If you are racing, and your opponent's car breaks b4 the finish, is that still a win

im surprised there is even a debate? u dont make to the finish line you lose period. I dont understand what the argument is.

You bet your ass its a win. On the street the only thing that matters is who crosses the finish line first. The second both cars are in motion it's a race. If one racer leaves before the signal and the other doesn't move it's a no race and either they line up again or if prediscussed the early leaver loses. There are no rules in a street race. Hopefully an honest non biased person is holding the $. I've seen plenty of races where scum bags did some crazy chit and still lost and wouldnt pay.

First one across the finish line wins, unless someone left early

Once they both move it's a race regardless of who left early. Don't ever street race if you don't understand that.

he won "and can claim so" but he should give the guy a rematch when back up.

ive won a couple races only to break after or during but still won even if i got towed home.
He doesn't and sure as hell shouldn't benexpected to give the other racer a rematch. You start a race and lose you just keep hour mouth shut and move on. There is always someone willing to race and there is always someone faster.