Hydroboost Question

Hot Air

E85 and S.E./Carolinas Moderator
Staff member
I have installed new Lee power steering pump, remote reservoir and steering box. Installed new Baer 6 piston brakes on front and rear so virtually every connection has been opened and drained. I got hoses mixed up and fitst time I fired it up steering wheel would violently whip from side to side when I tried to move the steering wheel. Switched hoses on the box and that stopped. I also tried to install Wilwood M/C but had problems with hydroboost rod interfering with the clip that keeps piston from falling out of MC. Put original HB M/C back on. Now trying to bleed brakes and are having trouble with brake pedal. Start engine and pedal looks great at top of the travel. Push brakes down to floor but pedal won't come back up by itself. Stop engine and pedal comes back up. I must have another hose wrong. Any idea? I'm tired of messing with it!!
Conrad

This lee pwr steering pump, is it a stock replacement? I can look at mine but I used the stock 87 pump. The pump went to the hb unit and the hb unit went to the steering box. The steering box had a return to the reservoir. There is also a line from hb unit teed into the return from the steering box. Then from the reservoir to the pump to complete the loop. I can snap some pix when I get home if you need.
Are you clamping the frame brake valve? Are you keeping the brake reservoir full as you bleed?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Lee unit is a stock replacement. Master cylinder was working fine when I tore into the car last fall so I don't think it is the master cylinder. The shaft of HB was scratched in 2 places by the ears of the retainer pin on the Wilwood MC and that COULD be the problem but don't think so just yet. Will check the plumbing.
Conrad

Very little fluid is going out of the rear reservoir on the master cylinder and I have not run it dry..

You may need to flush out the lines and clean out the bleeder. On mine I took out the bleeder and flushed until the fluid coming out looked like the fluid going in. It was dirty.
You may need to "adjust" the ears on that retaining clip to prevent it from dragging.
Are you clamping the proportioning valve on the driver side frame? I didn't but have read that one needs to.
Let us know.

Here is what I did. Took master cylinder of hydroboost (left brake lines intact) and manually stroked the piston....all worked well...piston returned as it should. Then I pushed brake pedal down and rod extended (as it should) and released pedal and it returned to the up position (as it should). So, I then concluded that MC and HB were mechanically ok. Reassembled MC on HB and started the engine and had same old problem...apply brake and pedal stays on the floor. So, I concluded that I had a plumbing issue. Started tracing lines and found that I had HP line (ok) and return line (not ok) from HB plumbed into a "T" that was connected to the pressure side of the steering box and return line from remote reservoir plumbed into the return side of the steering box (ok). So, I moved the "T" to the return side of the steering box, connected the HB return line and the return line to the reservoir to it and all is well! This is what I get for being both tired and in a hurray to get on with the project. Result is that I spent days and days trying to right a wrong.

Glad you got it figured out.

Well........I'm not done! One question....does it matter which of the two pressure lines from hydroboost go to the power steering pump and which goes to the steering box? I'm not getting any brake pressure when I push down on brake pedal.

I would think it would. If you go over to ihadav8.com I have a thread of what I did. If you search up cedar crest labs here there might be some pix. I bought 84 t-type lines and hb unit. The lines kind of told me where to put them by the length and hard line at the end.

I took a look at Cedar Crest Labs and couldn't see what I needed. would someone with hydroboost please peek under your hood and tell me which hydroboost ports is connected to the power steering pump? Drivers side port or passenger side port?
Conrad

My driver side goes to pump. Pass side goes to steering box.

Are you using an aftermarket HB? I'm wanting to go this exact route with the new steering box, pump, reservoir and HB. Does the Lee PS pump rotate the correct direction for our cars? I thought Scott W had an issue with an aftermarket pump turning the wrong way. Post pics of your setup. Hope it works out!

I am using the stock 87 pump, and 84 hb and hoses.

I spent most of the day trying to swap the hoses but cannot. Fittings are different size. I have banjo fittings at the hydroboost and power steering output. Fittings at hydroboost are different sizes so cannot enchange there. The banjo fitting at the other end will not work with the steering box. Could someone with 84 or 85 Hydroboost check their hose routing from hydroboost to be sure? I would really appreciate it!

Power steering pumps. Most are standard rotation. Our turbo buicks require reverse rotation. Easiest way to tell is to look at the pulley. Standard rotation pumps have grooved pulleys for the serpentine belts. Reverse rotation pumps have smooth pulleys because the belt is arranged such that the back of the serpentine belt actually drives the pump. FWIW, pump from a Monte Carlo SS is standard rotation (V8 engine) and WILL NOT work!

Lee does make both but you have to tell them what you are putting it on!
Conrad

I posted above, My driver side goes to pump. Pass side goes to steering box.
Are you.using braided lines? I didn't think the factory replacements look too bad.

I did. It almost worked. Seems a tad small. Haven't had a chance to take it to parts houses to dee if I can find a slightly larger one. Thanks so much for sending it to me. It really helps to have one like you are looking for to show the store.
conrad

Can you just stretch it? All it does is keep the piston from popping out the back of the bore.... Worth a try...?