I'm on the road and pretty screwed

Sounds like my trip to Ohio last summer, tried every thing listed above, turn out to be the fuel filter. Car ran great for about 60 miles before dieing, then about 40 miles then about 20 miles. I tried the fuel filter as a "WTF" and drove the next 450 miles without a hitch.
Just a thought, good luck!

Did you get a backfire then nothing? That's what I'm getting. You know, and I was thinking of the fuel filter. Might be worth a shot. It's either that or tow it back with an empty 10-foot U-Haul with a full trailer.

Make sure the bottom pulley (crank) is tight, I had the same thing that you are describing and it was the bolt that holds on the crank pulley, it was only finger tight.

Chuck

So here's my latest plan. I'm at an Advance Auto in Cleveland, they should have my crank sensor. I'll replace that and the fuel filter in the parking lot, then head out for Youngstown Ohio, about 60 miles away. Once there I'll make a decision - push on or rent a storage spot, store the GN, and rent a car to get home.

What happened did you get it road worthy? Hopefully you found a semi decent wrench to look at it!
Chris

Sorry guys, didn't mean to leave you hanging - I am home now, but not with the car. Here is the final outcome:

I changed the fuel filter in the Advance Auto parking lot and looked at the crank sensor again, but I decided not to attempt it. I was in a bad part of Cleveland and if I screwed it up and couldn't even start the car I was totally screwed. I drove it, and the same thing happened after about 40 miles. Backfire, stall. So I made it to just outside of Youngstown, Ohio, got a 10x20 storage garage, and parked it. All of the rental companies wanted over $400 for a one-way car rental, so my fantastic wife saddled up and drove 8 hours to come get me, and we got home yesterday afternoon where I then crashed until about now. I did not get much sleep in the last 4 days.

I'd like to thank everyone for all of their help and advice. I'm a bit bummed that I couldn't get the car home but at least I didn't feel like I was all alone out there. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next - I may just leave it there for the winter as I have no garage and would have had to find indoor parking for it anyways, and I got a good price on the storage unit. Maybe head back in the spring with a friend.

Thanks again everyone!

I live by Youngstown- let me know if I can help you in any way.

Damn, that's close to where my car is right now, it's in a storage unit in Austintown. By the time you posted this, my wife was already on her way to pick me up. Thanks for the offer though!

if you decide to have it towed there is a member here that towed mine from MO to VA for me when I got back from deployment. Good guy.

if you decide to have it towed there is a member here that towed mine from MO to VA for me when I got back from deployment. Good guy.

I'm back and forth between having it towed and recruiting a friend to drive out with me and help try to fix it. This way I have an extra set of hands and a ride back if unsuccessful. :)

The good thing is I get the month of October free on the storage unit, so I don't have to hurry to make a decision if I want to get it back before winter. My first full-months payment is due November 1st.

If you can PM me the members name I'd appreciate it. I'm getting a few quote for towing if I decide to go that route. Thanks!