If you are racing, and your opponent's car breaks b4 the finish, is that still a win

818GN

Banned
Was discussing this on another forum.

2 cars were racing locally on the street.

70s Camaro vs. 3rd Gen Camaro

$6800 pot ($3400 per side)

200ft out the 3rd Gen's drive-shaft snaps, causing him to abort.

The 70s Camaro collects, and brags that he "beat" the other car.

Now here is the question....

If you are racing, street or track, and your opponent breaks down (unable to cross finish line) is that considered a WIN??

I though racing was about who has the faster car down the 1320, but when a hustle is involved (you break/you pay rules) it makes you wonder.

Curious on others opinions.

if you race and brake before the finish you lose period! now gemme my damn money.

You break, you lose. I would consider it a "win" $-wise, but no, he didn't "beat" anything.

Depends on who you were racing also. If you don't like them, take their $. If it is an acquaintance, or someone you may not want to pi$$ off, call it off until later. :biggrin:

Does one have the right to say they BEAT the other, when the race did not go the whole 1320 and both cars DID NOT cross the finish line?

? Is

Was he losing when he broke ? Thats a win . But if he was kicking some azz & it broke thats a dnf .. But your moneys still gone .. Ive never had anyone say hold on to your money till we can race again .. Put up or shut up around here ..

Does one have the right to say they BEAT the other, when the race did not go the whole 1320 and both cars DID NOT cross the finish line?

Same as running out of gas or missing a shift. The guy that crosses the line first . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . wins.
Don't street race much, do ya? :rolleyes:

Are you asking about the money, or about the bragging rights?

That race needs to get paid out, that's for sure. I personally don't think that I would brag on it as a "win" though.

Was he losing when he broke ? Thats a win . But if he was kicking some azz & it broke thats a dnf .. But your moneys still gone .. Ive never had anyone say hold on to your money till we can race again .. Put up or shut up around here ..

Broke less 200ft out from the start.

Are you asking about the money, or about the bragging rights?

That race needs to get paid out, that's for sure. I personally don't think that I would brag on it as a "win" though.

Money was paid out, no argument there.

Just asking:

Can someone legitimately claim that as a win?

Same as running out of gas or missing a shift.

Both are avoidable, breaking a drive-shaft is not.

First one across the finish line wins, unless someone left early

"RUBBIN is RACING, Harry! RUBBIN IS RACING!" (Sorry could not help myself. Been a long time since I saw that movie!)

Breaking down sucks. But a bet is a bet. No braggin' rights though. Get it fixed and do it again!

If you line up and began the race whatever happens happens, first man to the end wins....

Yes it's a win. The guy who wins like this should have enough class to know he got lucky and keep his mouth shut as well as put a muzzle on his nut hugger crew!!!

he won "and can claim so" but he should give the guy a rematch when back up.

ive won a couple races only to break after or during but still won even if i got towed home.

it's no different than when i smoked my friend's 351W powered Mustang with my stock 350 powered 76 Monte Carlo.. according to the local grain scale, my car weighed well over 1000 pounds more than his. after beating him, he was complaining that it didn't count because his carb wasn't working right. i told him too bad, so sad, i had my crap together and he didn't.. a week later, we raced again with the same result- this time he blamed the timing.. 20 years later, and he still doesn't think i really "beat" him..