I did a thing...

Update # 9

With just a few days left before I pack up and head to the Nats, I thought I would give an update as to what I've been up to with Legend. Bare with me as this one might get long. Here we go.

First I will list everything that I was able to get done.

- Order and install a custom car cover from Coverking. Holy cow this thing fits perfectly. No more Cover Craft junk for me.
- Installed Kirban's underhood brace kit, Front frame braces and just this past Friday, the rear seat brace kit.
- Made a custom I/O panel housing using a fried Netgear USB to Ethernet adapter cables' housing. Not bad for something that was just going to be thrown in the dumpster. Re-purposing 101.
- Installed a pressure transducer to monitor alky pressure and used a pre-made 10ft long wiring harness, cut to length.
- Installed an AEM 3.5 BAR MAP sensor and another 10ft long wiring harness, cut to length. Plumbed the vacuum line directly from an un-used port on the vacuum block and mounted it to one of the factory blower motor screws with a cushioned clamp. My thought process was to keep all of the vital vacuum lines from the intake, in a centrally located spot.
- Make a harness for all wires that run into the new I/O housing.
- Install I/O housing close to the factory MAP sensor area.
- Install a 15ft long 8 pin mini DIN cable from the new I/O housing, routed inside the cabin to the Powerlogger/ECM.
- Ordered a 90* male to female USB adapter and a short male to male USB cable. This allows me to put the laptop in the drivers seat with the cable connected to the USB port in the ashtray switch panel.
- Drain alky tank completely.
- Removed and replaced the 3 year old Alky pump with a new one from Julio. Put more split loom tubing on the wiring harness and all lines for protection against rubbing / chaffing.
- Flushed and replaced the brake fluid, following Richard Clark's step by step procedures. It was nasty and probably hasn't been done in a very long time.
- Took care of the broken power antenna and plugged the hole.
- Swapped serpentine belt to a Continental Elite Poly-V 38" belt. No more noise and the tensioner is happy.
- Installed a factory alternator tree brace that was missing. Shout out to FatNat for hooking me up.
- Change the oil with VR-1 10w-30, ZDDPlus and clean the billet filter thoroughly. I now know what my "true" hot idle oil pressure really is.
- Have new Moroso DS-2 front tires mounted and balanced on the skinnies.
- Finish polishing up the Aluma-Stars and install them with a set of new McGard open end lug nuts.
- Remove both rear seat sound deadening pads and the rear seat belts for weight saving.
- Trim some of the t-bolt clamps with a Dremel tool.
- Remove all un-necessary items from trunk and inside of car.
- Vacuum trunk and under the back seats before putting the rear seats back in. (Rear seat brace kit install)
- Install new TR Custom Parts front license plate.
- Install "Dark Gray JEDI mind trick propaganda" on the windows.
- Thoroughly wash and wax the car.
- Touch up paint certain spots.

Now for the bad.
These items on my to do list, are things I will need to do at BG. I honestly ran out of time.

- Swap plugs with a fresh set of Autolite #23's. (normal track to-do list stuff)
- Install drive shaft safety loop.
- Install trans temp gauge and manifold, run wiring into the car to the gauge.
- Install Derale trans cooler with fan, Hook the fan up with a Racetronix universal fan wiring harness.
- If needed, drop the tank and replace the Walbro 255lph pump, with a new Racetronix 340lph fuel pump. Probably won't be needed, but just in case.
- Install AEM UEGO gauge and WB O2 sensor.
- If needed, replace both lower intercooler hoses and their t-bolt clamps.
- R&R stock starter with a light weight one from DB Electric. Big weight savings item that is out of sight, out of mind to most.
- If needed, install line lock, rear x4 long brake shoes and larger 7/8" bore rear wheel cylinders. Brakes hold good now, so another just in case.

As you can see, I've made good progress. Mainly this past month as the weather finally started easing up a bit.
And with that, I will bring this update to a close. I can't wait to get to BG and see everyone. It is really hard to put into words just how good it feels to be back in the Buick game again with another car. I will be testing and tuning with mine, as I don't forsee trying to race in any class. I will also be helping Dave with his car. Stop by and see us under the big circus tent.
Thanks for following along with my antics and I hope everyone that's going to BG has a safe trip.
And lastly, some recent pics.

Old pumpView attachment 329570
Repurposed
View attachment 329571

Let the fab work commence.
View attachment 329572

View attachment 329573

View attachment 329574

View attachment 329575

View attachment 329576

View attachment 329577

View attachment 329578

See everyone at Bowling Green.

-Patrick-
Wow! Now you got the rhythm. Don't stop!

Pat, don't know if you remember me from days gone by, but your new car looks AWESOME... BTW, Rusty Vitt says hi !

Warren Pierce..

Hey Warren, how are ya?
Rusty (my Uncle ) was telling me about you last month when they came to visit. Good to hear from ya.

Thanks everyone. I've still got more to do, but the most important thing, is to have fun this week.
That being said, we are here.
Bowling Green baby!, WOOOOOOH!!!!
Let the antics begin!

