>if the hose from the waste gate sol is unhooked

headslide

Will I have max boost or low boost I just got this car and the hoses that t into the solonoid are just pulled off and plugged .new to the turbo Buick s just trying to learn

If you could post a pic it would help. If just the hose is off the waste gate and plugged you will get whatever boost the waste gate actuator is set too-assuming no leaks in the other hoses. Best bet for the short term is to get all of the hoses put back to the factory set up with the factory waste gate solinoid. Even then be carreful and ease into boost to see what the max is. Does the car have a good after market boost gauge?

Yes autometer the hoses are t d together and then the end that would have been hooked to the solonoid is plugged . My friend said that all I was getting was spring pressure .but the way I think this works is the boost pressure from the compresor side is holding the waste gate closed , so I'm basically getting all the turbo will put out ......witch in this case is 15 -16 pounds .now unless I'm mistaken the waste gate opens when pressure in the exhaust housings is greater than the boost pressure comming out of the compressor. Please correct me if I'm wrong .I'm not really worried about the 15 16 pounds it's making the modification s are 340 lph walbro adjustable fpr 36#injectors headstuds lockwires cold air kit aftermarket headers downpipe dump pipe 2.5 exhaust and a chip ,the chip said 36# injectors 17# 93 octane @20 degrees .now keep in mind this car has set for 15 years till I got it and I'm just trying to get it going ,.I've changed tank fp fp hanger plugs bunch of rotted vacuum lines and oilchange . I thank you for your help

You would have higher boost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes autometer the hoses are t d together and then the end that would have been hooked to the solonoid is plugged . My friend said that all I was getting was spring pressure .but the way I think this works is the boost pressure from the compresor side is holding the waste gate closed , so I'm basically getting all the turbo will put out ......witch in this case is 15 -16 pounds .now unless I'm mistaken the waste gate opens when pressure in the exhaust housings is greater than the boost pressure comming out of the compressor. Please correct me if I'm wrong .I'm not really worried about the 15 16 pounds it's making the modification s are 340 lph walbro adjustable fpr 36#injectors headstuds lockwires cold air kit aftermarket headers downpipe dump pipe 2.5 exhaust and a chip ,the chip said 36# injectors 17# 93 octane @20 degrees .now keep in mind this car has set for 15 years till I got it and I'm just trying to get it going ,.I've changed tank fp fp hanger plugs bunch of rotted vacuum lines and oilchange . I thank you for your help

Your assumptions are totally incorrect. Your turbo is capable of a LOT more than 15# of boost if uncontrolled. The pressure coming from the compressor housing is what is applied to the wastegate actuator, and once the internal spring pressure is overcome (usually between 12-15# depending on the spring) the waste will be forced open and hold boost at that pressure. The solenoid (the device disconnected on your setup) is actually used to raise boost over the wastegate spring, and is controlled by the ECM.
Now, the question is..... Is there an actual "T" in the boost control hoses or is it shaped like a "Y".

It never ceases to amaze my some of the bastardizations that can occur to these cars along the way.

Ok thank you bison .what are some reasons the turbo is only producing 15 16 shouldn't it make 20 at least? Oh by the way what should the fuel pressure be set to a d how's the best water to do it

.................It never ceases to amaze me some of the bastardizations that can occur to these cars along the way.

Thanks for the "new" word Dave which I can use in describing many of the turbo cars I have worked on lately! :LOL:

Your assumptions are totally incorrect. Your turbo is capable of a LOT more than 15# of boost if uncontrolled. The pressure coming from the compressor housing is what is applied to the wastegate actuator, and once the internal spring pressure is overcome (usually between 12-15# depending on the spring) the waste will be forced open and hold boost at that pressure. The solenoid (the device disconnected on your setup) is actually used to raise boost over the wastegate spring, and is controlled by the ECM.
Now, the question is..... Is there an actual "T" in the boost control hoses or is it shaped like a "Y".

It never ceases to amaze my some of the bastardizations that can occur to these cars along the way.
Dave thank you for your reply now that k think about it it actually is a y I guess the point I was trying to make was that they are just connect ed together .just so I understand if I hook up the wast gate I will make the amount of boost called for by the ecm is thi correct ?if my chip said 17 or 18 pounds the waste gate solonoid will make the turbo produce more Boost thaan what the wast gate is set for .? Man now I'm really confused .

Dave thank you for your reply now that k think about it it actually is a y I guess the point I was trying to make was that they are just connect ed together .just so I understand if I hook up the wast gate I will make the amount of boost called for by the ecm is thi correct ?if my chip said 17 or 18 pounds the waste gate solonoid will make the turbo produce more Boost thaan what the wast gate is set for .? Man now I'm really confused .

Yes, true. However, if the wastegate actuator has an adjustable rod (very likely), that could add/subtract a few #'s from what the chip is commanding for boost.
Unplug that disconnected hose and hook it to one of the empty hose barbs on the solenoid. Leave the other barb open to atmosphere.

The factory calibration with the solenoid unplugged should produce about 10psi of boost. The remaining boost is achieved by the solenoid which is pulse with modulated to bleed off boost from the circuit and raise boost. This assumes the factory restrictor is used in the y fitting. The reason this was done was to delay the signal to the actuator a little to prevent premature opening on ramp in and increase response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. I started glazing over this, but here's a question. Does your wastegate actuator have threads and a nut on it for adjusting the length of the arm that connects to the puck on the turbo? If so, then that is how boost is being controlled. The shorter the arm, the higher the spring pressure, and the more boost it takes to open it. This is how we controlled boost back in the old days. In that case the solenoid is bypassed. You need to figure out what chip you have in order to see what boost the ECM is set to.

Best not to hook it back up for now if you are manually controlled by spring pressure. Worst thing that will happen at this point is your spoolup will be a little slower.

The hose from the turbo wast gate goes where ? I mean what is it hooked to.I hope not the boost gauge
you are controlling boost some how .
I set FP @43# with the vacuum line of at idle ,dose it have a adjustable FP regulator?

Yes, true. However, if the wastegate actuator has an adjustable rod (very likely), that could add/subtract a few #'s from what the chip is commanding for boost.
Unplug that disconnected hose and hook it to one of the empty hose barbs on the solenoid. Leave the other barb open to atmosphere.
OK Dave I will do this when I get home

Y
The hose from the turbo wast gate goes where ? I mean what is it hooked to.I hope not the boost gauge
you are controlling boost some how .
I set FP @43# with the vacuum line of at idle ,dose it have a adjustable FP regulator?
Yes it's adjustable it won't go below about 45#

Ok. I started glazing over this, but here's a question. Does your wastegate actuator have threads and a nut on it for adjusting the length of the arm that connects to the puck on the turbo? If so, then that is how boost is being controlled. The shorter the arm, the higher the spring pressure, and the more boost it takes to open it. This is how we controlled boost back in the old days. In that case the solenoid is bypassed. You need to figure out what chip you have in order to see what boost the ECM is set to.

Best not to hook it back up for now if you are manually controlled by spring pressure. Worst thing that will happen at this point is your spoolup will be a little slower.
No there is not treads on the waste gate

That would be bad reg. or return line restriction
You said you have changed FP lines at tank ,No rust in them?
Both are old and sitting ,remove return line off reg. just use a LITTLE air pressure and blow back to tank,should be free (remove gas cap)

Well got a little time to work on this thing ,found a exhaust leak fixed that then hooked up actuator .well.I've seen 22 pounds of boost .and allot of tire spin .now Isnide the car is an ancient wideband it has a knock allert on it well it is going beep beep beep .so does that mean I'm having detonation. And how do.I fix it what do I ne ed to know