I want a definative answer on coil packs...

kidglok said:
that will show if its completely dead, but what if it randomly starts to skip out at varying loads/rpm?

It will show if it's weak also. I've replaced about 10 bad coils in the last 3 years on cars that mis-fired on the dyno. A few more elsewhere. Removing wires one at a time reveals the weak coils. This is the same method ive used on just about any ignition over the years. When at the drag strip or wherever. If it's random it's probably not the coil. Usually the coil will never die 100%. it will just get weaker and weaker and eventually mis-fire. If i pull a wire and see a nice consistent blue spark I'm very confident the coil is functioning as It should.

It will show if it's weak also. I've replaced about 10 bad coils in the last 3 years on cars that mis-fired on the dyno. A few more elsewhere. Removing wires one at a time reveals the weak coils. This is the same method ive used on just about any ignition over the years. When at the drag strip or wherever. If it's random it's probably not the coil. Usually the coil will never die 100%. it will just get weaker and weaker and eventually mis-fire. If i pull a wire and see a nice consistent blue spark I'm very confident the coil is functioning as It should.

what do you replace them with?

Heard back from nos4gn and decided to go with 2 of the $39 ones,thought I'd put a new one on everytime I change the oil ha ha.

Heard back from nos4gn and decided to go with 2 of the $39 ones,thought I'd put a new one on everytime I change the oil ha ha.

You end up with a lot of spares with these cars. When your module goes bad, you may look into the TR6 ignition module from Bob Bailey. This should eliminate all coil/module issues for a long time. Reliability is yet to be determined but Bob has let few down from my understanding.

...What about that $39 dollar one at NOS4GN,any good?

I have one of the $39 coil packs from nos4GN on my car. It's fairly new so I don't know how long it will last, but it did seem to give me a little umph in the bottom end on take off, plus it doesn't seem to stink up the garage at idle as much now as opposed to the old coil pack: possibly due to a hotter spark.

You end up with a lot of spares with these cars. When your module goes bad, you may look into the TR6 ignition module from Bob Bailey. This should eliminate all coil/module issues for a long time. Reliability is yet to be determined but Bob has let few down from my understanding.

Yeah once I get some cash together I'm going to probably get all the little sensors and what not to have on hand as the car will be in a small town and I need it reliable or to get on a problem quick.

I'm running the $100 one from Highway Stars with no issues.