425 around the net. Hardly anybody sells it yet. It requires machine work to the turbo to install.

I'm sure the machine work and hefty price tag will keep it out of reach for 99% of the guys out there including me. But damn I'd really like to see the data from one of these on a vehicle!! Especially between two different turbos.

We have several customers using them now. I like them and they are a neat toy, but if you swap turbos much, its a pain to rig everything up.

I dig em.
Doesn't the sensor have to installed in the center section? That would be a real PITA on a dual ball bearing chra. It is basically reading shaft speed RPM.
Very cool tool. It was in the works when I left PTE back in '06. I wouldn't mind having one, but they are pricey to setup.

Patrick

This is good stuff for hardcore racers trying to extract everything and also will help see a problem before its a disaster. This is really good for twin setups to see how well the setup is dialed in. Not really that expensive when you look at the cost of serious race cars. No need for it on 99% of the guys on this board though.

I'd buy it for the dumbest reason possible - to watch it during compressor surge. :biggrin: