What do you think is reasonble customer service?

Hatdragracer

I am a strong believer in voting with my money, and not resorting to whining on a forum when I feel let down. I do hate rambling posts, but some of the reviews I have read in this forum are far removed from the experiences I have had.

I have been a vocal supporter of TR Custom Parts and Full Throttle Speed and Style as they have not failed to return phone calls or emails, and have shipped parts when they said they would ship....In fact Full Throttle has impressed me so much I recently bought, heads, turbo, cam, roller rockers etc from them due to their customer focus.

I also realize I am an FNG and have only been in the buick circle for a year, and most of the key supporting vendors are known on a first name basis by many on this forum...so my expectation of meeting committments may be different if a close friend owns the company.

Having rambled long enough...I will get to the point. I have made many purchases this year and I was hoping to get some opinions on if my expectations were too high? The three supporting vendors below appear to be well loved on this forum, so maybe I am holding vendors to too high of expectations or I dont know them as well as others on this forum?

Situation 1. I bought a $700 part from a supporting vendor, I was told this part would be built and shipped in a week....20 business day later I have heard nothing. I then call this supporting vendor and I hear next Tuesday... this comes and goes and still not a peep. This goes on with calling for a couple more weeks and then I get a nasty email from this supporting vendor stating something like "Maybe I should buy 500 from China to keep in stock", This vendor who is well loved on this forum didnt seem to care that he had now missed his committment by 2 months. I did get a refund...but this vendor for some reason would not refund me the shipping on a part that hadn't shipped. I dont plan on buying from this vendor again.

Situation 2. Before Power tour I called and talked to a supporting vendor about a $300 part I was wanting to install before the tour. When I called him he said the part was available in stock. He confirmed it was in stock and it would ship that day, and would arrive in plenty of time to install. The part was in fact not in stock, and did not ship until 4 days later, and arrived after I had already left for the tour. This was a non-essential part, but I was very upset that I was told it was in stock before I made the purchase, and had to chase up with the vendor on what happened. This vendor did return every phone call and email and I will more than likely try them again.

Situation 3. I am in the middle of a rebuild and upgrade of my engine. I bought most of the parts I needed from TR Custom Parts and Full Throttle above, and I am wanting a stand alone fuel management system. I have called and e-mailed a supporting vendor for over a week but cannot get a response. I really want to buy from a supporting vendor, but I dont think I should have to deal with unreturned phone calls and and emails for a $2000 part. This vendor seems to very well reviewed by others and has apparently went above and beyond, I am still undecided if I will buy from him. If it takes more than a week to get a reply on a purchase, what kind of response time can I expect on supporting me if I have questions?

Am I holding these supporting vendors to too high of a standard?

Thank you very much for the nice comments. We will be happy to help you with the missing items you need, give me a call.
Mike

It's typically a time of year when people are on vaca with the 4th last week and all. Just saying, that could be why you're not getting a response. As far as the engine management, that vendor is traveling and tuning right now from what I understand. Mike will be glad to help you out though it sounds like. Just remember, this is a side job for most vendors here. If you want choice and speedy service, buy a Camaro. Plenty of vendors out there for those and mustangs but you'll still run into the same issues. I'm not trying to tell you off or anything, I've had good and bad service too. Just part of trying to have a fast car.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Your situation 3 might be under stood because if it is who I think it is, he is on the road and does give great customer support besides he has contractual obligations that he has to give them his undivided attention. But he goes far above and beyond for his customer support. I don't think they are ignoring you or your calls and e-mails. They pry have alot of calls and e-mails to handle. And if you read all his reviews they were not just put up there with out merit. To me he is one of the best out there, or if not the best but that is my opinion.

Now as far as vendors not having stuff some of the vendors do sell each others goods. And sometimes the well just dries up and more have to be made and it takes time sometimes to make it happen or to invest their moneys in another batch, some people here think these guys and girls are making a ton on our stuff but don't realize the money these guys put out for us to get our parts. And I do have to tip my hat to them because their dedication would be deeply appreciated elsewhere and if we don't support those who support us our small vendor pool will dry up and see where that leaves you but to little to no options to buy from. All I can do is wish for the best and try to work with them and try and keep a line of communication open I don't think they have large staffs and are pry busy so please put yourself in their shoes and be patient. And I understand the problems faced with paypal services about the 30 days. And I hope the vendors realize the fear of people grabbing back before this is up. I wish there was a better system but I've seen where as soon as a part was shipped and the tracking number was sent. The person retracted the payment which to me is bs. The person should have contacted the vendor and notify them they were canceling their order and the vendor could have either told them it shipped or it is at their location awaiting pick up and they could have avoided the pick up.

