I bought the wrong turbotweak chip!!!

DNA Strand

So while I am putting the car back together I decide to measure my turbo and sure enough its smaller than what I was told it was, but you know how that goes. I thought I had a te-61, turns out I have a te-34. My chip is for a te-61, is this unsafe?

I would imagine I would be down on power a bit, but my concern is if it will harm anything. I am going to get alky later with a pre-turbo water injection so I don't want to buy a chip now, then another chip when I get the alky. Just looking for input.

What are the specs on the chip? I bet it would be fine. A little off subject by why the pre turbo water injection?

May be a little on the rich side at the target boost setting. You can lean it out if so. Try it as is first.

What are the specs on the chip? I bet it would be fine. A little off subject by why the pre turbo water injection?

I will get the specs off the chip later today. The reason I want the pre turbo water injection is to move the efficiency range of the turbo up. I am kind of disappointed that I have a te-34 instead of a te-61. I was hoping to run low 11s and try to push it into the 10s, which I think will be a problem with the smaller turbo. With a pre-turbo water injection system I can push the turbo past 30 psi and still stay within the efficiency range. Its something I am just experimenting with and I'm still learning about it. In short I don't think I can push the car into the 10s with that turbo on a conventional setup.

How did you measure it? Did you pull the housings?

I pulled off the cover and measured the wheel. I had it written down, but if my memory serves me correctly its a 56mm inducer and a 75mm exducer.

I am going to send Eric an email, I wanted to ask him about the pre-turbo water injection set up anyway.

I run alky. Can you explain what pre turbo water injection is and does on these cars? I do not think I have seen that before. Thanks.

The info for the chip is:

TT 5.6 5943
42# Street 91
19-17 degrees 15-17 psi

For a te-61 and a front mount I/C (which I have a Dutt neck SLIC now if it matters)

I run alky. Can you explain what pre turbo water injection is and does on these cars? I do not think I have seen that before. Thanks.

Its not something you see a lot of people doing, but its been around a long long time. In fact had it not been for this kind of technology we may not have won WWII. The only time I see people with pre turbo injection is when they want to make serious power. With a system like this you can ditch the I/C, though I wouldn't do it on a street car. I have read where a guy was running 40psi on his supra with a pre turbo injection where he used pure methanol. He said after a few runs on a hot day the I/C would have frost on it, but obviously you won't get that effect with just water

So here are the basics as I understand them:

I assume you know that a turbo is limited to the amount of power it can make by (lets assume you have ample fuel and spark) how much air it can EFFICIENTLY move into the engine. Once you push the turbo outside if its efficiency island it will start to push out air that is too hot to make any kind of real power, and you are doing more harm than good. A pre turbo injection (be it water, methanol, or a both) will cool the air as it is being compressed, as the air gets heated under compression the water will evaporate and cool the charge. Now instead of your turbo pushing hot air at 30-35psi and being relatively useless you can continue to efficiency make at the pressure level.

This is something I have been, and still am, researching. I am going to experiment with once I get my car back on the road. I would like to see 10s one day with the te-34 turbo, which I think will be a challenge. I was toying with the idea of an air to water I/C too, but that's something I'm not sure about yet.

Lots of work in the pre turbo setup. Alky and pump gas cars are in the 10.0's and 9's now. Alky injection should be all you need. Keep it simple. You will have lots of issues from time to time without adding more to the mix. This is my opinion and may not be others. A little larger turbo would help but it takes some serious work to get into the 10's. There are some amazing cars on this forum doing it with basic stock parts. Still it is a ton of work.

Back on topic. I would contact Eric but I still think from the chip specs it will be fine.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/al...rsonal-best-stock-longblock-alky-ta-49-a.html

The preturbo water injection has its place. But its not on the first things to get figured out. More like on the back end of things with a fully sorted out car. When you have it running mid 11's consistently.. then mess with it. It probably would be cheaper to simply sell your turbo here on the board and the money going to be spent doing the pre-turbo added to that figure and get a larger turbo.

Its the coffee straw analogy.. there is only so much air you can push through a coffee straw. Yes making the air denser will move the map on the turbo, but not that much. It also wont do any practical cooling and run the risk of turbocharger damage if droplets hit the blades. like throwing BB's into a fan when its spinning 100,000 rpms. a 1-2GPH nozzle sprays very little. Hope this helps.

NOT that I am going to do this, but what would be the effects of moving one of the alky nozzles on a dual set up to the pre-turbo location and keeping the other on the up pipe?

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/al...rsonal-best-stock-longblock-alky-ta-49-a.html

The preturbo water injection has its place. But its not on the first things to get figured out. More like on the back end of things with a fully sorted out car. When you have it running mid 11's consistently.. then mess with it. It probably would be cheaper to simply sell your turbo here on the board and the money going to be spent doing the pre-turbo added to that figure and get a larger turbo.

Its the coffee straw analogy.. there is only so much air you can push through a coffee straw. Yes making the air denser will move the map on the turbo, but not that much. It also wont do any practical cooling and run the risk of turbocharger damage if droplets hit the blades. like throwing BB's into a fan when its spinning 100,000 rpms. a 1-2GPH nozzle sprays very little. Hope this helps.

I have a larger turbo I can put on, but its a T3 flange with a V-band to the downpipe, so I would need a lot of new stuff to install it. Its a pretty good size turbo too (60mm inducer/84mm exducer) so I would need larger injectors and a high stall torque converter for sure. I figure it would cost me around $2-3,000 to put on the turbo I already own. Also I just spent over $400 to rebuild the te-34 and it has less than 200 miles on it since then. I would hate to sell it and just loose money.

My plan is to get the car running really well with ~15psi, which I figure will put me in the 12s. Then I will get the alky injection and try to push it into the mid 11s. From there I am going to start playing with a mechanical water injection before the turbo and try to push for 10s. This is down the road a ways and I may very well change my mind before then.

NOT that I am going to do this, but what would be the effects of moving one of the alky nozzles on a dual set up to the pre-turbo location and keeping the other on the up pipe?

The only benefit I see is being able to push the turbo further than you would otherwise, if you are staying within the turbos efficiency range then I wouldn't expect any significant gains. But this is something I am still learning about.

If Backpressure is good, air fuel is where it needs to be, and increasing boost doesn't make any more power THEN something like this can be considered.