I have a story you will never believe

So I loaded it up and took it to my buddy's shop. We got it inside where it's dry and started a list of to do's. First things first.

Ignition switch and maybe a steering column. I really don't want to replace it being it's factory to this car. But they really destroyed the collar for the switch.. I am so mad that theives can cause so much damage to a prfect car.

anyway here is a pick of it on my flatbed going for it's second ride in 17yrs... I will take pics of the column so you guy's can give me some advice.

Oh and I don't know what to do with the wheels. They are pretty much toast. rusted the chrome plating right off of three of them.. anyone have a decent set.. I don't have much cash at the moment and hope to have the correct wheels on this car.

gnshop.jpg

When you posted earlier I didn't realize that the car was stolen. So did the thieves actually start the car and drive it with 17 yo gas and oil? I guessing they did and that’s why it was blocking the road. Which also makes me believe it was blocking the road not by their choice but by the car’s choice.

I’m just hoping you’re not looking at having to pull the engine and do a rebuild.

Nope. These guy's were real idiots. The couldn't get the ignition bashed out enough to get it to turn. they broke the lock pin in the steering somehow or something. They yanked on the shifter hard enough to get it into reverse. and PUSHED it out of the garage by hand then PUSHED it 5 blocks by hand when the PO PO rolled up on em.

Frikkin rejects. But lucky for us.

Oh and it has a factory theft system so dont think it woulda strated anyway

Wow, this story gets stranger as it goes. They pushed it 5 blocks! Talk about determined:eek: That's good news, but I'm not sure what happens to the tranny when you do stuff like that.

Wow dude.....that is AWESOME. I only wish there were more people in the world like you. Things would go MUCH smoother on a daily basis. Its not often you see someone helping out like that anymore.

My original wheels had been sitting in a shed which fell apart around them so they were outside green and rusted..Heres what you do take a brillo pad to them not just steel wool the kind with the soap in it fter that use never dull to bring the shine back..youll be suprised how much chrome is still under the rust..Take your time and you may be able to save them at least to the point of them being decent driver wheels...Welcome to the darkside and its good to see there are still people like you in the world....

Wheels for a good guy

I will donate a set of GN wheels to your project. They're not show but decent drivers. Only hitch is you'd have to pick them up - I'm in Portland. I'll hang on to them until Turbo Thunder at Woodburn July 23-24 if you want to come down for that.

Holy cow really?

I will donate a set of GN wheels to your project. They're not show but decent drivers. Only hitch is you'd have to pick them up - I'm in Portland. I'll hang on to them until Turbo Thunder at Woodburn July 23-24 if you want to come down for that.

Ok so I have no clue as what to say at this point really. Except THANK YOU. I will be figuring out a way to get them. I have a friend who sells tow trucks down there at fleet sales west. he live north of me so comes this way often.

How would you like me to contact you? Oh boy Mr. Simmermacher will be so happy. I talked with him this morning and explained that the wheels would need to be re chromed and I didn't have the money for that. I said I was going to just find a set of old wheels that would work for now. He was kind of dissapointed that the GN wheels were too far gone for me to save as they are.

He will just be freaking out I cant believe how nice everyone has been. My buddy with the shop is donating the space and time of his mechanics. You guy's are just too awesome too. Everyone has been so nice. Thank You

So last night Guy my pal at the shop pulled the ign. switch. They all think that the column is done for. I have another friend who says the thing can be removed and rebuild. so at the moment I am not sure where to go from here. But now we can atleast get the ignition to turn on. Which we have not done with power so as not to suck old fuel into the fuel pump and injectors...

538842581_1905594627_0.jpg

538842339_1905593727_0.jpg

So I spent a few hours with the car today. I asked the guy's where I should start due to the fact they have cars on all of the lifts. I wanted to do something. But like I said I'm no mechanic so I has to be simple tasks that if I screw up I don't cost us any money... They were all laughing at me... But all in good fun.

So I started by jacking up the rear of the car and getting the drums off. Brakes are about 75% life left. The springs still have paint on them.. inside the drums. I'm not sure what signifigance this is but it sure made the boys happy. Here is one shot. I thought I took a pic after we cleand them with brake clean but it's not on my phone. crap..... Wheel cyl show no sign of leakage. yet.

538841827_1905591813_0.jpg

I checked the rearend lube and man it was like brand new. No water or dirt. Clear as honey.. That made me smile because I know what that means. We spun the drivers side axle and they both turned the same way. Not sure again but they smiled... posi I have to believe.. You guys have to pardon me for not being too car smart. I am a motorcycle guy and dont really know much but I guess ima gonna learn.. This is so much fun for me..

