I might need a fuel pump. Which to get?

^ You obviously have no idea what kind of person nick is.

I know what he said.

He wrote it on this forum and I quoted him. After he dismissed the high pressure results that a few people posted he told on himself in a later post when he described the test he and Eric and others performed. In his description he spoke of a slightly modified ( ie modified ) return line. Why did he modify the return line? Because he knew of the problem.

Please provide quotes from me.

^ provide quotes for you? Provide the Links and post numbers since your bringing it up.

My Walbro mght be out. Which pump to get now? I want to stay with a single pump.

Here is the original post.

Out of curiosity...do you have to upgrade the OE return line if you install anything larger than a 255 lph pump? I thought I read that somewhere.

DMM want's to know if he will have to upgrade his return line. Others will have this concern.

So no mods to fuel line with DW pump?

Here,the OP is also concerned about this. The answer will effect his decision.

I installed a DW pump and I couldn't get my idle pressure below 50. After installing a new return line I was able to get it down to where it needed to be.

Here is one answer.

^ @ DMM, no.

Here's another answer to the same question. Does this answer give SpeednV6 enough information to make a good choice?

I had to run a bigger FPR and return line to get my Deatschwerks idle pressure down.

Another answer.

You won't have to change it,but you might have to modify it.

Here's the answer I gave. Since he mentioned that E85 was in his future and his signature listed a t66,I recommended Reds double pumper,as he was at or would be at the limit of a single pump.

If you run E85,your motor will use 30% more fuel at idle,so you wouldn't need to modify or replace the return line.
Since you use 30% more fuel throughout the power band,this single pump will run out of steam sooner.

Then I showed an example of how SpeednV6 could install a DW pump without worrying about the return line. I also warned him that using E85 would put a greater demand on the single pump.

Does anyone see anything I wrote that wasn't correct? Do you see anything that was bad advise?
To the ones who are so outraged by my factual statements,Why aren't you chastising brif and Flyin Brian for their paranoid,scare tactic,exaggerated comments.

So you want him to get a RA XP or a double pumper? you changing your mind on what he should get?

I didn't notice that you were asking about the OP. For anyone who wants a single pump,I recommend Red's XP and volt booster. If this isn't enough for there needs,I recommend his Doublepumper and volt booster. Of course,I already posted this.

just because he has a T66 and is looking at E85 possibly down the road doesn't mean he will be at the limit of a single pump.

Should we also bring up that reds pump, is not built to handle E85, The DW pump is capatible with ethanol as well as the 3 year warranty.

I'm not saying you are giving bad advice, im pointing out that yes, you might have to mod the lines but its not a big deal as you have posted yourself. Also i would rather mod my lines once then have to keep changing failing pumps and having to buy new ones.

Im also pointing out that talking about fuel heating is a bunch of BS for our TR as this has never become a issue before and you must agree because you don't want to talk about it anymore.

Im also pointing out their is flaws with every system you choose. I would skip the DP and go to a external single pump if i needed more fuel. I don't like the fact if i lose a pump going down the track for whatever reason im going to melt my motor because at 20+psi things happen fast. Regardless of how often it happens their is a chance just like the chance of a DW causing a overwhelming issue.

Every person needs to look at what their needs are and find out what setup is best for them. They can use the search key and find out about 80% of what they need to know from prior posts. Or they can call several vendors and talk to them and see what they recommend and go from there. Thats what i would do since some many people on this board think they know what works and what doesn't but yet they have no experience on the subject at hand.

Then again some think that vendors are just trying to sell products to make money so you might be right. Sell the car and save yourself the headache

I'm done with this thread. I'm pretty sure the OP is also, but just in case - I apologize the the OP for what I might have done to get your thread to the off-topic disaster it has become.

To Ttype6, all I have to say is that when you start throwing comments out like this:
Why do you recommend the DW? Because you sell it. You'll defend it until gasoline is coming out the crankcase vents,then you'll advertise that it comes with a waterfall attachment at no extra charge. It's human nature.
aimed directly at Nick, you're going to catch flack. Nick's pretty respected on the board as having good integrity and being fair and honest with not only the people who pay him, but also the people who DON'T pay him and are just looking for advice.

I think that Nick honestly believes the DW pump is a good product for anyone he recommends it to. If (and I stress "if") the increased return flow were enough of an issue to cause major problems, I think Nick would let folks know about it. I don't know Nick from Adam; never met him; only dealt with him on the board. I've never bought anything from him....yet. However, if and when I do, I'm sure he'll shoot straight with me, just as he has done with countless others...whether they are members of turbobuick.com or not.

