I need tips, 1st race tomorrow vs srt8 charger!!!---

alwayscode390

Hey Guys. I have only had the car for 4 days, lol ... and someone is calling me out at work. He wants to go at it during lunch. I havent had time launching this car, so if you can give me tips it would be appreciated ( so I can represent us well!!! ). I am not scared of losing, but of hurting the car.

Here are MY specs:

-150k miles on bottom end, 20k on cam and springs
*Edelbrock Performer RPM cam,lifter,double roller t.chain, and springs
-Razor alky that I am not sure is working, but its hooked up
-KN cone filter
-Nitto Drag Radials 245/50/16 (what pressure should I run?)
-Dyno tune at 320rwhp (I would say 400 crank),
-Flowmaster Exhaust with cat delete .
-MSD 50 lb injectors
-Manual fan switch over ride
-Fuel pressure regulator (adjustable)
-New msd Coil Pack,wires, and ignition module
-MAF translator with LT1 maf

Here are HIS specs:
06' SRT8 Charger with an 08' Engine 10k miles
-Diablo programmer
-Magnaflow high flow cats and mufflers
-Cold Air Kit
-22" x 10" Viper wheels (heavy replicas)

I would guess he is pushing close to 475crank hp

Stock vs Stock Specs:

ME vs. Him :

Weight- 3346 vs 4160
0-60 - 5.3 sec vs 5.3 sec
1/4 mile- 13.4 sec vs 13.5 sec

Seems like it will be REAL close, I just need to launch good and I hope his big wheels slow him down.

We will be racing between 1/8 to 1/4 mile on an unprepped surface. Should I heat them up? I havent tried to burnout with a turbo'd auto before... do I just stomp the brake and push the gas quickly to break them loose?

I did some searching and seen a lot of people stomp the break and slowly push the gas to 2000 rpm for a launch in our cars. Does that sound right?

I am going to top off the oil ( slight rear main leak ), I heard to overfill the tranny by 1/4-1/2 quart to compensate for the sloshing during launch, but should I add some octane booster from the auto store? I am using 93 right now and the tank is 1/2 full.

It will be in the low 30's for the temp... so the turbo should be happy.

Thanks for the tips :) ---

-Razor alky that I am not sure is working, but its hooked up

your are chancing something "may not be hooked up" ??? what a waste of time "racing" something you obviously no nothing about :rolleyes: Oh you can prob change your name to BOOM BOOM instead of "alwayscode390" after ya race him.. Just remember to keep the pedal to the metal ..you may luck out :cool: oh push him!! so you are running all of a 1/4 mile

Well with a new bottom end, i wouldnt put a lot of PRM on that new engine. Pull it out of OD, and let it shift it self, dont go any faster than you must, and keep RPM low, add some octain booster, good luck!

If I have the chance of blowing up the engine I wont even try to race him.

The pyrometer I have shows that the engine is in a good tune. If the alky is not hooked up, I didnt think it was a big deal. I just wouldnt have that extra hp.

I may back out ... but I would appreciate the launch tips anyway.

How fragile are our cranks? I read somewhere that a boost launch or a burnout could cause crank damage from the stock torque converter? ---

Why not take them to a track so you can ensure a prepped, even surface. I think with a good launch you should easily take him out of the hole.

Why not take them to a track so you can ensure a prepped, even surface. I think with a good launch you should easily take him out of the hole.

It may be prudent to wait until you have learned more about your car, its quirks, its potential and how to launch it. I would not recommend doing this on the street either :)

You need to study up on your alchy kit installation and function. If the boost, tune and chip are set to assume alchohol, you'll blow a head gasket without it (that is the significance of Grumpy's "boom" remark).

Whats the hurry anyway? Take your time.

Congrats on your new toy !!!

Take time to get used to your new car and learn how to drive it. These cars do not launch like "normal" cars do. Go easy on the car until you know that parts are what they are suppose to be and if they are compatible ie: chip+alky+boost lever+octane. If you don't have everything properly tuned, you could blow a head gasket (no fun to replace in a TTA) or you blow the crank and rods out of the bottom!!

If the alky is not hooked up, I didnt think it was a big deal. I just wouldnt have that extra hp.

The alky kit don't add HP it helps control detonation so you can use all your HP with out blowing things up under high boost. And it's not some magic juice that will protect you either, you need to make sure everything is running properly or you will find out that things go BOOM fast under boost.

No offence but...

Doesnt sound like you know enough about these engines, so dont race!