U-Joints looked good too.

Got it off the jackstands in the rear and moved to the front.

538841284_1905589769_0.jpg

Going to check the front brakes and bearings, All of the steering linkage.
Everything looks like new up there minus the surface rust on EVERYTHING
Front brakes are at about 70% life. Bearings are tight and well greased.

538839245_1905582098_0.jpg

538840168_1905585598_0.jpg

So we put a dolly under the front so we can roll it around while the column is apart. Tomorrow hoefully they will have a free lift so I can get the fuel tank out and drained.. Anything I need to do with it? I hope it isn't rusty in there... I just want to make sure we dont miss anything. I would love to have this actually running next week.... I can't believe this has happend to me.. :)

Thanks you guys for showing so much interest in this little community service project..... Mr Simmermacher thinks July 4th would be a great day to enjoy his new found freedom and friendship.... Me too

wheels

You can send me a PM or direct email to cliffcabe@hotmail.com. Just checked on the wheels. All the chrome is very good, just need the black areas repainted. Was told one might be slightly bent but I looked them over pretty close and couldn't see anything wrong. Do you have center caps? The ones I have are pretty dull but again, could be repainted.

You can send me a PM or direct email to cliffcabe@hotmail.com. Just checked on the wheels. All the chrome is very good, just need the black areas repainted. Was told one might be slightly bent but I looked them over pretty close and couldn't see anything wrong. Do you have center caps? The ones I have are pretty dull but again, could be repainted.

Thank You. PM sent

Wow you guy's are totally awesome. The messages are pouring in for help and parts and advice and just to say high and what a great story this is. You all will add so much to it with the outpouring of support.... What a great community... I am glad its all here for me to remember by so when it's all done and said I can document everything everyone has done for Mr. Simmermacher and the car..... THANK YOU

Great story! I would like to help get this car back on the road and go on a cruise with you and Mr. Simmermacher.

For starters, I have the clear plastic that goes over the gauges and a couple of GN wheels. As for the ones from Cliff, I am going to Turbo Thunder so if you dont make it down there, I can pick them up for you as well. PM me your number and we will hook up. I may have a few other things that might help as well.

Bill

Fantastic story. Love it!

I'm in Lake Stevens, WA and go to Clearview on Saturdays once in a while for the local car gathering. Is that the place you are planning on going to? Many years ago the hang out may have been Burger King in Lynnwood but that's pretty much died down.

There's a few of us locals who can certainly help out with most anything you need. Check us out in the Pacific Northwest regional section on this site. Shoot me a PM if you would like to meet up and help out.

Take care

Sweet

Great story! I would like to help get this car back on the road and go on a cruise with you and Mr. Simmermacher.

For starters, I have the clear plastic that goes over the gauges and a couple of GN wheels. As for the ones from Cliff, I am going to Turbo Thunder so if you dont make it down there, I can pick them up for you as well. PM me your number and we will hook up. I may have a few other things that might help as well.

Bill

Another amazing person. Thanks so much.

425-355-7212 You can reach me here most days 8-5pm. If I am not here leave a message 24/7 and I will give you a ring. or stop by mon-fri 8-5 coffee is always on. downtown everett

Fantastic story. Love it!

I'm in Lake Stevens, WA and go to Clearview on Saturdays once in a while for the local car gathering. Is that the place you are planning on going to? Many years ago the hang out may have been Burger King in Lynnwood but that's pretty much died down.

There's a few of us locals who can certainly help out with most anything you need. Check us out in the Pacific Northwest regional section on this site. Shoot me a PM if you would like to meet up and help out.

Take care

And a HUGE Thank You too.... I will get in touch with you and we can chat. Or you can call when you are in everett or stop by my office. 425-355-7212 I will let all of you know when I have it back here too so ya can come take a gander. I would love to meet you all. Great bunch you guys are.

Another amazing person. Thanks so much.

425-355-7212 You can reach me here most days 8-5pm. If I am not here leave a message 24/7 and I will give you a ring. or stop by mon-fri 8-5 coffee is always on. downtown everett

Cool, I work in Everett so it will be easy for me to swing by. I will give you a call tomorrow.

Bill

Wow. What a great story! I LOVE bringing GNs back to life!

Sounds like your guys have the mechanical pretty well covered. Sometimes, these cars can be a little quirky, especially when they've been sitting for a while. If you run into anything that you need help or advice with, feel free to stop by or call us at GN Northwest (gnnorthwest.com). We'll be happy to help out where we can!

Hope to see you at Turbo Thunder!