I'm a bone head, need help

turbobrain87

TR's attack!
When took my motor down to the machine shop, I was planning on reusing my stock crank, but I found a new Eagle crank for real cheap so I bought it. Well it's internally balanced and now I need a new dampner and flywheel. (I'm a space cadet) Anyone know where I can get these, asap. Thanks for ANY help. Brian

Ah, things are never so simple as they appear. Let us know what that (presumably) $600 crank costs when all is said and done...

:)

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Ah, things are never so simple as they appear. Let us know what that (presumably) $600 crank costs when all is said and done...

One thing it wont cost him most likely is a block,set of intake valves,camshaft,roller lifters and a new girdle .
Ask LVGN hell tell you why not to use a stock crank in a high HP motor. Will post picsin hte lounge

I didn't say the Eagle crank wasn't a good idea. I simply said I'd like to know what it costs when all the necessary, complementary hardware, balancing, machining, etc. are factored in. Does anyone know what this amounts to???

I got the crank for, well, less than $450, new. My machine shop bill is gonna be a tall one anyway, as the only things that I'm reusing is the block, rods, and heads (ported and all new pieces in 'em too). It's been nuthin but problems with this thing. First, got the shipped the small stem valves instead of the big ones I ordered. Then got sent the wrong rod bearings. And now, I need a flexplate and dampner for the internal crank since I forgot to order them when I got the crank! I'm such an idiot cause that sucker would've been ready this Thursday and in the car Friday.

P.s. I did e-mail Nick, thanks

Just talked to my dad and he got in touch with, umm......I forgot his name, from Groomes Engines and he said you could still use the stock balancer, you just have to grind on it a bit to bring it to nuetral. But I still need that flexplate. Found one from Poston's, it's a chromemoly unit for $198. What do ya think?

to answer 'eagle's question....a 10 sec car needs an SFI balancer anyhow, so no additional cost there (if ya don't have a 10 sec car, don't waste your $$ on a forged crank....)

JW flexplates (also SFI) aren't all that expensive....I forget what I paid, but maybe $200?

not anymore expensive to balance internally than externally, except for the above 2 parts.......and maybe some heavy metal?

as mentioned, it is possible to balance the Eagle crank externally, but it could end up costing more than doing it right

and yes, I do have an Eagle forged crank in my motor

Im sorry, I made a mistake also, LVGN broke 2 connecting rods in his motor,not the crank

Originally posted by azgn
to answer 'eagle's question....a 10 sec car needs an SFI balancer anyhow, so no additional cost there (if ya don't have a 10 sec car, don't waste your $$ on a forged crank...
I've only got a TE44 now, so I'm probably lookin at low 11's, maybe high 10's if I'm lucky. So you think I still need a balancer? If on an internally balanced motor, the balancer and flexplate are nuetrally balanced and with the relatively low rpms of these motors, wouldn't it be ok to just make the stock one work? What about when I upgrade to a bigger turbo? I would obviously like to save the money if I could, but if it needs to be done, I'd rather buy one now. Thanks for the info.

I would find out what it will take to balance externally.....$$$ wise

you don't need to worry about 10's with a TE-44:) (unless your car weighs 2800 lbs.....)

I already have the crank, so it's gettin balanced internally. Just curious if I need an SFI balancer or can I get away with grinding the stocker.

the stock "balancer" is really just a dampner......dunno if you can "adjust" it or not

not an expert, but it doesn't sound like a great idea........

I have the Eagle forged crank in my motor, Im only running mid 11's but i thought it would be a good idea to get the crank instead of gambling with another one. i have holes drilled out of the crank so i could use the stock damper and flywheel. cost 400 dollars. i would have gotten the other parts but i didnt have enough money. If ever i upgrade in the future to a bigger turbo to go 10's what would i have to do? Thats if i can do anything, no big deal now becuase Im not planning on upgrading anytime soon.

well, if ya wanna run 10's, you will need an SFI balancer....these are available for external balance, so all you have to do is spend the $$ for a new balancer

Originally posted by turbobrain87
Just talked to my dad and he got in touch with, umm......I forgot his name, from Groomes Engines and he said you
could still use the stock balancer........................................... What do ya think?

What do I think?

I think anyone that tries to use a modified stock HUB, [it is NOT a harmonic balancer] on a performance motor with an expensive steel crank is asking for trouble.

Just looking at the factory hub you can see it is made way off-balance to compensate for the factory method of external balance. Remove a bunch of its mass and weaken it further? Have replaced many stock HUBS on street driven GN's so I cannot imagine why anyone would want to modify and use this cast piece of **** especially on a performance build.:(

Sorry for the rant. But after having done many performance engine builds and seen the results of not using the good parts, do not want to see anyone have their expectations shattered.

Unfortunately for guys like Len [LVGN] and others, an Eagle crank was not available when he built his motor. We have reached the point where we will not build a 10 sec. engine without a steel crank, and the other right parts to make it live a long life.

By the way, the reason for heavy metal in AZGN's crank balance is that we also used billet rods which are heavier than stock.