What ignition setup to run??

Squid4life

So, here’s the deal… I sold the 25.5 race car as a roller and kept all the parts off of it. I still have the dry sump setup, complete twin turbo setup, ATR single turbo headers, etc, etc. I have the engine all machined, balanced and ready to assemble, and also a fresh TH400 that my buddy Donnie Wang helped me build. I picked up an 87 roller without a cage so I can throw the family in it for cruise nights and shows etc. I plan on the car be plenty stupid fast, but do not want to mess with a bar for now. I doubt it will see the track, at least not for a while so I don’t want to deal with the cage. At this point I need to decide what to do about ignition and electronics. I plan to run the 160lb injectors on e85 as it is close to my house, but would like to do XFI with a flex fuel sensor in the event I cannot get it. I know this car will be mostly over the top and will not be a daily, but I do plan on driving it frequently.

I took the following off the race car:
-Harness. I believe this was a custom harness, as it has no AC, no MAF, etc
-Stock ECM modified for low Z injectors
-Powerlogger
-Scanmaster
-MAF-T Pro
-Innovative XD-16 WBO2 gauge setup
-MSD boost controller with CO2
-I also have a MSD distributor.

Now, I have the chance to get an XFI setup relatively inexpensively, so I am pretty sure that is my best route to go; just sell what I don’t need and make the jump to XFI. My problem is, I never really devoted much time to learning all the electronics and what should be used with what, and what shouldn’t.

My first question is; is there any reason to keep the Scanmaster? I believe this is a 2.1 so not even sure it is able to be used with XFI, or really useful at that point. If I did keep it, it would go in the console or maybe under the radio or somewhere out of the way. I do not want a bunch of crap hanging out everywhere in plain sight in this car.

I don’t believe there is any reason to keep the MAF-T Pro, I assume XFI handles everything the Pro would handle?

The WBO2 might prove useful for a quick look at how the car is running without pulling out the laptop. Again, would be tucked away.

The MSD boost controller is awesome in all that it can do; set boost during burnout, set boost during launch, progressively increase boost, etc, but like I said this car will rarely see a track and I am strongly considering just a plain old school manual boost controller since this will be 99% street car. I think using the MSD would be near pointless.

So, back to the setup. I am thinking of picking up the XFI, then will more than likely have to get a harness. I don’t really want to run the stock coil pack. I have valve covers modified with towers for LS coils for CNP, plus the coils, brackets, and wiring harnesses from coils to Bailey’s TR6 box. So, XFI with TR6, CNP, then stock crank and cam sensors? Does that sound like a good solid setup? Am I missing anything? I thought about XIM but not sure I really need it.

In the end what I want is a good, trustworthy setup that makes good power with no hiccups and coughing and farting, but also doesn't take a team of NASA scientists to wire, configure, and tune. I am praying Cal makes it back out to SoCal someday and can throw a tune on the car!

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I would try and see if you can get an XFI with 2.051 and use the Cal adapter box so you can run the TR6 and still control the spark functions through the XFI.
AG.

Turbobitt, Bob is saying it won't work that way. Well he's not sure if it will or not. I'm going to try it on my car

Do you have a tuner close by that understands fast? If you don't and you can't bring Cal out to tune your car, you should go with whatever you understand the best. I would recommend you go with the FAST system, but if you can't tune it and can't get anybody to tune it, it does you no good. If you are up to the challenge, it's not that hard to learn, but it will take some time to get it dialed in because your combo is not going to be a typical setup.

Same goes for the ignition, use what you know. I guess this somewhat depends on your HP goals, but sounds like your keeping it low enough that you can use any of the systems. If you have the TR6, use it. There is nothing more frustrating than selling things you own at a loss to buy an equivalent. Ask me how I know.

If you do go to the fast you won't need the MAFT Pro anymore as you indicated. I'm glad you posted this though as both the FAST from Cal and the TR6 are on my wish list but I was unaware they may not jive. Subscribed!

If you do go to the fast you won't need the MAFT Pro anymore as you indicated. I'm glad you posted this though as both the FAST from Cal and the TR6 are on my wish list but I was unaware they may not jive. Subscribed!

The TR6 will work with the FAST but what I was referring to was the newest update and the Cal Hartline supplied box that will allow the XFI to control the spark limiting chores. This may seem redundant since the TR6 already has these features but its a little better in my opinion to have the XFI control it. Reasons being that the XFI will shut off fuel correction on the 2-step and there are options for a 3rd step and also max rpm shutoff. From what it sounds like no one has tried the Cal box with the TR6 and is up in the air if it will work or not. Either way the TR6 is still a good ignition system to have.
AG.

Well, good info here, as always, but let me clarify: I don't have the TR6 box, just the harness for it, the coils, brackets, etc.

So TR6 won't work with XFI at all or just the spark control Bitt was talking about?

I don't know XFI, but I do have Neal Stewart (of the infamous Brutal Six Racing fame!) close by and he has XFI on his car. He is learning it as he goes too, and is much smarter than I on that. He used to burn chips for himself and others, so he knows the data.

Cal came out once in the past, and I imagine would make the trip again if we get enough folks to kick in for a tune/dyno day.

If the TR6 box is off the table, might have to think about the XIM, or MSD box and distributor???

Well, good info here, as always, but let me clarify: I don't have the TR6 box, just the harness for it, the coils, brackets, etc.

So TR6 won't work with XFI at all or just the spark control Bitt was talking about?

I don't know XFI, but I do have Neal Stewart (of the infamous Brutal Six Racing fame!) close by and he has XFI on his car. He is learning it as he goes too, and is much smarter than I on that. He used to burn chips for himself and others, so he knows the data.

Cal came out once in the past, and I imagine would make the trip again if we get enough folks to kick in for a tune/dyno day.

If the TR6 box is off the table, might have to think about the XIM, or MSD box and distributor???

The TR6 will work with the XFI, just the XFI won't control the spark limiting functions. Same as if were the stock coilpack and module. Plenty of guys running Tr6 and XFI.
AG.

The TR6 will work with the XFI, just the XFI won't control the spark limiting functions. Same as if were the stock coilpack and module. Plenty of guys running Tr6 and XFI.
AG.

the XFI control of the 2-step function is on my list to add to the TR6,

as far as using the TR6 "normally" with the XFI, it works great. (like others have said)

Bob

hopefully the xfi is the newer one w data logging capabilities. if not send it to cal to update andbmaybe purchase his tech support/tune from him. depending how much xfi is u maybe at the point to just buy a whole new package from him. also theres the tt and bailey sd2 chip which is also the cats meow.

It does have the data logging, and I can get it for $1,250 as I bought a bunch of other parts from the gentleman as well. I figured for that price I can't beat it.

So, what about the wideband and scanmaster? Any need in keeping them, for "quick look" tuning/checks, or just sell them?

scanmaster cant be used and for a quick look ypu can get an xfi scanmaster aka scanmaster 3 or an edash. probaly put edash in front of the speedo. xfi usually comes w wbo 02 so i would hope you get that in package as well. if so sell yours.

Good to know, thanks brother. I need to read up on the XFI a lot more. I downloaded the software a long time ago to learn up on it in preps of getting XFI, but never did. Guess it's time to get smart. I am behind the power curve on this stuff!

its hard to just fiddle with it. you have to hook it up to a running car to play w it or have someone send u a file or something. im not 100% on it either just small things i picked up.