And shipping in general should be handled with insurance paid by the purchaser in case it gets lost or stolen or damaged. and if you are returning it you need to pay for insurance that way also for the same reason. I don't think I have ever purchased anything here that I had to return because (1) I knew what I was looking for. (2) I asked for pictures and description of said item. (3) The reason for them selling the item. I'll give a brief description of why. I know a person who bought a car from somebody that told that the car had blah blah blah in it to only find out as he was selling the parts that everything he was told was in there wasn't and it can add up to a lot of people being mad. So try to be informed on what you are purchasing. Same thing I seen about a car somebody sold with a rebuilt motor ask for receipts or pictures or ask if somebody local could take a look and compensate them for their time. I know of a time or two I've reached out to somebody for help.

I've bought 2 of my GN's with out seeing them in person but with phone calls and pictures I got what I expected. One of them I flew to Kansas city and drove it home.

Situation #1 is unacceptable assuming your statements are true and accurate. Although there are two sides to every story.

Situation #2 isn't good either but not as bad as #1. People shouldn't make promises they can not keep.

Situation #3 sounds like he has not received his messages like XXQUICK6XX has stated.

If you want choice and speedy service, buy a Camaro.

I have to somewhat disagree with this statement. Vendors shouldn't make promises they cannot keep.

D

If this situation #2 is us, I personally apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused and we will do our best to make it up to you.... PM me if this is about us.

Not for certain but, we had a order for a set of LED taillights that was delayed by the manufacture right before the power tour. If GNS happens to be #2 I can explain.......

If this is pertaining to us and it is the LED taillights, we don't keep them in stock but the manufacture does and that is why I say yes they are in stock because they are on the shelf at the manufacture, I get updates from them twice weekly on how many kits are left on their shelves and when I told you they had them in stock, they did. I was going by what I was told on the last update. Then after speaking to you they told me they were waiting on more boards to come in. Sometimes things happen where the manufactures parts didn't get to them on time to build up more products and eventually it ends up making everyone involved look bad.... The LED manufacture has done a fantastic job all these years keeping 30-40 Buick LED taillight kits on the shelf at all times. We sell Many LED kits weekly and it is very seldom that something like this happens, but as with any company things can go wrong!

Am I holding these supporting vendors to too high of a standard?[/quote said:
No.

#3 "As far as the engine management, that vendor is traveling and tuning right now from what I understand." There is more than 1 vendor selling "stand alone fuel management systems" so it may not be him.
I would think someone would return a phone call or email whether you are on the road tuning or not. You would not be on the road tuning if you were not returning phone calls?

It certainly sounds like situation #3 is us. We were on vacation in the keys last week, but I tried to answer all the phone calls and texts while we were away. Obviously, I missed one.
I am tuning in Michigan today, but will be more than happy to talk with you. Please pm me your phone# and I will call you, or call the office at 321-722-1563 & Holly can take your order.
I apologize for the delay, but will do my best to make it up to you

It certainly sounds like situation #3 is us. We were on vacation in the keys last week, but I tried to answer all the phone calls and texts while we were away. Obviously, I missed one.
I am tuning in Michigan today, but will be more than happy to talk with you. Please pm me your phone# and I will call you, or call the office at 321-722-1563 & Holly can take your order.
I apologize for the delay, but will do my best to make it up to you

Cal, every member that posted had your back ( assuming it was you)....that truly says something about Hartline Perf and its customer service.

I will start with this, "Patience is a virtue".

I don't wan't to be harsh, but here goes........

You seem to be somewhat new to the TR world.

That said, a 25 year old, very specialized, generally considered "rare" car might take just a bit more time, effort and just plain ol' being calm to accomplish the goals you have set.

Parts/Support WILL be much harder to come by than your average Mustang/Camaro.

There just aren't that many people out here supporting these cars and the needs a 25 year old specialized car requires anymore. There aren't enough honestly qualified guys out there, that's for sure.

Wrench turners/qualified tuners, quality parts providers, technical supporters...... You name it, they are disappearing, and they are disappearing fast.....

If you aren't trained and or skilled enough to work on every facet of your own car all by yourself, you might want to take a step back and learn the most important word in the first sentence in this post. PATIENCE.

There are many here that are GREAT vendors and technical supporters with reputations to match. For a majority of them, it's not their number one job, for them, it's done from the heart and a love for the TR's, nothing else. They have real jobs and real resposibilities, just as you do.

I only say this because I think it's important that you consider this when coming on here blowing up vendors, identified or not.

I was told a few days by some youngster in my company that I was (internet) rude to him because I did not reply to his e mail quickly enough for his liking. He copied dang near everyone he could think of in his "scolding" of me and ended up looking pretty foolish when several peers of his let him know he was completely out of line and needed to do his research before publicly chastizing someone.

As a manager of a pretty big, very busy operation, I will prioritize all inquiries and answer them in order of importance and in addition, I will be the one who prioritizes how I address them.