Hey Warren, how are ya?
Rusty (my Uncle ) was telling me about you last month when they came to visit. Good to hear from ya.

Thanks everyone. I've still got more to do, but the most important thing, is to have fun this week.
That being said, we are here.
Bowling Green baby!, WOOOOOOH!!!!
Let the antics begin!
Enjoy yourself and be safe!

Man! I really wish I was there. I haven't been to Bowling Green since around 2002. It almost seems as if it was someone else's life and story when I think back to those days.

Update # 257,912?:)
Part 1

2018. Bowling Green KY. GS Nats.
Where do I start?
First, I want to say thank you to my good friend, Ferrell Anderson for letting me borrow his really nice 24' trailer. The absolute best car towing experience I've ever had. Thank you my friend.

As most of you know, I've been working on the car, getting it ready for the Nats since I got it back in November. What some of you newer guys might not know is, I haven't made a track pass behind the wheel of a Turbo Buick since 2007 when I had my Blue "87 T Sarah. I'm not gonna lie, there was a little anxiety. But first things first. Tuesday, I crammed everything in the truck and trunk of Legend that I could think of that I might need, or want to do while there. I wanted to be ready, but at the same time, the #1 priority was to have fun. I mean, it's been awhile since I've had any fun with a Buick at the track. The trip was uneventful with a lot of waves, thumbs up and even a horn honk from a trucker with a thumbs up. There's just something about trailering a shiny Turbo Buick to an event that brings a sense of pride. Tons of respect from people. The weather forecast was not looking too good and at one point, even looked like a wash out. They changed up the program on us this year as there was no racing on Wed, which was a huge deal for everyone. We should have been racing on Wed. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do to the car as I still had a bunch of little stuff that I could do. But in the end, I decided to just run the car as is and let the chips fall where they may. I mean, I had to get a baseline to see where I was. Track racing is so different than making water burnout hits on the streets. And at this point, I haven't even done that. I had decided earlier in the year to just save the transmission for Bowling Green and if it went, well at least it would break at the Nats. So after thinking things over, I just decided to swap plugs and go over everything under hood and start from scratch. I was able to pick up a few good deals. Namely, some replacement NIB head light bezels from Paul. Those really improved the look and yes I know, they're Goodmark, not OEM GM. IMO, they are the best bang for the buck going and the fit and finish are nice.

IMG_20181024_135954538.jpg

IMG_20181024_140019529.jpg

IMG_20181024_140005743.jpg

So Thursday comes along and I've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. Topped off the alky tank, tire pressures set, had to air up the fronts to 40psi as they only had 25psi from the tire store. Sigh... Put the air bag pressures on 26psi pass side and 6 psi drivers side. Rear tire pressure at 11psi cold. (what I've always run in the past on bias ply tires) Racing started right around 9 and I decided that I wanted to wait till at least 10, so that there would be some good rubber on the track with maybe some heat, as the temps were chilly. I had a few butterflies, but as soon as I put on my racing jacket and got buckled in, it all went away. I was home again. It's hard to describe the peaceful feeling of doing something so familiar that you've done for some many years, but not for a long time, without sounding corny. LOL No matter what, I was there to have fun. Whether the car ran good, or broke the first pass, I was determined to make the best of this trip. So after a quick prayer, I fired him up and headed to the lanes. Before I left, I had set the boost on 25psi. The tune was dead nuts nice, but I knew the trans was not going to last long. I felt like it might have about 5-7 good passes left before the dreaded 2-3 shift flair showed up. And with this cold air, I fully expected the car to make at least 1 more psi. Now, up to this point, I haven't even done a water burnout with the car yet. I mean, I have had one street encounter, but that was on the drag radials and it would not spin at all when I tried. And an 8psi launch on a cold street hooked hard. Ok, back to this past Thursday. Temps are up, I pull the shifter down to D, roll into the burnout box and proceed to do a sweet 1st burnout on these bias ply ET Street R's. Everything felt familiar and right.... Right up to the point of stagging and quickly discovering... just as I had predicted mind you.... that I did not have enough braking power for the high boost launch that I'd planned on. I let the tree come down and take my time spooling. As the boost is coming up to right at 4psi, the brakes said "Nope, we're done" and starts pushing through the lights. I let go of the brakes and stay in it. It was a pathetic launch and a rather sad first pass. Even though the tune was right, zero knock and 26psi of boost showed on the gauge going through the traps, I knew it was going to be bad. I begrudgingly picked up my slip at the scales and read the results.

Yep, just like I thought. Sad.... Just sad...
Car #7034

IMG_20181025_202804048.jpg

(Insert huge sigh of disappointment here)
UUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

So back to the pits we go. He's running just fine, no issues, but I know I either need to tear into the brakes as quickly as possible, easily eating up 2 hours of probably our only test and tune day due to the rain that's coming, or pull out one of my old school JEDI tricks. I thought about it for a few minutes, walked over to GNS's tent and bought one of Scott's frigging SWEET line lock kits and made a tough Executive Decision. I was here to have fun, not to thrash on the car getting filthy. That's never fun. In the back of my mind before I even left for Bowling Green, I had one goal that I wanted to accomplish with LEGEND. And that goal was to run a 10.99. And after this first miserable pass, I knew I was going to have to perform a miracle with the car and fast.

