I might need a fuel pump. Which to get?

SpeeednV6

My Walbro mght be out. Which pump to get now? I want to stay with a single pump. I am getting a RJC F/M. My goals are 10.5 in the 1/4. I have a TE-66 big shaft turbo. I might get Alchy soon and E-85 conversion sometime later. Please chime in. I know of the Supra, Stealth, Bosch 044, and Deutche? pumps.

Out of curiosity...do you have to upgrade the OE return line if you install anything larger than a 255 lph pump? I thought I read that somewhere.

i've been using a Red Armstrong XP for about 4 years without problem...plenty for your goals with alky.....

^ @ DMM, no. I had to readjust my FP. I wish I could have got lucky with Walbro. Shame on Walbro the first time, shame on me the second. There will be no third time.:confused:

I've been using the DW pump on E85 since April, but I'm nowhere near the 10.5 range....I'd be nervous with a single pump at that level. I'm using stock return line and fuel pressure at idle is fine.

So no mods to fuel line with DW pump?

At least on mine it wasn't needed...but my "build" is very mild. Stock turbo, 3" DP, 83lb injectors, hotwire, LS1 Maf, Dutt Neck, etc. I'm sure someone more educated than I can chime in with thoughts that may be more pertinent to your particular build.

I might add that you may want to upgrade the rubber hoses to E85 compliant pieces while you have the tank down.

Well, since I just redid the grounds, I did notice the fuel lines are rusting out. I may end up changing them out afterall.

I installed a DW pump and I couldn't get my idle pressure below 50. After installing a new return line I was able to get it down to where it needed to be.

I had to run a bigger FPR and return line to get my Deatschwerks idle pressure down. I think every car is diffferent, dents and kinks in stock lines, voltage supply to pump, etc. I since switched to the Racetronix double pumper setup and bigger lines everywhere. Want to buy my Deatschwerks pump? I only ran it for a few months this year.

Out of curiosity...do you have to upgrade the OE return line if you install anything larger than a 255 lph pump? I thought I read that somewhere.

You won't have to change it,but you might have to modify it.
I recommend that you,at least call Red and talk to him. (440) 235-3232
I recommend his double pumper unless he has something else in the works.
You're at the upper limits of a single pump.

I had to run a bigger FPR and return line to get my Deatschwerks idle pressure down. I think every car is diffferent, dents and kinks in stock lines, voltage supply to pump, etc. I since switched to the Racetronix double pumper setup and bigger lines everywhere. Want to buy my Deatschwerks pump? I only ran it for a few months this year.

There's no need to change the lines. Red makes 1,000 hp with stock,unmodified,lines.
I recommend that you drill the four Saginaw fittings to .299" on the supply line.
Since the double pumper,never moves more fuel than the return line can handle, (because the second pump doesn't come on until the motor is ,already using a lot of the fuel that the first pump supplies) it never overpowers the return line. Because of this,there's no need to modify the return line or replace it.

The other thing I don't like about a single,larger flowing pump is that you are sending more fuel to the motor that doesn't get used,during low fuel demand,ie. idle and cruising. This means more fuel is getting heated and returned to the tank. It needlessly heats the fuel.

If you want to run the DW pump,you don't have to replace the return line or regulator. If you have a problem lowering your idle fuel pressure,you only need to drill the two Saginaw fittings on the return line to a larger diameter.

So no mods to fuel line with DW pump?

If you run E85,your motor will use 30% more fuel at idle,so you wouldn't need to modify or replace the return line.
Since you use 30% more fuel throughout the power band,this single pump will run out of steam sooner.

I always recommend a volt booster because it allows any pump to flow more and allows the ignition system to produce more energy.
The best way to supply fuel to any motor is to give it,only,the fuel it needs,when it needs it.
The way you accomplish this is with Pulse Width Modulation (computer controlled on time of the pump).
When you feed a motor this way you don't need a fuel return line.
If fuel never gets returned to the tank,the fuel in the tank doesn't get heated by the motor.

The closest thing,we have,to this is the Walbro with a volt booster.
When that isn't enough,we have the double pumper with a volt booster.

I think that the best application for the DW is as a second pump in a double pumper set-up.