I want a definative answer on coil packs...

3-5.0

I've read alot of old threads and signed up at NOS4GN to get the $100 acdelco but haven't heard back so I went to GNSpecialties and they have one for $84+$25 shipping. Both ship U.S.P.S which is good,anyway which one is the GNSpecialties chinese or U.S made? does it even matter at this point.

...What about that $39 dollar one at NOS4GN,any good?.I can get 2 or them,one for backup cause these things sound like they crap out all the time.

Also I have a NAPA here in town but have a feeling the price is going to be crazy- I will phone them-at least its right here though. Which ones do NAPA sell,maybe I can cross reference the PN and get one off Ebay.

I bought a used one off the board when I converted to IC from hot air about 7 years ago and havent had a single issue. I have driven cross country, and daily most of those years. I picked up a spare used one off here cheap for a spare too, and havent had to use it.

Give Highway Stars a call. They are a GM authorized dealer and do sell top quality parts. I have bought their "Premium High Output coil" and have no issue.

http://www.nos4gn.com/servlet/the-450/Buick-Grand-National-high/Detail

So things you must learn and it is hard AND REALLY REALLY sucks is that you do have to wait for good things/parts for these cars. Now if you go buy so cheap Autozone crap or chinesse crap for you car and start to have issues and running problems, WHICH YOU WILL, then no one fault than your own. So stick with one of these vendors on the board and order from them. Love your car and they will treat you right.......

Give Highway Stars a call. They are a GM authorized dealer and do sell top quality parts. I have bought their "Premium High Output coil" and have no issue.

http://www.nos4gn.com/servlet/the-450/Buick-Grand-National-high/Detail

So things you must learn and it is hard AND REALLY REALLY sucks is that you do have to wait for good things/parts for these cars. Now if you go buy so cheap Autozone crap or chinesse crap for you car and start to have issues and running problems, WHICH YOU WILL, then no one fault than your own. So stick with one of these vendors on the board and order from them. Love your car and they will treat you right.......

I did start an account with them and emailed 2 days ago...meh I'll see. Also I agree on trying to get as best you can-especially on these f**king cars.Being broke don't mix either.

For info-I did phone NAPA and the ones in stock were 2 types,one was a "premium" for $187.00 ouch,and another he called jobber for $121.00. I asked about the jobber and he said it was a PN#IC28SB. The brand names of both fall under Blue Streak,Standard,Echlin. From what I can tell the jobber is probably Echlin. They both come with 12 month warranty. The Standard and Blue Streak seem to be some what quality parts-from what little I see online. Echlin I've seen for a much much cheaper price-but if it goes wonky then what.

Call Highway Stars!!!! (847) 599-1600
They don't always get emails. They sell them for $109 + shipping..... A warranty doesn't mean dick when your running crap on your car. There is a bunch of info out there about coil packs for these cars. But then and again, it is your car!!

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

unless your testing these with a caspers ccci tester, you may never realize its missing on two cylinders (usually the center)

Phone a dealership in your area. I got a buddy who is a parts guy for GM, he found one that was sitting on the shelf of a dealer for over 15 yrs. They wanted it gone, so I picked it up for $59. Did have to travel 40 miles to get it, but no big deal.

Buy the one from Highwaystars for $40.00 I bought it tested it and it took the CCCI tester no problem. It doesn't matter if you buy a $200 or this one they might fail or be fine for the life of your car. If your worried buy a Casper tester so you can check it out.

Rockauto has various brands including Delco. The delco was alittle over $100 IIRC.

kidglok said:
unless your testing these with a caspers ccci tester, you may never realize its missing on two cylinders (usually the center)

Sure you can. Just pull one of the wires of the center coil and start it.

I know a rep for Bluestreak and he says no difference.o_O So I am trying to get him a new GM unit to test at their facility and will post results.If anyone has anything to contribute please let me know.:D

Kevin

THEY ARE ALL JUNK!!! JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK

I find they last with good voltage. I run my car @ 14.5 volts minimum, I have the module hotwired, and I've been using my same module and coil pack, both highway stars, for 3 years, 30k miles, and 42 passes now so far. I ran through a couple when my alternator was going bad but none since that was fixed.

Thanks for the replies guys,pretty much gleaned the same basic info from previous threads,but! as usual maybe someone else can pull something from this one and there was a few things I picked up.

Same basic info:
nos4gn's ac delco packaged unit is a favored bet,although some use the cheaper $39 one with success.
You can buy a used one or a real cheap one and it can be used with success.
You can't always be sure whether your getting Chinese or U.S made-unless you buy from nos4gn.
You can by one of the cheap ones and it is a matter of time before it goes.
You can buy an expensive one...and its a matter of time before it goes.

One major thing I learned is (thanks we4Mateo) is you can ruin one with low voltage,which would explain mine going. I initially thought the check engine light came on my car because I changed the oil and used a different filter,as it turns out it mighta coulda been the low battery. My car has under 15k miles supposedly (original delco unit so that theory goes out the window)and the whole reason I bought a car like that is to avoid crap like this./rant.

Thanks for the replies guys,pretty much gleaned the same basic info from previous threads,but! as usual maybe someone else can pull something from this one and there was a few things I picked up.

Same basic info:
nos4gn's ac delco packaged unit is a favored bet,although some use the cheaper $39 one with success.
You can buy a used one or a real cheap one and it can be used with success.
You can't always be sure whether your getting Chinese or U.S made-unless you buy from nos4gn.
You can by one of the cheap ones and it is a matter of time before it goes.
You can buy an expensive one...and its a matter of time before it goes.

One major thing I learned is (thanks we4Mateo) is you can ruin one with low voltage,which would explain mine going. I initially thought the check engine light came on my car because I changed the oil and used a different filter,as it turns out it mighta coulda been the low battery. My car has under 15k miles supposedly (original delco unit so that theory goes out the window)and the whole reason I bought a car like that is to avoid crap like this./rant.

The other half of the voltage thought process is grounds. I believe a good alternator makes coil packs/modules last but for that voltage to pass through the system properly, you need to reinforce the factory grounds; even on a low mile example. Low miles doesn't stop time from ticking and the grounds were barely enough when new so now that the wiring is 25+ years old, this needs to be addressed. And it's one of the cheaper things you can do to gain extra performance out of your electrical system.