I'm on the road and pretty screwed

dabobbo

Hi, I know this a real shot in the dark but I am trying to get my car back to New Jersey from Wisconsin and am at at a rest stop in indiana, mile marker 55 on Rt 80 eastbound, just outside of south bend. I got about 100 miles and the car started backfiring and missing. I let it sit for a half hour and it started running fine again. I only went 60 miles before pulling into this rest area.

Does anyone know where I can stop on my way to get this looked at? Like I said, a real shot in the dark but I don't want to have to stop every 50 miles. I'm about to do another 50 or so miles, ill check later if anyone can suggest a place that might be open today I'd appreciate it. I'm about 150 miles from Toledo. This is going to be one long day.

Bob

If the car starts missing after it warms up then gets better after cooling down I would look into the ignition module/coil pack. If it keeps doing it, might be worth replacing them with parts store replacements until you get home. Do you have a Scanmaster on the car? Any codes or numbers that look way off? Hope you get it figured out, that can be extremely frustrating when on the road.

I just got in. I will see if I have my spare module/coilpack laying around the garage. Im near the south bend airport. Text or call me at 616-304-0936

So a quick update, I replaced the ignition module but still only got about 28 miles before it started bucking. I have the old coilpavk so I might swap that back in on russ's recommendation (thanks Russ) but I'm still stuck about 700 miles from home. Oy.

I agree, sounds just like a MAF. Post where you are and maybe we can google a NAPA.

I've just pulled into the tiffin river service plaza on route 80 east in west unity, Ohio. Ill let the car rest for about 10 minutes then pick it up again. I seem to get 30 good miles from a 10 minute shutdown. I figure ill get to Toledo and then try to push throughout tomorrow.

I was thinking MAF as well only for the fact that I haven't changed it in many years. I didn't even know Napa stocked that.

My next stop will hopefully be the fallen timbers rest stop in swanton, ohio.

Autozone
601 N REYNOLDS RD
TOLEDO, OH 43615
(419) 536-8828

Open until midnight.

They have a Cardone in stock, $45 + $25 core. You might want to try it.

Man I really feel for you. We were stranded a few hundred miles from home with a broke down truck and it's a tough situation. Best of luck to you!

Peter

unplug the mass air flow and see if it will cruise further than you've been getting

John, thanks so much! I wish I had seen this last night but the only thing on my mind was sleep. The good news is they open at 7:30 am and I am staying at the holiday inn less than a mile from that autozone and was going to head out at 7 anyways, I'll just head out a little later. As wh1 said, it's worth a shot at that price.

I say X1 on MAF. Mine did about the same thing it wouldn't take anything over half throttle.I sure hope its something as simple as that for ya.Keep us updated.
Good Luck

Shaun

Well, that wasn't it. Still have the problem. Look like I'm limping it home.

Get a can of brake cleaner.
Next time it shuts off, check for spark. If "no spark", spray the crank sensor with the brake cleaner to cool it down.
If spark comes back, you know your problem.

Edit:
When it stalls, also verify FP if possible.

Dang...only thing is it could be a bad unit...like I said, heard not good things bout the Cardone ones. Hmmmmmmmmmm....What else could it be...

Well I'm not sure where the crank sensor is. Other than near the crank. :)

I'm stuck on the side of rt. 80 in Ohio at mile marker 89.3. I doubt I'll find an open shop today.

Tap the ecm with the back of a screwdriver and see if it affects the car. They are known to fail and "heal"