In car head / cam swap

OhioC5

Underwear model
Whose done it? Looks like a pretty simple swap am I nuts for not wanting to pull the engine? I didn't blow a head gasket, just looking to swap on some new heads and roller cam. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I don't see any real obvious trouble. I've been pushing my factory engine pretty hard. Think it's time to flow a little more air. The end of the summer is right around the corner and I'd like to scoot down in the 11's before the season is over. Right now I'm at 12.02 and could probably squeak in the 11's. I don't want to sneak into the 11's though.

I did search, been searching quit a bit. I know about the extra washer on the intermediate studs. I keep hearing this aint no small block. Some guys on here get me a little freaked out. Thats why I want to hear from guys that have done it.

I've done a lot of head cam swaps over the years and I know this is different.

Looks like there's room to slide the cam out without taking the radiator out, maybe just the fan. Is this correct?
I've never pulled a cam sensor. Is it logical to mark it when the engine is at TDC?

Any tips?

I did it once. Pretty self explained. Just get tdc before you start taking it apart

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ok, kind of what I figured, Thanks. I don't think I'll have any trouble. I installed a supercharger on a Porsche that took me 40 hours because there was no room for my hands. This looks great

You could - and lots of folks have done just that.
But the 231 LC2 comes out fairly easily.
I always wonder if the time saved by trying to do it in the car is not offset by the benefits of working on the deep engine part in a controlled environment, and not leaning and crawling in the engine bay, dinging and gnashing everything.
If you're going to go deep in the guts and pull the cam, you almost end up taking a lot of the front end off which you would do for an engine pull anyway.
And most of the sensors (wiring) off the front and top end
And since you're clearly taking the heads off, you're also taking the headers and downpipe off.
You're almost 3/4 of the way there.
Take the back end loose, the motor mount bolts and you're up and away.
Just MO though.
Me - I'd pull it and have it on the engine stand like a pro - and you can then take you're sweet old time (which is the second problem!) and make everything real pretty and nice before going back in.

Which is why - having a second motor is always the preferred option. Easier said than done - I know.

Good points, I have a real bad habit of while Im in there disease.

This was my Corvette head cam swap

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/2241924-started-on-my-head-swap.html

This was my supercharger install

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/7067-supercharger-installation.html

Ain't that the truth!
"I'll just clean this one thing"
Meanwhile.....4 weeks later...
At least if the motor is out - things I think go faster and are much more easily done.

I do agree with certain exotics - you want to go as easy an be as un-intrusive as possible.
But the LC2's are almost like the old school carb'd SBC's.
There just isn't much there to stop you from yanking it.

I still have dreams of pulling it out next summer or maybe the following to the bottom end. I've been going pretty hard on this thing with parts and labor since purchase in February. After this I'm taking a break.

I've done it both ways and I always opt to do it with the engine in place. The times I've done it with the engine out were pleasant and relaxing by comparison. Like I said though the only times I've done it with engine out is when it had to be done to an engine that was already on the stand. I've never taken the engine out to put it on the stand to do this job. Worst case was with studded heads and the ARP studs were the early issues without the allen head in the top of the stud. With the thread sealer holding it the studs wouldn't come out by hand. Had to remove the nuts and washers and prop the head up and use a small pipe wrench on the stud between the propped up head and block to get the first turns on the stud for it to loosen. With head bolts its a piece of cake.

How cool would a set of magnetic pushrod-like rods be that you could use to lift the lifters up without pulling the intake? You could change out your roller cams by pulling valve covers and front cover only. The cam will slide out the engine no problem while in the car. Don't put a tensioner on your double roller chain.

If you have a hoist and a stand already, pull it. If you dont have a hoist and a stand already...go buy them...LOL

I can have the engine on a stand with the intake and heads off in 3 1/2 hours...they are not difficult at all to pull. I leave ALL accessories on the engine, turbo too. Headers stay on the engine as well...I think the hardest part is getting the motor mount bolts out...

Bryan

If you have a hoist and a stand already, pull it. If you dont have a hoist and a stand already...go buy them...LOL

I can have the engine on a stand with the intake and heads off in 3 1/2 hours...they are not difficult at all to pull. I leave ALL accessories on the engine, turbo too. Headers stay on the engine as well...I think the hardest part is getting the motor mount bolts out...

Bryan

Agreed. We use a plate that bolts to the lower intake and yank that sucker out with turbo and headers attached. Take that little guy apart in the open air where it's easy. I've seen people change HG's in a gravel driveway too though without pulling the motor, so do what you like!

I think ZNix did it a couple months ago. Might talk to him. I've done heads. After a while my back got stiff hanging over the fender. Helps if you raise it up some.

When I was younger I always did that type of work in the engine compartment as I get older and more back problems (leaning over the fenders for long periods at a time and havering a two post lift and engine hoist I find myself pulling it out and putting it on a stand its a lot Easier to pay attention to detail and don't have to worry about dropping parts and wondering if it fell onto the engine just easier IMO