Ignition "Hotwire" upgrade doesn't work on my 84 ttype

Rovinfool

Well I got everything installed Caspers hotwire plug n play adapter and have tried 86/87 module and coils, 88 3 pack coils and module all with same result....only fires on two cylinders. Hook back up original module/coil fires on all 6. I gave up trying to get it to start and took it to a mechanic. He double checked all my installs and said they were all correct and that simply the conversion kit does NOT work. So now I have $400 in ignition parts that do jack on my car. Not a happy camper. But, good news is car is running lol.

something is setup wrong. call caspers if need be. i have a caspers Hot wire IGN and 87 coil pack with 0 issues. something is wrong. lets figure it out.

yea from what I have read online I havnt seen anyone have any problems with these kits. Maybe I have a faulty kit or something. I will be calling Caspers on Monday. Hopefully them or someone will know what causing the problem. It can't be the modules because we tried 3 different modules and 2 different types both with same result using the hotwire kit. So it has to be something in the wiring I think.

yea from what I have read online I havnt seen anyone have any problems with these kits. Maybe I have a faulty kit or something. I will be calling Caspers on Monday. Hopefully them or someone will know what causing the problem. It can't be the modules because we tried 3 different modules and 2 different types both with same result using the hotwire kit. So it has to be something in the wiring I think.

Someone had a similar issue a while back and traced it down to a faulty Caspers pigtail. Let us know what you find. (Pictures of this unit and the next one may be good for others to see. ;))

I just installed the hot-wire kit on my car 3 days ago works fine, did you check the wires that run from the module to the coil pack, my car was firing on 4 and 6 only I checked the wiring again from a post somebody had put up about the module swap he showed wiring diagrams I followed that and it fires on all 6 now

The post is on the first page of hot air section it's called 87 coil and module on 85 it was posted by jawbone hope it helps

I want to do the upgrade, but waiting for the $$$... was it a pita?

john

You don't need the upgrade if your current system is working.
Also, if you upgrade the ignition system, you don't need the adapter as the wires can be moved to the correct location.

I had problems with a adapter a few years ago... ended up there were a couple of wires on the adapter in the wrong places- wouldn't start! So...
here is a thread below that you can check every wire on the adapter to make sure they go to the right place- ONLY 3 WIRES are the same!! Go to the Alternate Method section and trace your wires to rule out the adapter harness.

Ignition Module Swap

just went through a similar situation, I got a $112 Borg warner 87 coil driver module from advance autopats, put in on the car and Code 42 pops up EST, Car runs but not right, THen I order genuine GM coil driver (ignition module) for over 225 bucks from highway stars and put it on and NO START!, ORDER 3rd Ignition module from napa ( wells) guess what my mechanic does before he hooks it up, He checks the Crank sensor and it is shorted, and it operates from the internal buffered 12 volt supply from inside the Ignition module, IF he would have just tried to start it I would be looking at a 4th module to buy.

I forgot to mention that this was a 85 to 87 conversion with the aluminum plate and the special caspers hot wire harness, I had over $700 bucks just in parts getting this thing done, BUT now IT running with a new 87 crank sensor with 85 adapter , cam sensor, ignition module , 84-85 new ignition pigtail splice, THIS was a real pain in the butt!

Make sure you and or your mechanic check the 12 volt buffer supply going to the crank and cam sensors, if it is real low look for a bad module and it may be a good idea to replace the Crank trigger and cam sensor cap while you got the chance to prevent future failure.

Hope this helps, Regards , TURBO E38

Check coil towers and reverse the two pairs that are not running

I forgot to mention that the firing order numbers on some coil paks do not correspond to the numbers printed on the coil pak.

THE original 84-85 coil tower to individual spark plug wire routing may not be the same, as when a 87 coil and ignition module CONVERSION on a 84-85 , you may get running on all six by reversing the two pairs not firing the proper plug at the proper time, Quick and easy to try!

Thanks for the tips. I have notice a few things on the car so have ALOT of troubleshooting going on at the moment. I just sent the hotwire kit back to Caspers. They said they would inspect it and go from there.

I am not getting a fuel reading when the car is running and I just replaced the fuel pump. I am wondering if the fuel level guage stuck in the up position. I have read that it showing incorrect fuel levels can cause some problems.

I also read on another post about someone who was having problems close to mine as well as only having bright headlights and no running lights. Their problem ended up being the fuel pump wiring harness in the trunk being hooked up backwards. So I check mine and mine has two connections going into the harness. But, only one was plugged in. There is one wire ran to the second plugin but it wouldnt matter if I plugged it in or not because the plug only has a connecter for one wire but it is on the wrong side of the plug and unlike the larger plugin it is not possible to hook it up backwards.

So still alot of reading to do will try to keep everyone up to date.