Denial is natural if you drive a Stang

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
I have a friend/coworker...guy I've worked with through 3 different companies since the mid 90's.
He has an 05 Stang GT that he gave to the local Saleen shop a couple years back, and they installed the blower and intercooler set up that they install standard on the Saleen Stangs. He's also done some body kit work and suspension work to it....nice looking and nice running GT. Probably makes about 100HP more than a stock GT.

Anyway...he's been talking smack for the last couple years about what his GT would do to my Camaro and what his GT would do to my...Monte Carlo... grrrrrr.
I've always told him not to let fear and common sense stop him from trying his luck.

This morning...there he is in my rear view mirror....finally....
We were in line behind a Honda CBR and not at the best spot for a race, but I knew that we were headed for Edinger and there is one light on Edinger outside the old Tustin Air Base that is perfect. Long and straight for almost 1/2 mile...three wide lanes....no side streets at all....

As we approached the light, it turned red. I was in the outside lane. The Honda CBR was in the middle lane with my buddy behind him since he was unable to get over to the 3rd ahead of another car.

The Honda CBR guy eyeballed me...I knew I didn't have a chance...but figured it'd be fun. BEsides I had to get him to jump so my buddy could go for it
The CBR wasn't going to slow my buddy down at all.

Light went green and the CBR rolled into it...so did I. I broke the tires loose at about 20mph and went all in. The CBR just accelerated hard enough to stay up on me by a length (I'm a low 12 GN...he's a high 10 bike) and in my driver side view was my trying his darndest to keep up with us in his blown Stang. Bless his heart.:biggrin:

My buddy gave up at about the 8th when I was several cars up on him and the CBR eased off and let me pass him at about the 1/4 mile.

What a great way to start the morning.
Stang breakfast with a Motorcycle chaser....:biggrin:

My buddy is in denial now...says he didn't have a clean shot at me (honestly it wouldn't have mattered. It was never even close)....so I told him....

It's OK.
Denial is natural.
I'll help you through the grieving process

Step 1 is to accept that the loss to a Buick Regal is real
Step 2 is to make it OK to feel the pain of losing to a Buick Regal
Step 3 is to adjust to living with the loss to a Buick Regal
Step 4 is to find a place in your heart to move on in your Mustang and start to love it again
Step 5 is to buy more speed parts for your Mustang, fall in love with it again, and hope you can win...or...much easier...buy your own Turbo Buick.

:biggrin:

love it when people think there what EVER car with top shelf parts will beat our little 6 cyl regal...

Tim you should call him tonight and say, meet me at such&such time. Then run him heads up. First off say if I win you need to run a sticker on your back window "Ford Mustangs SUCK & Buick Grand Nationals RULE!!!" for one month. lol Like Cal did. :tongue: I can have it made let me know. ;)

Tim you should call him tonight and say, meet me at such&such time. Then run him heads up. First off say if I win you need to run a sticker on your back window "Ford Mustangs SUCK & Buick Grand Nationals RULE!!!" for one month. lol Like Cal did. :tongue: I can have it made let me know. ;)

I asked him today to run heads up and he backed down saying he doesn't want to waste gas on a "Monte Carlo"

I laughed at him and said, "Chikeeeeeeeeen."

I asked him today to run heads up and he backed down saying he doesn't want to waste gas on a "Monte Carlo"

I laughed at him and said, "Chikeeeeeeeeen."

Open wound....pour salt directly in, finish with a liberal sprinkling of lemon juice or rubbing alcohol.

Nice kill.

I love Mustangs. They taste just like, eeeh, errr.

Well let me tell you. They taste really good. ;)

Mike B.

We had another go this morning....this time was from a roll.
I had him lined up at a light on the same stretch of Edinger near the old Tustin airbase me in the inside lane, him on the outside...but...

...there was a small curve ahead of us (about 200 yards away) and I was waiting for him to make a move so he wouldn't have any excuses this time. As we rolled through the inersection, neither one of us giving a signal we were going to go for it... a car came out of a parking lot driveway ahead and cut across all three lanes ahead of us, so we waited until the car was settled in the lane about 50 yards in front of me...still pacing each other.

As I started to lane change to the middle to get from behind the other car and as we came around the curve to about 1 mile of wide open 3 laned straight road (one traffic light a 1/2 mile ahead then open for another 1/2 mile), I heard him getting into it. Not the best time since we were already doing about 45-50 but....

I didn't get to WOT and full boost until he was already up by a little over a length. As we raced I was sneaking up on him a bit, but.... :redface:
....ran out of gear and he started to walk away. Supercharged Stangs live at the top end.

He got me...
He's gloating now.
I asked him later how fast we were going when we stopped with him up by about 2 lengths and he said about 130mph...:eek:
He's also told me that Saleen tuned him to about 450HP

So I told him....
OK...today we established this much....
- if races start at just shy of 50 mph
- when I have to make a lane change to avoid another car
- and I give you a 1.5 car length jump
- and am detuned a bit for smog testing (cats back in)....
My lil ol 3.8 liter V6 Turbo will creep up on you and catch your rear fender, but will not be able to reel your Saleen Supercharged V8 back in before I run out of gear and you top end away from me.

I should be done with my smog test in a week or two...then I'm going to get serious baout maximizing my combo tune.

I've called him out and told him if we end up lined up next to each other at a light again like we did this AM.....don't wait till we hit almost 50 to start.....I won't give you the jump and won't listen to your whiing as I look at you in my rear view.
We'll do it from a dig where real racin' starts and it'll be over at the 1/4 mile mark before you can top end me again....:biggrin:

He's acting all smug...

Would you like me to come out and redeem your loss? LOL I like eating mustangs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.. :) tell him im running mid 12's ;)

Would you like me to come out and redeem your loss? LOL I like eating mustangs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.. :) tell him im running mid 12's ;)

Thanks Harold,
As fun as it'd be to watch a figurative big brother slap him silly....:biggrin:
....Nah...I picked this fight...I'll finish it in good form.

We all know I've been running veeeeeery conservative for this combo.
My tune has a lot of room left in it. I've left it at 20 lbs and never touched the timing or fuel and my O2's run over 800 consistently.

He has no clue what's going to happen to him "next time"
In a way....he's been fished in....

For now...I'm the one eating crow and making excuses to the Mustang guy.
But I'll CRUSH IT!!!!!
:cool:
I might even call him out to Fontana once the weather cools a bit. He's been saying he wants to go and see what his Stang will ET and I need to see what my GN will truly ET.