Ignition module poll - what R U runnin' and do you like it?

What kind of ignition module are you running and do you like it?

• Aftermarket high perf. (MSD, distributor conversion, etc.) - Love it! No regrets!

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Aftermarket high perf. (MSD, distributor conversion, etc.) - Not worth it, want to go back to stock.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aftermarket, OEM type (Wells, Standard, etc.) - Works great! No problems here!

Votes: 10 17.2%
  • Aftermarket OEM type (Wells, Standard, etc.) - it's JUNK!! should have stayed with AC Delco!!

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Genuine AC Delco - Heck yeah! Worth every penny!!!

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • Genuine AC Delco - Wasted my money, not any better than the cheaper aftermarket units.

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters

at7we2

Ok, like the title says, what kind of ignition module are you running on your turbo Regal and do you like it?

If you've got more than one turbo Regal, how about focusing on the one that's driven the most. I'm curious about reliability here.

I've had numerous ignition system problems with my GN and at least part of them turned out to be related to the module so I thought it would be interesting to get kind of a feeling about people's opinions on ignition modules since those opinions should be more or less based on personal experiences.

Thanks for participating! :cool:

A/C Delco

Ok, like the title says, what kind of ignition module are you running on your turbo Regal and do you like it?

If you've got more than one turbo Regal, how about focusing on the one that's driven the most. I'm curious about reliability here.

I've had numerous ignition system problems with my GN and at least part of them turned out to be related to the module so I thought it would be interesting to get kind of a feeling about people's opinions on ignition modules since those opinions should be more or less based on personal experiences.

Thanks for participating! :cool:
Don't think it really matters anymore. I used to be a die hard delco guy but they don't make anything anymore!! I certainly wouln't dick around w/ a distributor setup. Standard seems to be pretty good. Call a reputable vendor, like Full Throttle or Heartline. Dave, CW Automotive

interesting results so far. would like to see at least 50 votes, the more the better. :cool:

I don't know of any high performance versions of the modules. Coil packs yes, but not the modules. As far as the module I would take an ACDelco when possible, even if it is $40 more. I would not have a problem putting an aftermarket on either.

I don't know of any high performance versions of the modules. Coil packs yes, but not the modules. As far as the module I would take an ACDelco when possible, even if it is $40 more. I would not have a problem putting an aftermarket on either.

Hey Greg! by "aftermarket high performance" I was referring to a distributor conversion setup (apparently there are a few people who have done this on this board) or the setup MSD makes. Not really sure how the MSD setup works, but it looks like there is an additional plate that goes between the stock module and the coil and allows the use of an MSD ignition box.

type II here aswell

i got tired of having issues with the wells,standard, magnavox style.

but i have the gp sorenson type II module with the blue streak coils with no issues yet been on for 3 yrs

All I could find when in a bind was the wells and thus far running great. I just have a ton of tuning to do. Just a note here is what my stock module looked like when I pulled it!!!! It looks like peanut butter but was the stickiest stuff I've ever touched! I will prob get cancer from it.

Attachments

• Ignition.jpg
    Ignition.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 237
All I could find when in a bind was the wells and thus far running great. I just have a ton of tuning to do. Just a note here is what my stock module looked like when I pulled it!!!! It looks like peanut butter but was the stickiest stuff I've ever touched! I will prob get cancer from it.

:eek:

interesting melt-down...got any grape jelly? :p

never seen one turn to peanut butter. :confused: I've seen pictures where the goop has turned into what looks like Head and Shoulders shampoo (light blue goo). When my original stock Delco module failed, there really wasn't much to see. It looked fine except for a little bit of white crusty stuff in one corner.

regarding type II setups and aftermarket type I modules

since I started this thread, I've talked to a couple of very knowledgeable people regarding the difference between genuine Delco modules and aftermarket modules as well as the pros and cons of the type II setup. here's a summary of what I was told. Please understand, I'm not saying "this is how it is, period, end of story", I'm just relaying what I was told....

1. Re: genuine Delco modules versus aftermarket module - I was told that an ignition module tester doesn't always work correctly on an aftermarket ignition module because they often have slightly different signal outputs. :confused: if this is true, then there really is a difference between the Delco and aftermarket modules.

2. Re: type II ignition setups - I was told that they have a tendancy to "lie down" or decrease voltage output at higher rpm (did not have a chance to get an explanation of what rpm or why this happens)

anyone care to confirm or disprove the above?

I bought a borg warner new about 3yrs ago ran fine i still use it as my back up if needed it was for a buick or oldmobile , i cant remember but i have no problems with it, actually NOW i have a 1987 buick Riviera ign.mod..and coil pack that i paid $20 for off a junkyard car with the bracket and all ohmed out within spec. how does it run?

10.70's @125mph....... Fine with no problems.:wink: