I have no oil pressure

Yes I dropped oil pan and inspected pickup and cleaned and replaced wit new gasket I think the cover is stock it appear to be how can I tell if ain't stock or Chinese but I blowed thru the block wit air and didn't seem to be any blockage gear don't seem to be slipping put in a vice and I couldn't turn the gear and

Yes I am trying to keep up wit all the comments from the different people and try everything sorry to anyone that I didn't respond to that took the time to try to help me just hard trying to keep up wit everyone comments thanks again everyone and I am trying everything and is trying to keep everyone posted on progress

I can only speak from my own experiences and tidbits I've picked up, and there are certainly others who have a lot more of both. It's starting to look to me like a Locked Room Mystery. Whatever and wherever the problem is, I don't see how it got there. But by now I really want to know.

What I don't want to say is, at this point I'd be looking at taking the motor completely apart and inspecting everything. I don't want to say that because there's probably something simpler that escapes my feeble little brain circuits.

That adapter you made, was the distributor from a Buick or a Chevy? With the Chevy the fit is slightly smaller, and you have to file it out a little or it won't lock on. But I assume you knew that and that's why you couldn't find an adapter, since the Chevy adapter is everywhere but Buick is harder to find. So just double checking.

It is either obstructed, sucking air, or the cover is worn completely out. PERIOD. There are not any other options. At least in my feeble mind anyway. That is the only way it could not have any oil getting into the pump cavity.

Autozone has the oil priming tool in there loan-a-tool program. You basically pay for it and when you return it they give all your money back to you,so it doesn't cost anything when your done using it.

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/oil-pump-primer/oem-gm-v6-v8-oil-pump-primer/534529_0_0/
Have you actually used that tool on a Buick V6? If it works, it must be a loose fit on Chevy. Read the comments down that page, in particular the last sentence: "supposedly it works good on small block chevys."

I bought a tool for SBC just like that one, and like I said, I had to file it out to get it to fit. There is a tool that fits, but it's harder to find.

Last edited:
Have you actually used this tool on a Buick V6? If it works for our motors it must be a loose fit on Chevy. Read the comments down that page, in particular the last sentence: "supposedly it works good on small block chevys."
I used one for Chevy on my Buick. Seems like something about it was a little aggravating, but it did work.

Yes that is the one i bought more than 12 years ago. It was a tool i felt i needed to have in my tool box for convenience at the time for working on my Turbo Regal.

Yes that is the one i bought more than 12 years ago. It was a tool i felt i needed to have in my tool box for convenience at the time.

What you really need is someone that knows what they're doing to help you or pay a real mechanic.

The oiling system on a buick isn't the place to be clueless.

I'm not bashing you, just trying to help you save the motor if it's not already toasted.

The other alternative is to buy a new cover already set up like suggested by a few earlier.

I had similar issues with the 86 we pulled out of storage after a few years. Ended up with a SBC oil priming tool as mentioned in the thread, didn't know a Buick one would be easier, this one is kind of a finiky POS but I didn't have to mod mine to make it work? You will know when you have the key right for sure

can you get pics of the gears,pump cavity,etc? are you sure the priming tool is engaging the pump shaft?

Try this it won't take but a minute.

Take a long flat tip screwdriver and insert it in the slot of the oil pump shaft and see if you can turn it. If it turns take note of the position of the slot and insert your priming tool and spin it with the drill, then remove the drill and priming tool and see what the position of the slot is in, this will at least tell you if the shaft is being turned while priming.

Yes, but the gears rotate perpendicular to the ports, sweeping under the ports where they enter and leave at the top of the cavity. So if the gears rotated the opposite way, each gear would still sweep under the same port to the same effect.
Is there any way to make this post go away? :D

I'd like to claim I wasn't entirely serious, but I think at the time I mostly was.