Now impart that attitude onto any vendor here, the one's who work from the heart not the wallet and even those who are in it for "the money". Do you really think these guys earn a living selling parts to a group of perhaps 10 thousand dedicated enthusiasts?

If you somehow feel slighted by some of the "old guys", those vendors and tech guys that can do you some good, you might want to rethink your attitude, be it about TR vendors, and/or your entire professional life. These guys aren't computer technical guru's, they're a bunch of old Buick guys, nothing more. Just like some of those "old guys" at work........

There are vedors on here apologizing for stuff they aren't even sure they should own up to...... What does that say to you about the community of vendors here? Yet you don't come back and confirm/deny or answer them in the public forum you started. What's the deal there, is it that are you too busy with your daily work to reply or something?

Impatience is NOT a virtue held in high esteem by anyone.

On the other hand, I do hope you are able to get your issues resolved in a manner acceptable to both you and the vendor(s) you are dealing with.

Good customer service is essential, that is a given. The truth is, a great customer/vendor relationship not only depends upon great customer service , but depends upon a customer that actually understands the difference between his wishes and his needs and/or is willing to listen to the difference between the two, a part of the puzzle that is essential to great customer service and represents the cornerstone on which a successful relationship is built.

Good luck to you, sir!

Guys Easy with the pitchforks and torchs Hatdragracer didn't attack any one and honestly he has legitimate concerns as a NEW GUY dealing with NEW VENDORS (to him) that he doesn't yet have a working relation ship with.
If i was trying to give some one $2K and couldn't get a hold of them i too would be worried how it would go after they got my money. He is NOT off base in thinking this way.

On Inventory - "Do you have this in stock? yes" means to me that the person on the phone can walk over to a shelf and handle the actual part or that part is in their control. NOT that its supposed to be sitting in some one else warehouse that they don't have control over. If thats the case the answer should be? NO i don't have it in stock, but the manufacturer says the do and i can try to get it to you by "X" date.

make it and shipped in a week-- Then two months later still BSng with a partial refund BTW that stealing plain and simple.

All the above is ASSuming the OP's statements are accurate.

I thought the OP came across quite professional and calm. That may be the nicest anyone has ever complained on here. That gives it merit.
Isn't that why we have this section? To keep vendors honest and on their toes? It's a necessary evil.

Of course there are plenty of standup vendors on here but there are a few that are not so standup.

D

On Inventory - "Do you have this in stock? yes" means to me that the person on the phone can walk over to a shelf and handle the actual part or that part is in their control. NOT that its supposed to be sitting in some one else warehouse that they don't have control over. If thats the case the answer should be? NO i don't have it in stock, but the manufacturer says the do and i can try to get it to you by "X" date.

All the above is ASSuming the OP's statements are accurate.
Just so we don't get things twisted here, I always tell our customers (on drop shipped items) that the item will be drop shipped from the manufacture and when it is to be expected to arrive (In this case 3-4 business days) I always provide tracking numbers to ALL orders (even a $18.00 tach bracket) so the customer can track his package himself.

We had One customer call in and order a set of LED taillights which he asked if he could have them before the power tour, The manufacture immediately sent me a tracking number for his order so I assumed it was shipped out so I forwarded it onto him, 4-5 days later the customer called me asking about the order so I ran the tracking number and UPS didn't pick it up yet, so I called the manufacture asking what the hold up was and they informed me they had to wait on parts to come in.... I too was pissed that they didn't inform me of this and in return it made us look bad...

Like I said before we don't even know if this is concerning us or not but if so, we will be more than happy to make it up to him...

Scot W.

Just so we don't get things twisted here, I always tell our customers (on drop shipped items) that the item will be drop shipped from the manufacture and when it is to be expected to arrive (In this case 3-4 business days) I always provide tracking numbers to ALL orders (even a $18.00 tach bracket) so the customer can track his package himself.

We had One customer call in and order a set of LED taillights which he asked if he could have them before the power tour, The manufacture immediately sent me a tracking number for his order so I assumed it was shipped out so I forwarded it onto him, 4-5 days later the customer called me asking about the order so I ran the tracking number and UPS didn't pick it up yet, so I called the manufacture asking what the hold up was and they informed me they had to wait on parts to come in.... I too was pissed that they didn't inform me of this and in return it made us look bad...

Like I said before we don't even know if this is concerning us or not but if so, we will be more than happy to make it up to him...

Scot W.

Dude that was generally speaking o_O

I have received excellent customer service from all the vendors used to purchase parts. Sometimes it takes longer than I want but I am thankful vendors even bother with a small specialized market. I also think the prices are very reasonable with all things considered. Getting frustrated is understandable but I have come to realize some planning on MY part is the way to get things done without much aggravation. Just my opinion everyone is different.

X2 broke, i agree with ya. I'm glad we have the vendors that we do to help us out