I'm building a monster engine, I need a healthy trans. Who to use?

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I'm in the process of building a healthy 109. Forged everything, roller, with a girdle. I expect decent hp numbers 600+. (I am building a high 10 second car that I can tune down to mid to high 11 sec and drive reliably)

I was priced a rebuild for the trans for $700 but it would be stock. Of course, the stock trans will not handle this engine.

I am not a racer. I am not building the car for the track but rather, a street monster. I have a non l/u Vigilante 3200 stall tc to use with the trans (I can change it if I need to). Not yet sure on turbo.

The dilemma: I would like to rebuild the trans but I don't trust any local builders. If I'm going to have to spend some money, I'd like a known "name" behind the trans. I'm in ky and I have the stock trans ready to ship...

I'm looking to get some input on a rebuild that will be well built, reliable, handle the power, and not cost me an arm and a leg...

Any suggestions?

BRIAN is his screen name, he is in Detroit I think. Builds great trannies.

Mike from Century Transmissions in Texas also builds a great one.

BRIAN is his screen name, he is in Detroit I think. Builds great trannies.

Mike from Century Transmissions in Texas also builds a great one.

Thanks Jeff...:)

I can help you out. There are a couple in the for sale section now.
Whatever you need, we can get together for you. If yours is ready to go, I can exchange or sell outright. And 10`s are no problem. Just search the feedback and vendors service areas on the board.
Brian or Brian Hofer

Brian

Brian where r u located? i may need ur services one of these days and i can prolly send you a few customers in the meantime in between time....;)

As long as they're on this board i think you will be well satisfied....
with that said..
Ive used Lonnie @ Extreme automatics.. Very satisfied (runnin mid to hi 10's).
my brother used Chris @ Ckperformance.. Very satisfied (runnin lo 11's almost in the 10's.
my buddy in the neighboring county used Brian Hoffer tranny.. Very satisfied
my other buddy in the same neighboring county used Bruce @ PTS.. Very satisfied.

I also wouldnt hesitate to use Dave Husak or any other builder on this board because THEY ALL pretty much know what they're doing.
Like you i wouldnt trust the locals, build it right and pay it once and YOU will be VERY SATISFIED.:biggrin:

As long as they're on this board i think you will be well satisfied. Like you i wouldnt trust the locals, build it right and pay it once and YOU will be VERY SATISFIED.:biggrin:

X2 Wish one of them would open a shop in Texas so I wouldn't have to pay for freight but not an option I guess.:frown:

$2500 for a trans is too stepp for me at this time. (Besides the "boss" would kill me:eek: )

Thanks for the input thus far. I will be making a few calls in the coming days and see who can build me the best trans for the money.

If you guys have other ideas or suggestions please don't hesitate to post up or PM me.

Thanks again.:cool:

X2 Wish one of them would open a shop in Texas so I wouldn't have to pay for freight but not an option I guess.:frown:

Myself and Mike Kurtz both are in TX and build the 200-4Rs.

I also have the option of building them in a NEW case.

Has anyone compiled a side by side comparison of what these transmission exerts are offering for the money? Just wondering if there is a chart that breaks down each vendor's offerings by the parts they use, labor expenses, shipping costs.

Kinda like those comparison charts you get from consumer reports... Just an idea to see where the bang for the buck really is.

From what I've seen thus far, is that most of the prices are relatively comparable but some Stage I and Stage II offering differ dramatically. Since I'm not an expert I do not know if I need Billet everything (probably not)- Additionally, I do not know if one item is better than another (kinda like the pros and cons of billet mains vs. a girdle)

Can anyone break this down in simple terms? (Yes, I know I can spend hours on this board reading about transmissions) I'm trying to keep this as simple and easy to digest as possible.