Hvac or electrician

nu2gn

fasteddie
Ok i have been thinking of going back to school. Working for benz has been getting more aggravating. And dealer politics are not helping either. I have been doing this for ten years. But i want to know if it worth going into hvac or electrician's field. I don't know starting salaries for either fields. But at least i can do work in the side to make extra cash. Can someone that works on these fields please chime in? I can get a job at another benz dealer but i will be the new guy and will probably get crapped on for the first couple of years

Being in Chicago you should check with a couple of locals that are in either field. The unions a strong in Chicago which could either hurt or help you depending on how many electricians are out of work up there. Here in St Louis I have heard there are 10,000 out of work, sitting on the books waiting to be called back. Anyone that losses their job right now will likely be sitting on the books for over 5 years before a callout. Most are being told to find other employment. I am a low voltage technician and make over scale even though I am not union. I havent missed a single days work in the 6 years since leaving the union after sitting on the books for 5 months. I am not rich by any means but 75k isnt too bad in this area .Good luck

Bryan

In the end, i wound up as refridgeration and hvac. Wish i would had gone electrician. My field seems to change all the time and cant stick with one thing. controls are in, then a year later there out. Boss seems to buy something different all the time and not making it any easier

In Chicago the pipefitters are about all thats busy. Most electricians I know of are still out of work, the pipefitters (LU 597) are actually taking people.

In Chicago the pipefitters are about all thats busy. Most electricians I know of are still out of work, the pipefitters (LU 597) are actually taking people.

St Louis has pipefitters sitting out of work as well as carpenters, tapers, painters. Telecommunications is good here.

Bryan

I'm a projectionist I.A.T.S.E. Local 110. I deal with anything from high end projectors to high end switching equipment. I've been really busy but we aren't taking any members in to keep all current members employed. I work closely with the electricians while doing shows at McCormick Place and they are all saying how bad it is.

I have been in HVAC for 35 years with the same company .It is tough out there right now in new construction .started at 2.75 an hr .now 6 digits a year Im in sales and design pretty much sell and project manage Design/Build open shop .the field has been good to me not always fun though

so would diploma in electronic system technician open a bigger window for telecommunications?

ANYTHING that can give you an edge in telecomm will help. If you can find a company in your area that does phone systems, card access, security systems, fire alarms, CCTV, Mag Locks/door strikes, gate entry systems, nurse call systems, wonder management, network cabling, fiber optics, etc, you will learn quite a bit. The company I work for does anything and everything low voltage so I am always doing something different.

Bryan

thank u guys for ur input. i think i have made my mind. looks like i will be going for electronic systems technician class