I might need a fuel pump. Which to get?

Valid point concerning any Walbro. My Walbro is a F2 that was used for maybe a few thousand miles, no track time, and sat for 5 years. It was always hot-wired. The DW does do better with increased voltage, however, the max voltage I get with the hot-wire and newer Impala SS 140A alternator is 14.4 WOT on Scanmaster. There is no one around me to tinker with the alternator for increasing voltage output.

Yes, ME! at the 1000 ft mark pump died suddenly.

What happens,in reality,is that the number one piston explodes and causes your whole engine to self destruct because you trusted a product that was 3 months old, purchased based on its performance advertisments as well as previous products made by a company known for its quality. I am refering to the Walbro recall F20000169 pump fiasco that caused nightmares across the car world.
This event moved me to used the Denso Supra pump and happy with the results ever since. I am looking at the DW since my Denso is older now and a 3 yr warranty looks attractive, but one thing I know for sure I will NEVER purchase another Walbro product and RECOMMEND no one else does either.

So you're the one. The offered theory was that the hobbs switch would fail to turn the second pump on. Is this what happened to you. If the pump itself failed,I would add that Red doesn't use these pumps in his double pumper setup.

It had a single pump set up, as the car was a high 11's low 12s car, well within its limits with a single pump.

Valid point concerning any Walbro.

We can't tell what point you're referring to because you didn't quote.

There is no one around me to tinker with the alternator for increasing voltage output.

Your signature shows that you have Red's volt booster. It allows your generator to put out it's maximum voltage. There's no way to get it to put out any more. The only way to supply more voltage to the pump is to use a product like the Kenne-Bell Boost-A-Pump. It would only be good for one more volt and would take some power away from the motor.

We can't tell what point you're referring to because you didn't quote.

Your signature shows that you have Red's volt booster. It allows your generator to put out it's maximum voltage. There's no way to get it to put out any more. The only way to supply more voltage to the pump is to use a product like the Kenne-Bell Boost-A-Pump. It would only be good for one more volt and would take some power away from the motor.

I know our cars are old but a "generator"o_O
I run a DW pump with BAP set at mid point setting and IDC stays at 79-80 with 80# injectors and single line methanol for cooling. Stock lines have been reworked and there are no pressure problems at idle. Car runs 10.30's at 132 and set up should be good for 10.0's with better tune, improved launch and about 200# weight loss. I expect DW pump will deliver adequate fuel flow but would add other alky line for backup if necessary.

Was sure surprised when I received DW pump. Figured it was made in Europe and had a good laugh when I saw their address on the box and it was about 15 miles from my house.

I run a DW pump with BAP set at mid point setting and IDC stays at 79-80 with 80# injectors and single line methanol for cooling. Stock lines have been reworked and there are no pressure problems at idle. Car runs 10.30's at 132 and set up should be good for 10.0's with better tune, improved launch and about 200# weight loss. I expect DW pump will deliver adequate fuel flow but would add other alky line for backup if necessary.

Was sure surprised when I received DW pump. Figured it was made in Europe and had a good laugh when I saw their address on the box and it was about 15 miles from my house.

Same here bud!
DW pump,stock lines front to back (do have champion fuel rails)
voltbooster
10.57@129
67-65 turbo 4in in 3 out
83lb injectors
d/c 74% @26lbs of boost
Idles all day long no fuel line mods needed
THIS IS FACT READ data!
DW pump.jpg

The part that you and so many people refer to as a alternator is in fact a power generator or generator.The generators,that most automobiles in the 1950s had,ran on Direct Current or DC current. They where Direct Current generators or DC generators. They were called generators. The DC generator produced less power at an idle,which caused the headlights to dim and other assessors to receive less voltage.

By the 1960s all cars used Alternating Current Generators or AC generators. The DC current of the car's electrical system is converted,by the rectifier inside the generator,to Alternating Current or AC current. This is the kind of current your hose runs on. It generates good power from idle on up.

The DC generator wasn't referred to as a DC generator until after the use of the AC generator became the norm.
Play station 1 wasn't referred to as Play station 1 until play station 2 was put on the market.

If you go to a dealership and look up the part we are talking about,you'll find that GM calls it a generator. Again, it's an AC generator.

It's interesting that you would make fun of me for calling it what it is and I never make fun of all of the people who incorrectly call it an alternator.:oops:

You say tomato, i say tomato!! Why would anybody call a generator an alternator?? Does it alternate?? My goodness.

The part that you and so many people refer to as a alternator is in fact a power generator or generator.The generators,that most automobiles in the 1950s had,ran on Direct Current or DC current. They where Direct Current generators or DC generators. They were called generators. The DC generator produced less power at an idle,which caused the headlights to dim and other assessors to receive less voltage.

By the 1960s all cars used Alternating Current Generators or AC generators. The DC current of the car's electrical system is converted,by the rectifier inside the generator,to Alternating Current or AC current. This is the kind of current your hose runs on. It generates good power from idle on up.

The DC generator wasn't referred to as a DC generator until after the use of the AC generator became the norm.
Play station 1 wasn't referred to as Play station 1 until play station 2 was put on the market.

If you go to a dealership and look up the part we are talking about,you'll find that GM calls it a generator. Again, it's an AC generator.

