IAC issues in cold weather?

asd60303

I've been battling this problem for two winters now. Car will not idle in cold weather <35 degrees. It will idle fine up until the scanmaster shows coolant at 32 degrees then it just dies out on me. It doesn't stumble or anything just dies out like I turned the car off. Between 32-55 degrees it will continue to die unless I sit there and apply the gas pedal. After I restart it, the IAC counts will be around 180 and stay there until the temp gets up to around 130 (even when i'm driving). After 55 degrees it runs smooth. It doesn't matter what gear it's in. I have adjusted & cleaned the IAC and TPS but still dies out. I'm thinking the IAC is bad but how would I test it? I'm also thinking I need a new chip. Any insight on this? I have searched but didn't find anything useful.

What chip are you running? I would replace the IAC if you cleaned it and tryed resetting it already.

What chip are you running? I would replace the IAC if you cleaned it and tryed resetting it already.

Just whatever chip was in the car when I bought it a few years back. I believe its from Street Performance, a local shop that went out of business awhile back. I'm gonna replace the IAC this weekend and see if it helps.

Do yourself a favor and get a modern chip burned for your cars combination, such as a Turbo Tweak chip from Eric, you will not believe the difference in the idle of the car and the overall performance improvement with todays chips.

Its the CHIP!! Get one from Eric at Turbo Tweak & you wont have this issue & since the IAC is OLD grab a new one! Old Cars need New Parts! just the nature of the beast! Good Luck!! Cheers!

Its the CHIP!! Get one from Eric at Turbo Tweak & you wont have this issue & since the IAC is OLD grab a new one! Old Cars need New Parts! just the nature of the beast! Good Luck!! Cheers!

Agree it's probably the chip.... disagree about replacing the iac. If you can get the iac adjusted properly (proper counts) when the car is good and warm, and it sounds like you have, and then get crazy iac numbers at low temps, that shows the iac is motoring in and out fine and just doing what the chip is telling it to. Just make sure it's clean, get a new chip, and reset/adjust the tps/iac according to normal procedure. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :tongue: IAC's are pretty simple and durable, and don't go bad real often....

Thanks for the help guys, I'll talk to Turbo Tweak. Another question, I don't know my cars combination...is this going to be a big issue when ordering a chip? I bought the car when I didn't know too much about TR's.

Eric will have to know your cars injector size, turbo size,cam, any headwork done, you have to give him something to go by!

The only thing I don't know is the cam size or if any headwork has been done. Like I said, I bought the car with no prior knowledge about turbo regals...i didn't know what I was getting myself into with this car.

Well then just give Eric the info that you know about the car, turbo size, injector size etc.

I ordered a chip from Eric tonight. Hopefully this helps..it's annoying revving your car up in the school parking lot everyday to keep it from dieing out, lol. I'll let you guys know if it fixes this problem. Thanks for the help turbojd.

Alittle update to this thread. I installed eric's chip today before the family came over...WOW what a difference it makes! The car is a completely different animal. It idles so smooth and runs just awesome.

Alittle update to this thread. I installed eric's chip today before the family came over...WOW what a difference it makes! The car is a completely different animal. It idles so smooth and runs just awesome.

Glad to hear!