Importing an Engine into the US ?

fxdxlr8

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this. It is an Engine.and I do need help.

I have brought a few engines into Canada from the States but up until now never the other way.

So I get to the border and told I need export papers to take the motor to the States. I actually bought the motor in the US and brought it to Canada not problem.

I have to hire a broker. I was lucky enough to find one that still did the paperwork manually . I guess everything now is electronic and if the file isn't waiting for you at the border they will send you back.

$373.00 in brokerage fees (no duty) and 4 hours later I can cross. I also had to pay a $10.75 fee. I guess my pick-up is now a commercial vehicle.

Sorry for the long introduction but the problem is in the paperwork.......with the EPA to be exact. After reading about Caspers go round years ago I don't want to mess with the EPA.

If anyone has done this could you tell me how you classified the motor for the paperwork. Its an aftermarket block so the 15 year thing doesn't apply. If its classified as a Race Engine I need a letter of exemption form the EPA.

From what I know now I would bring a box of parts across as opposed to a motor that is semi complete.

Has anyone out there ever had to deal with this?

Thanks in advance.

I thought anything that was built in the states didnt have to pay an import fee ? I know bringing a TR back from canada ,my buddy didnt have to pay anything since it was built here. The laws may have changed since this was the mid 90's .

correct

Your are correct. There was no import duty.

The $373.00 was just the fees for a border broker to do the paperwork to allow me to bring the motor over the border (export license).

The problem I have is with EPA allowing the motor to be imported. They have very strict guidlines now.

For a Vehicle
"code E-vehicle at least 21 years old (calendar year of manufacture subtracted from the year of importation) and in original unmodified configuration is either exempted or excluded from EPA emission requirements, depending on age. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines. Customs may require proof of vehicle age."

As for the engine its a different form.
"18. Competition engine. The engine must be used solely for competition,subject to the provisionsof 40CFR 1068.310(a), 85.1511(e), 89.611(e), 90.612(e) or 94.804(c)(2). An EPA letter of approval must be attached to this form"

Your are correct. There was no import duty.

The $373.00 was just the fees for a border broker to do the paperwork to allow me to bring the motor over the border (export license).

The problem I have is with EPA allowing the motor to be imported. They have very strict guidlines now.

For a Vehicle
"code E-vehicle at least 21 years old (calendar year of manufacture subtracted from the year of importation) and in original unmodified configuration is either exempted or excluded from EPA emission requirements, depending on age. Vehicles at least 21 years old with replacement engines are not eligible for this exemption unless they contain equivalent or newer EPA certified engines. Customs may require proof of vehicle age."

As for the engine its a different form.
"18. Competition engine. The engine must be used solely for competition,subject to the provisionsof 40CFR 1068.310(a), 85.1511(e), 89.611(e), 90.612(e) or 94.804(c)(2). An EPA letter of approval must be attached to this form"

Yikes, that sucks... I bought a Stage II motor from Canada, but it was all in pieces, so we listed it as such and it didn't really cost much. If you hadn't already done it, I would pull it down to a shortblock and see if you could call it "parts".