All I'm saying is watch what you say about some of the most highly respected vendors and people on the board unless you're looking to make some enemies.

UNsubscribed!!!

Dan, I agree with you 100%

I'm done with this thread.

However i will be waiting for the next one :D

The first public comment on too much pressure with a DW pump was from Eric at Turbo Tweak. Shortly after his post we met in NC in May, 2011 at Richard Clark's event.

The 3 of us had a discussion about this issue, and RC showed us different stock return lines and how much the opening can vary in size. In the testing RC did with the DW pump, it provided great results and proper pressure if the return lines/fittings are not on the small side of the tolerance.

This is how long,before this post was started,Nick new of this problem. This is a quote from Nick. He said it.

just because he has a T66 and is looking at E85 possibly down the road doesn't mean he will be at the limit of a single pump.

A t66 will support 750HP. He wants to run 10.50s. He's at the upper limit of the single pump now. He will switch to E85,and when he does,he'll never go back to gasoline. A single,in tank pump,won't supply enough fuel.

Should we also bring up that reds pump, is not built to handle E85.

Every in tank fuel pump,used in the turbo Buick community is built to handle E85.

Im also pointing out that talking about fuel heating is a bunch of BS for our TR as this has never become a issue before and you must agree because you don't want to talk about it anymore.

Running a primary or single pump,that flows more volume,heats the fuel up more. If you don't mind this,buy a larger pump. If you are considering a larger pump and didn't know about this fact,you will if you read this. If you don't like the idea of performing an up grade that heats the fuel more,don't buy the pump.

Read an article years ago where Smokey Yunick did some testing and found that heated fuel provided better performance. He then built an engine that ran on fuel that was vaporized before entering the engine. Cool cans were more for preventing vapor lock than any real performance. Heated fuel isn't a problem on a fuel injected vehicle.

I hate to add giberish to a topic I know nothing about, but can someone who was at Richard's place just tell us what the return line measurement should be that would allow proper fuel flow so we don't have to mod it? Maybe then we would know if we should (A) buy the DW and mod the line if necessary or (B) buy something else if we know the line is already on the low side of tolerance. BTW I know this has been discussed, but I bought Red's XP pump and it looks like he scratched off the W (for Walbro) Can someone tell us how to modify a Walbro like Red does? Do you think it makes the pump last longer? Sorry to get off topic.

I hate to add giberish to a topic I know nothing about, but can someone who was at Richard's place just tell us what the return line measurement should be that would allow proper fuel flow so we don't have to mod it?

To find out if your return line might be a problem,you'll have to remove the line from the regulator and disconnect it from the line that exits at the front of the frame by the power steering box. If you do this,you've done most of the work required to modify it. The only thing left to do is to drill out the Saginw fittings at each end of the removed line.

Wow, excellent feedback! It seems I might end up changing out the return line based on the DW, Aero-Stealth, or Walbro 400 pumps. The DW pump does look good indeed, but further investigation also includes the Stealth and Walbro 400 pumps. I know that 30 psi would be the max boost used, so a pump that delivers the most flow at the lowest draw at 70psi would be the pump I would like to get. I could use some help here. Thanks.

Wow, excellent feedback! It seems I might end up changing out the return line based on the DW, Aero-Stealth, or Walbro 400 pumps. The DW pump does look good indeed, but further investigation also includes the Stealth and Walbro 400 pumps. I know that 30 psi would be the max boost used, so a pump that delivers the most flow at the lowest draw at 70psi would be the pump I would like to get. I could use some help here. Thanks.

Do any of these pumps claim to support a motor that's making 1,000 hp on gasoline?

Do you know anyone or have you heard of anyone who,while in the middle of a quarter mile pass,has had there single pump turn off like a light switch. No.
Yes, ME! at the 1000 ft mark pump died suddenly.
What happens,in reality,is that the pump gets less efficient and the WOT fuel pressure starts to fall over time. If you monitor well,you catch it. If you don't it can bite you.
What happens,in reality,is that the number one piston explodes and causes your whole engine to self destruct because you trusted a product that was 3 months old, purchased based on its performance advertisments as well as previous products made by a company known for its quality. I am refering to the Walbro recall F20000169 pump fiasco that caused nightmares across the car world.
This event moved me to used the Denso Supra pump and happy with the results ever since. I am looking at the DW since my Denso is older now and a 3 yr warranty looks attractive, but one thing I know for sure I will NEVER purchase another Walbro product and RECOMMEND no one else does either.