It's interesting that you would make fun of me for calling it what it is and I never make fun of all of the people who incorrectly call it an alternator.:oops:

Went to the internet and checked a few of the major part suppliers, Jegs and Summit Racing, and put "alternator" in their search box and I saw alternators on many pages. Put in "generator" and got pages of alternators. I also googled generators and went through several pages of power generators but none were automotive generators.

I meant to kid you not offend you.

Same here bud!
voltbooster
10.57@129
67-65 turbo 4in in 3 out
83lb injectors
d/c 74% @26lbs of boost
THIS IS FACT READ data!View attachment 166801

I use an SD chip by TT and I've never read an XFI file so I can't comment on the data.

I run about the same boost level but run a JB 6265 with an "S" cover. On the run quoted, 60' of 1.59 was .11 slower than the previous run and also broke 3 teeth on the ring gear on the last run. Having rear end components beefed up and going to after market control arms.

Went to the internet and checked a few of the major part suppliers, Jegs and Summit Racing, and put "alternator" in their search box and I saw alternators on many pages. Put in "generator" and got pages of alternators. I also googled generators and went through several pages of power generators but none were automotive generators.

I meant to kid you not offend you.

Most of the world calls it an alternator. Gm doesn't

Same here bud!
voltbooster
10.57@129
67-65 turbo 4in in 3 out
83lb injectors
d/c 74% @26lbs of boost
THIS IS FACT READ data!

Thanks for posting the graph northerngn...I feel better about going with the DW for my car!

I didn't explain this correctly.

The old generators that were in automobiles, until 1959,DID create Alternating Current as do the generators we call alternators today. That's the part I got wrong. The older generators converted the AC current to DC current by means of a device called a commutator. In 1959 Chrysler introduced a generator that converted the AC current to DC current via a new devise called a Diode Bridge or Bridge Rectifier.

In order to distinguish there generator from the other generators,that the other automobile manufacturers were using,they coined the phrase by misusing the word "Alternator",a term that comes from the early days of electricity that was and is still the term used to describe an AC generator that produces and puts out AC current. If Chrysler wanted to come up with a name to distinguish there new method of converting AC to DC,they should have come up with a word that played off of bridge rectifier. They stole a name that meant something else. Homosexuals did this with the word gay.

The reason an AC generator is called an Alternator is to distinguish it from it's predecessor,the DC generator. Both are generators. So,the word Alternator is an electrical term. It's just not the correct term to use when referring to an automotive generator (DC generator). While an automotive generator produces AC current (they always have),it puts out DC current.

Knowing these facts,we can all see that no other automobile manufacturer would ever refer to there generator as an Alternator. No other facial tissue manufacturer would refer to there facial tissue as Kleenex. No other polyester body filler manufacturer would refer to there polyester body filler as Bondo. Of course,this isn't exactly the same thing,but you know what I mean.

Here's an interesting article that I think you'll enjoy.

http://firechief.com/equipment-amp-components/whats-name

Here's a decent explanation.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/AlternatorGeneratorTheory.htm

Arguing semantics isn't all that much fun. :oops:

Guessing whether or not you will have to modify the fuel return lines isn't either. :p

I like your comment about guessing,but I'm not arguing semantics. I'm stating the facts. Many will find the history of how the word Alternator is misused,in the automotive application, interesting. It's the only application,on the planet,where a DC Generator is called an Alternator. If you use it in any other industry,it is called a Generator or DC Generator. Before 1959 and Chrysler it was called a Generator. In 1959 Chrysler engineers took a DC Generator or Generator (all DC Generators were called Generators before the invention of the AC Generator in the 1800s or Alternator) and changed the method of converting the AC current it produced (all DC generators or generators produced AC current before this time,after this time and to this day) into DC current. It still put out DC current. That hadn't changed. That's what makes it a Generator or DC Generator.

The link you provided explains the theory and operation of the automotive Generator before Chrysler's version and after. It incorrectly refers to the automotive Generator,that converts the AC current to DC current via a diode bridge,as an Alternator. There misuse of the word doesn't make it correct. My point is that it is misused. Showing an example where it's misused doesn't prove that it isn't misused.

The link I provided,in my post,explains where the incorrect use of the word Alternator originated from. Chrysler 1959.

I was ribbed for calling a DC Generator a Generator. That's what it is and all it's ever been and will continue to be. The reason I was made fun of is because that person thought that cars,much older than our Regals had Generators and our cars came from the factory with Alternators. That's not true. In fact,in 1959 Chrysler was the only company in the automobile industry that referred to a DC Generator as an Alternator. All of the other companies called it the same thing it was called since its conception,a Generator. I also explained that the microfish at the dealership I frequent refers to the devise as a generator. Of course they do,they still,in 1987 didn't use Chrysler's sales terminology. I know that almost everyone else calls it an Alternator. That doesn't make them right. I know what it is and don't make fun of people who call it an Alternator.

There are only two correct words you can use to describe a DC Generator. They are Generator or DC Generator.
There are only three words you can use to correctly refer to an AC Generator. They are Generator,AC Generator,or Alternator.
The devise on an automobile that produces the power to charge the battery and run the car is a DC Generator.
The only word that describes them both is Generator.

Please take the time to read this it's interesting history.
http://firechief.com/equipment-amp-components/whats-name