HVAC help. thing I have been shafted.

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
I live overseas. My manager just emailed me saying the AC is broken. A gecko got into the system and fried it. This happened almost 2 years ago. Was $700 for a new board. Think I posted this. Now he comes at me with a $4500 bill. I attached the bill I just got punched with. If I am reading this right.......did he replace 5 circuit boards. Is this even possible.....to wipe out 5 circuit boards. Have not heard back yet. big time difference. I would think the parts should be listed separately. Just a bunch of parts and one price. The system is 8yrs old. Fujitsu. Split.

Attachments

• Scan_Doc1602.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 268
If this is a ductless split you could have literally replaced it with a brand new system for that price depending on tonage and how many head units are on the system. I'm in the trade and I installed a 2 ton 23 seer Carrier heat pump ductless split in my house for $ 2500 all in. One head one condensing unit and all associated materials.

Not sure. It has a unit outside and a head unit inside. Not ducts running anywhere. It's a 1000 square foot house. Two systems. One in the bedroom and one for the living room. Am I wrong about the bill. Should parts be lumped together like that? Does it look like a lizard would blow out all those circuit boards at one time?

Spoke with the AC guy. Trying to get the whole story. He said the lizard shorted out the power board. And that killed the other 4 boards and the compressor. I am not an AC guy but that sounds fishy. Does this sound like a common problem.

For that kinda of money he should of replaced your entire system being it's 8 years old and he could literally get new equipment and replace it for what he's trying. To charge you.

It looks like he charged you for 18hrs of labor !!!! Did it really take over to days to replace those parts ?? It's tough to argue the price of parts and if they were really bad , but the charge for labor time to repair is crazy !!

I'm not an HVAC guy but I'm an appliance tech so some similar stuff. From my experience I'd say he didn't know the problem so he replaced it all. And the 18 hours labor seems insane. I'd question it for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I'm not an HVAC guy but I'm an appliance tech so some similar stuff. From my experience I'd say he didn't know the problem so he replaced it all. And the 18 hours labor seems insane. I'd question it for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Sounds right for the charges. Clueless dork replaces each piece until it starts working...

I finally got a good signal and called the AC guy(owner). So he says he is so sorry about the situation. Whatever. I am trying to give home the benefit of the doubt since i am not the expert. Just like the last time the gecko got on the power board and fried it. He began replacing each bad part till it started working. Said the labor came from having to travel to get the parts. And back and forth to his shop. Said he had to wait for parts. Had to rewire a lot. He said by the time he talked to the manager the bill was about 3k. Would it be a good idea to ask for a break down of man hours as well as parts?

No way I would accept prodding and poking around....just replacing parts till it worked. He says the gecko burned out all the circuit boards and condenser fan motor all at once.Can these circuit boards be tested on site quickly? How bout the condenser motor. And burnt out sooo much wiring. If it was a lightning strike maybe..... but a gecko?

Geckos are a real problem for any outdoor condensing unit. Everything else about your bill is shady. Also, the company that did the work does not have the best reputation.

I would have them come take there parts back and get an upgraded system. you fell victim to a tec that doesn't know what he is doing. He said he replaced the compressor? did he charge you for draining and refilling the system? It is not impossible for one board to take out multiple boards, but at that cost shit they should have talked to you about options...

i would fight it. they even admitted they just kept replacing parts until it worked. as any good business would do they should have contacted you first before running up the bill to $4500.

It just sounds way to fishy. The owner of the company should have step in at some point and questioned the tech making the repairs or at least given you a call before spending $4,500 of your money. I would question his business ethics in this situation. If it were me I would tell him to keep all his parts and replace my unit at this point. BUT then again I probably wouldn't want him touching anything else at this point.