Ideas on how to relieve crank case pressure?

85_Riv_T

Just a 4100lbs T-type
So the hose that went from the valve cover to the intake arm was done for. I replaced it with a breather and capped the intake arm off. Ever since then when ever i boost or hit higher RPMs my oil dip stick comes out and oil goes every where. I have already replaced the PCV and still it happens. Where can i relieve some of this pressure?

I dont see the smog pump. I dont think my engine is the same at all. 85 riviera t-type engines arnt even the same as 85 t-types. frustrating.

The pump is added on... If you have a fill cap in the other valve cover then you should be good by making that into a breather as well. Usually 2 breathers does the trick. Other than that you may want to consider adding a check valve before the PCV valve to stop the boost leak into the crankcase that happens on all boosted cars without a check valve there.

Is the oil also coming out of the breather? I experienced something simular in my GN. When ever I went autocrossing the oil would pool in the heads and pour out of the breather. Since the breather on the Riv is on the back of the valve cover than maybe that is why? Might even be a PCV issue.

One of the first things we do is pull of that hose that connects the passenger valve cover to the turbo inlet. You could connect that back and fix the problem. Or you could use an electric vacuum pump or you could go all out and use a belt driven vacuum pump.

It sure would be nice for someone to innovate a way to run that hose with an oil trap.

least of my problems now....

So i took it for a test drive after i twisted the dip stick around for better connection and tried a hose insted of a breather and when i parked to check under the hood everything was fine HOWEVER when i got back into the car and went to take off (the car was still running) it just died on me. All atemps to restart the car were in vain. I just had the ting rebuilt and it runs worse than it did before. 5000$ later of course. If it a wiring thing i would have hoped that they would have told me if not i def didnt get my moneys worth.

Is the oil also coming out of the breather? I experienced something simular in my GN. When ever I went autocrossing the oil would pool in the heads and pour out of the breather. Since the breather on the Riv is on the back of the valve cover than maybe that is why? Might even be a PCV issue.

I had the same problem. To keep the oil from coming out the breather, take some coarse steel wool and push into the breather. The oil mist will coalesce on the wool and drain back into the engine.

So i took it for a test drive after i twisted the dip stick around for better connection and tried a hose insted of a breather and when i parked to check under the hood everything was fine HOWEVER when i got back into the car and went to take off (the car was still running) it just died on me. All atemps to restart the car were in vain. I just had the ting rebuilt and it runs worse than it did before. 5000$ later of course. If it a wiring thing i would have hoped that they would have told me if not i def didnt get my moneys worth.

Sounds like a crank sensor for the no start. Sounds like a head gasket for the crank case pressure.

hope that is the case with it because both of those things are under warranty. however it will cost about 300 to get it towed and i dont have that type of cash for that right now. i feel the shop should pick some of this up because if they had done it right it wouldnt have died and i wouldnt have to get it towed. I dont know if i am out of line asking this of them. i dont want to make them mad because they are really nice people with a good rep.

hope that is the case with it because both of those things are under warranty. however it will cost about 300 to get it towed and i dont have that type of cash for that right now. i feel the shop should pick some of this up because if they had done it right it wouldnt have died and i wouldnt have to get it towed. I dont know if i am out of line asking this of them. i dont want to make them mad because they are really nice people with a good rep.

Rent a flat deck and trailer it there - assuming you can borrow a truck to tow it.

As to asking for the towing cash - the worst they can do is say no. A stand up shop will pay.

$5k!!!

I just had the ting rebuilt and it runs worse than it did before. 5000$ later of course. If it a wiring thing i would have hoped that they would have told me if not i def didnt get my moneys worth.

While they have the car, ask for a compression test, and a leakdown.. Sounds to me like a "Dupont overhaul". No reason for that much blowby on a new engine!
Have the testing done while U R there. DO NOT take thier word for what is found....

thanks for the advise. I am going to try and rent a trailer. i have a truck i can use so thats a +. As for the compression test and leak test, good idea. I will make sure to be there when they do it. Oh, if the trailer thing didnt clue you in..they are not going to help out with the tow.

thanks for the advise. I am going to try and rent a trailer. i have a truck i can use so thats a +. As for the compression test and leak test, good idea. I will make sure to be there when they do it. Oh, if the trailer thing didnt clue you in..they are not going to help out with the tow.

Don't forget to get tie-downs.

Was this a shop in SD that rebuilt your motor? who was it?
i would rather not say what shop it was nor where it is. They have a very good rep and 1 bad apple, i dont think, should be a reason to put them on blast on the forum. Plus it isnt my style to do something like that, sorry.