I can say it, but can I spray it?

kgouldsk

Kevin GNCrazy
There was just a post on mixing Xylene, and I almost posted under it. But I thought this deservced a topic of its own. What experience have members had with spraying different flammables? I have an SMC kit, and I'm finding the denatured alcohol is not as easily found here in Canada as it was in the US.

Can you spray Xylene instead of mixing it? What else can you use? I tried water one time, but found it put way too much of a damper on - might work with a lower spray rate, but would have to change the jet.

What about things like camp fuel, xylene, toluene (that's an evil one to get on you, I understand), paint thinner. Where to all these stand?

Can anyone suggest some creative sources to get cheap denatured? I was getting it for $6 a gallon at a paint store that cut me a deal in KC.

If cost is an issue you could drop back and run IPA instead of denatured. Most times comes in a 70% or sometimes in a 90% if you can find it. It can also be had in almost pure form from a chem supplier. Probably loose some performance but thats the way it goes.

You don't want to run xylene, toluene or paint thinners in the SMC tank as they'll get evil w/ the tank even in the short term, those are some harsh solvents and will attack plactics and polys. Not to mention you've got it sitting most likely in a 120+ degree engine compartment unless you have it out under the bumper so even more of a hazard.

You gotta watch what you mix, when you play chemist.

Some of these chemicals are erosive, corrosive, and flat out health hazards. Not to mention explosive when just mixing them.

Searching the MSDs, Material Data Safety sheets is an easy start.

Not to mention at this stage of the game about all the tricks are out of the bag. You're just not going to stumble onto something that's really new, or different.

I'd suggest Isopropyl. Costs about $.89 a qt at Walmart. I use methanol, but my pump can handle it.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. I wasn't looking for anything new (just new to me), only experiences of what had been tried, and how successful was it. I think I'll give the isopropyl a shot.

That was with a very tired stock turbo, and I actually don't recall. My guess would be maybe 1.89ish. I run Nitto drag radials, and the day was pretty cold, so good power but not as sticky as I'd have liked. Great track condition though - that was in Noble, OK and was my first day into the 12's. I'm actually sorry I couldn't run the same combo here in Vancouver - I'd be curious what the altitude change would have done for me.