People used to flood these boards with blown up sh!t years ago and now most people are really enjoying their cars at the track in the 12,11,10 sec range with little to no problems.

The alky kit don't add HP it helps control detonation so you can use all your HP with out blowing things up under high boost.

ummmmm you think Alky provides no power ??? It kills detonation and it IS a fuel. Alky allows you to run more boost with pump gas .. Alky is the best thing that has come out for Buicks and TTAs.. From stockers to street cars like Melissa's 9.94 @ 138 :wink:

ummmmm you think Alky provides no power ??? It kills detonation and it IS a fuel. Alky allows you to run more boost with pump gas .. Alky is the best thing that has come out for Buicks and TTAs.. From stockers to street cars like Melissa's 9.94 @ 138 :wink:

X2 :biggrin:

I would also recomend doing some testing at the track first. Most of the times new cars are slower than expected. My TTA had a few small issues I had to take care of when i first got it. It was a slug when I got it. But after fixing a few basic things it was purring like a kitten. :)

Yes, I know It is the best thing that came out for our cars, I guess my post came out wrong about hp But if your racing without it and boost'n with no alky you take a chance I know I've been there done that got the T-shirt :( . Like you said it helps control detonation to run the higher boost for more power ;) without it we all know what will happen esp if the tune is not right. Also do you have something to monitor knock?

Thanks guys, I will definately just wait. Its not worth it.

He just really had me hyped up. He was trash talking me in front of about 15 guys at work, so I know when I show up tonight but wont race he will say "excuses excuses, its ok if your scared". Hahaha ... thats all in good fun though.

I have a scanmaster on the dash , but its not working. I would feel a lot better if I had everything worked out first. I appreciate you guys helping me with stern level headed advice. :) .

The guy I bought it from wasnt sure if the alky kit was working, but he had it dyno tuned the way it sits (it was done a month ago). I am pretty sure the tune is spot on for the condition the car currently is in, but I obviously am not comfortable enough with the car to risk anything. ---

I show up tonight but wont race he will say "excuses excuses, its ok if your scared".

Trust me, that won't fly for long. You will get everything fixed and be ready at some point and I bet you'll beat him. Then what's he going to say?

He's already made a fatal mistake and doesn't know it. I learned this from being on the other side of way too many Buick V6 Turbos: Never pre-arrange a race with a turbo charged vehicle. They will show up tuned to kill everytime.

Once you beat him, ask him daily if "That thing got a Hemi?" :biggrin:

30 degree temps and drag radials....If the pavement is 30 degrees it will be a slow motion drift race.

I know it must kill you to "say" and "think" you won't chance it and race him. Please check your pride at the door if you do race him.

Do things too fast (like the others have said) and bad things can happen.

Hell, from a dead stop punch without powerbraking you might take him.

You are definately right about the cold temps and dr's. There is way too much wrong with this situation. I just have to show patience, and take a little bit of crap tonight. It will pay off in the end!!! ---

I have driven a SRT8 Charger before and after mods...I installed a Magnaflow cat back and Airaid Cold Air Intake w/RamAir option on it for my buddy. Stock 6.1 SRT8 makes about 370hp to the wheels...w/exhaust and CAI should be around 400hp to the wheels. Yes they run pretty good but my guess is a stock TTA will take it...they are big heavy cars. A stock TTA will run 13.00's and even possibly 12.90's with moderate mods will run 12's easy and 11's with the right tune. The SRT8 will run mid 13's stock and will get into the 12's w/heads, cam, high flow mid pipes, high flow catback, CAI, Diablo tune and DR's. If your tun is right w/alky and 20+ boost you will beat him easily in my opinion.

I would not trust your so called dyno tune especially if you don't even know if the alky and and your Scanmaster is working. You didn't mention what turbo you have or what boost you are running...assuming not much boost since you don't know if the alky is working?

My car with it's current mods will destroy my buddy's modded SRT8 Charger without a doubt...before I blew a head gasket this past weekend that is ;) My car only has 49K on it too...you have 150 on the bottom end...you are on borrowed time for sure...poor tune and it will only take one hard run to grenade the bottom end.

Get it right and make sure everything is working correct and you will beat him...don't blow it up trying to hurry up the inveitable...he will eventually find out what he is dealing with :cool:

Good luck...a lot to learn about these car...trust me, had mine for 4 years now and still learning :rolleyes:

I am running the stock garrett turbo on the 16.5lbs of boost (stock level).

What are the stock turbo specs (in/out/model number)? I couldnt find it in a search. THANKS ---