I have no oil pressure

Thanks for the advice and knowledge I thrower the town in for today will be back at in the a.m so once I get oil pressure how do I put it back in time and does it matter bout the timing if I have a turbo tweak chip in the car I didn't install the chip it was in there when I bought the car

Usually a few questions will come up on here in this situation:
How many miles on the car
Has engine been rebuilt
If rebuilt, how many miles on it since then
What did the oil look like when you drained it.
The oiling system on these engines suck as is, and changing the oil pump gears is more complicated than just putting the gears in. Usually the pump cover is worn from the steel gears rubbing on it, and needs to be addressed. The more info the better, but I wouldn't even attempt to start the car without knowing it has oil pressure and all the rockers have oil flowing over them. That would be a REAL quick way to take out a flat tappet cam in a hurry, along with bearings and your turbo. Might want to ask for help also in the regional section down on the bottom of the forums. Theres probably someone local to you that is knowledgable and willing to help out for a beer or 6..

Good luck man.

Clockwise like said, but you also have to repack the pump since you have nothing in there now and it will be futile to try without doing so.

Pack it real good and spin the shaft clockwise and if all else is fine you should feel the drill drag within 10/15 seconds max.

If not you will have to drop the pan and look for issues in there if you know the O/P is good.

Your original description of the problem reminds me of a guy who had a loose oil pickup that would suck air and still work. It would have low oil pressure but not totally lose it.

When he brought it over I could actually hear a gurgling coming from the oil pan. We dropped the pan only to find the two bolts had somehow loosened up enough to suck air at the block/pickup mating surface.

Last edited:
Good thinking on the oil pickup. I took a long block apart that had silicon sealing it, and the silicon was falling apart! lol

RTV/silicone has killed many an engine.

That stuff has no business on an oil pick up tube and many other places that people use it.

It will clog a pick up screen in no time if used in the wrong places and or slathered on like Tammy Fayes makeup.

That's why I drilled my pickup bolts for safety wire.

If you spun the pump CCW, you made sure it's not primed. Running the pump backwards will shoot air right back into the pan.

If you still have an oil cooler, priming the pump is easy. First fill up the filter with as much oil as it'll take, then put it back on the car.

Next pop the oil line off the radiator and get a plastic bag. Poke the line into the bottom corner of the bag then go around that connection with a few loops of electrical tape. Pour some oil in the bag and seal it up. Oil will run down the line and fill the pump cavity.

Reconnect the line and put your drill motor on CW and spin it. You'll know if it's primed because it'll try and spin out of your hands.

Once you feel good about that, put the #1 on 27* ATDC compression and set the cam sensor.

That will work on a mechanically sound engine. I really don't have a good feeling about your car as you never identified the reason you lost pressure in the first place.

As of right now it sounds like all you did was take out a good set of gears and replace them with another set of gears.

This is what happen the oil light came on like two times a week apart was driving parked got back in cranked it and oil light on so I shut the engine down Crunk it it went out ok so did that both times oil light went out continue to drive week later oil light this time it hasn't gone out so I drop the pan remove pick up remove front cover and remove oil pump and spring replaced both pump and spring cleaned very well with brake cleaner and then air blowed it dry and also did the pick the same and replaced wit new gasket no silicone tighten bolts put it all back together didn't pack wit grease at first no oil pressure took apart again packed wit grease tryed priming and nothing went both counter and clockwise don't remember which way first so took apart after reading and packed again and try ed again nothing quit for today will take pan back off tomorrow and oil pump and repack and reprime clockwise

I'm 100% positive that it's CLOCKWISE. (Just checked a doc.)
But it shouldn't matter, it should pump the same either direction. If you look at the gears they have no direction, and the drive gear turns the other gear the opposite way.

This is what happen the oil light came on like two times a week apart was driving parked got back in cranked it and oil light on so I shut the engine down Crunk it it went out ok so did that both times oil light went out continue to drive week later oil light this time it hasn't gone out so I drop the pan remove pick up remove front cover and remove oil pump and spring replaced both pump and spring cleaned very well with brake cleaner and then air blowed it dry and also did the pick the same and replaced wit new gasket no silicone tighten bolts put it all back together didn't pack wit grease at first no oil pressure took apart again packed wit grease tryed priming and nothing went both counter and clockwise don't remember which way first so took apart after reading and packed again and try ed again nothing quit for today will take pan back off tomorrow and oil pump and repack and reprime clockwise
Have you checked the pressure switch that screws into the side of the block above the oil pump? Sounds like it might have gone flaky.

Well no I didn't but the valves rattle when cranked so I figured it was something else will check well replace it tomorrow

Yeah, the valves will rattle pretty loud sometimes for a couple of seconds after the motor has started running. It can take that bit for the lifters to fill with oil, even with the motor revving high to warm up.

Yeah, the valves will rattle pretty loud sometimes for a couple of seconds after the motor has started running. It can take that bit for the lifters to fill with oil, even with the motor revving high to warm up.
No disrespect, but the advice Earl gave this man is probably the best advice someone can give on oil pumps and covers. If you don't know Earl, he is the man when it comes to oiling.
Also, if the engine is properly primed, you should not get lifter chatter even revving high...that will kill a cam lobe really quick dude. Thats like leaving the oil filter dry after a change and letting the oil pump fill it while the engine runs dry for a few seconds. So much damage can happen just that fast. Don't do it.

Honestly this is my first experience with one of these cars and I'm learning and I'm open to all knowledge to help repair my car I have took no comment for granted and have took them all in my baseline of repairing hooefully tomorrow will yield some oil pressure the on to the next task the timing issues cause I am completely lost like have no clue what to do been hearing different responses but don't really throughly understand them so hopefully get oil pressure and take on the task of getting the timing set so I can move forward wit it

Hopefully you haven't already smoked the engine. When the lifters rattle that means there's no pressure in the engine to keep the lash taken up.

The rattly lifters are a mere annoyance, but no oil on the rod and mains is not good.

In this case using your oil idiot light is a good indicator for testing. It goes out at 4PSI. (yes, 4!).

That's why I'd like to know why you got the oil light in the first place. Somethings up, and it's hard to think of anything easily fixable that can cause such a thing.

He hasn't mentioned valve noise while starting or driving, while the light was going out. I assume he meant after taking the pump apart, while trying to prime the block.

When I did that it took I think like two and a half minutes to get even a trickle of oil to start coming out at the rockers.

Maybe I should have stated a bit more clearly that that's what I was talking about.

If the idiot light is going out inconsistently the way he described, the first thing you check is the oil pressure switch.

He said he didn't see any oil pressure while cranking, after putting the pump together. When was the last time anyone saw any pressure while cranking?

Last edited: