Ignition upgrade options

ttribejr

combo in sig. I run north of 30psi often. Currently building a higher compression stroked 109 with aluminum heads, roller etc and will be going up in turbo too. Shooting for 700rwhp.

I’ve read a bit about tr6. Just wondering what else is out there. Coil near plug vs stock style etc.

Any input on xim?

Thanks.

The stock set-up works great if it's in 100% perfect. No reason to go any further really. If you have an XFI, you can buy Cal's 2-step module and program the launch and redline RPM through the tune. Worked for me and 100's of others well into the 9's and 8's. Some even in the 7's I believe.

But if it begins to give you trouble, and you don't have access to, haven't had any luck with, or care to bother with replacement parts, or just want something different.........

Then the TR-6 can be used with an XFI or a stock computer. Lots of features. mostly plug and play, Indicator lights, dip-switches that change functions, coil-near-plug (or individual coils in stock location), harness can be made to accept GM coils of all kinds, including aftermarket coils like the Holley's, flash updateable, 2-step and rev limiter..........so on and so on.

I think the XIM can only be used with XFI only, (I could be wrong). You would then be able to use all the features in the XFI for ignition programming. Also you will need to go coil-near-plug/individual coils.

Then of course, there is always a distributor set-up with an ignition amplifier. Old school, but still effective for many.

I'm sure many of the aftermarket ECUs have ignition harnesses and logic programmed into their software than will adapt to our application when used on our cars.

I personally thought to use the stock ignition forever. But for one minute it gave me trouble. I quickly used it as an excuse to convert to the TR-6. Fabrication for my custom application is currently underway.

Lots of 9 second cars with stock ignition. New module ,coil, good wires, good grounds and your there.

I have intermittent misses at idle. Intermittent trouble running high boost. I have completely new fuel system. Valve springs. Tune is solid. I had to gap the plugs pretty small to get my boost up. I think my all original ignition is tired. I’m hesitant to buy the parts house replacement stuff. But I want to freshen it up.

I have intermittent misses at idle. Intermittent trouble running high boost. I have completely new fuel system. Valve springs. Tune is solid. I had to gap the plugs pretty small to get my boost up. I think my all original ignition is tired. I’m hesitant to buy the parts house replacement stuff. But I want to freshen it up.

TR6

Check out Cruz performance. Entire new plug n play wiring harness with Holley ECM, Holley smart coils per cylinder, cruz makes a billet mount for the coils too, all new Holley sensors as well. I ditched my stock junk in favor of this new setup. I never went XFI because it piggybacked on the stock harness. I have who knows, 20, 30, 40 grand into this thing- I'm not going to trust it anymore on an 80's ECM and ancient wiring on a waste spark setup. Hardest part of the install is the 2 bolts holding the inner fender on under the heater box, even that isn't hard. I've done the powerlogger for years, it's great, the 6.1 TT chip with wideband fuel correction. But its still a hardwired chip on 80's circuits. The Holley has self learn and can react faster and is way more customizable than 8 cells in the powerlogger. Plus, the scanmaster + TT chip + translater + bigger MAF + wideband + powerlogger + mod the ecm, you're still not getting it "cheap". Edit- see you have XFI - yeah sell it and get the new harness and go Holley, if only for the harness, and get the coil solution solved as a bonus.

https://www.cruzperformance.com/product-page/holley-efi-hp-turbo-buick-kit

Last edited: