In the market for a new turbo, but want to make right decision.

Matt McClung

Hotair guy who owns a I/C
I currently have a worn and passing oil TA49 turbo and want to upgrade. My engine is pretty much stock but I do have mildly ported stock heads, I also have 42 lb injectors on it. Putting the duttweiller neck on and the rjc powerplate. Have a solidly built 2004r and stall converter ( I believe about 3200 stall ). I am willing to do other stuff as needed. How far up can I go up with turbo with my current set up without sacrificing drivability? I just drive on the street to shows and cruises but I really want to have a ton of power to show off at times.

Get another 49 add alky and get setup for 24 psi...with traction and good tune i think you will surprised

Bison has some rebuilt units that would work nice and is very knowledgeable with the advise he gives.
I would contact him for a recommendation and possible purchase.

Get another 49 and run mid 11's and be happy. Otherwise I have a t63 I could sell you cheap.

rmar said:
Bison has some rebuilt units that would work nice and is very knowledgeable with the advise he gives.
I would contact him for a recommendation and possible purchase.

Plenty of new ones also. Or I could repair his 49 easily of the wheels arent damaged.

The intake wheel has a bend in the corner of one or two of the blades. So rebuilding may be expensive and it may just make more sense to upgrade.

Sorry for the delay but I have a couple of pictures of the wheel. There is some missing material from some of the blades.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 163
How about installing a hot wire kit (better wiring to fuel pump), better fuel pump, adjustable fue pressure regulator, high quality fuel pressure gauge, fresh fuel filter and a scan tool while you are getting your turbo rebuilt/replaced?
Conrad