Disclaimer:
What I'm about to tell you guys, is not something that I recommend, as it really is a last ditch effort, old school JEDI trick. If done repeatedly, it can cause damage. So seriously kids, don't try this at home.

Now that that's out of the way, let's do this!
I grab my green tote and my tool box. And only get two items. The bag of long zipties and a pair of side cutters.
OHHH BOY! SH!%'S ABOUT TO GET SERIOUS! HERE WE GO!!!!

I wrap one around the e-brake release handle making a small loop. Then take another and make an even longer loop. And finally a 3rd ziptie and adjust it so that it's exactly beside the steering wheel, easily pulled when ready to launch. When not in use, simply loop it over the turn signal stalk.

IMG_20181027_110943888.jpg

IMG_20181027_110923078.jpg

This is a very old school trick for launching with a lot of boost. And with a combo like mine and at the weight it is with me driving, it must be done in order to get the ET's to drop. 4-8 psi launches won't cut it when you don't have a lot of power to work with. You need EXTREME 12-15psi launches to get the car to kick ass. After I have the initial loops made, I get suited up, belted in, helmet on and simulate the "Don't try this at home" routine of E-brake launches. After I get the zipties set, I clip the excess. Anywho, here's how this works, the instruction manual if you will. You tilt the steering wheel just one notch higher than you normally would when driving, so that you have room to hike your leg/knee high enough to quickly jam on the e-brake when you light both bulbs. You want the ziptie loop/handle, IE your new "poor mans trans brake" handle to be easily accessible and in your hand, ready to use after you set the e-brake. Light the bulbs, right foot on the brake, hike your leg/knee up and jam on the e-brake. Do the G-body feet shuffle of moving your right foot off the brake, over to the gas, while moving your left foot off the e-brake onto the normal brake pedal..... start building boost while watching the boost gauge.... and when you see the number you want, at the exact same time, smash the gas through the floor board, pull the e-brake ziptie handle, release the brake pedal and hold on tight because all HELL is about to break loose. Seriously.
And perfecting this while racing on a Pro tree, is almost damn near impossible.

So... Now that that JEDI secret is out, here's my results.
Wait for it....
Wait....

Ok, so I let him cool down for almost 3 hours before going to make my 2nd pass. This time, he was either going to do something good, or something was seriously eff'd up. I added just a tad of fuel and turned the boost up. With my bleeder valve, I am using JEDI wisdom to set it. I know right? Crazy! o_O

I pull up to the water box, do my burn out, stage the car with courtesy stagging, do my G-body feet shuffle, poor man's trans brake JEDI trick, floor the gas, see 15psi and let him eat!

BAAAAAAAMMMMMM!!!!!

Oh yeah, now we're doing something! I reapeadly glance over at the Scanmaster while driving, everything looks and sounds good. Save for the trans that is. I fly through the traps and look over at the boost gauge sitting rock solidly on 29psi. Nice!
Results you ask?

IMG_20181025_202818722.jpg

DAAAAAAMNNNN Legend! You go boy! We're almost there!
With only 3psi more boost and adding 2% fuel, he picked up 5.94 mph in the 1/8th and 6.11 in the 1/4. Very nice! That's what I'm preaching! And that sixty felt nice!

To be continued...

Last edited:
Part 2:

So, we make it back to the pits and I let him cool. The track officials and RRA's decided to move Peer tech to Thursday because Friday was doomed for rain. I make my way over to the staging lanes for a quick look see and to snap a few pics.

IMG_20181025_123341172_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181025_123247867.jpg

IMG_20181025_123016972_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181025_123411337_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181025_122519318.jpg

IMG_20181025_122557204.jpg

IMG_20181025_123451417.jpg

IMG_20181025_123534198_HDR.jpg

After a few minutes of snapping some photos, I mosey over towards the TAI group to see what's shaking. Welp, they are just starting to go over stuff and Russ turns to me and asks where my car is? It's over in the pits, I'm just playing. You gotta run the class. So after a few minutes, he talks me into racing the class. Now, I had no intentions of racing any class, because I was just wanting to test and tune, try to get a 10 second pass and have fun. But the more he told me, it only made sense to give it a shot. Anything can happen and most importantly, this is a FUN class. I've been watching this class develop over the years and have always admired it and the group of guys/gals that race in it. I mean, who doesn't like the idea of a bunch of street cars with pump gas and alky going at it on a heads up pro tree? Best of all, it's 1/8th mile, so you're less likely to blow stuff up if you are pushing your car. So I thought what the heck, I'll stick a foot in the TAI water.

IMG_20181025_130438891.jpg

I rush back over to the pits and grab Legend, taking him over so everyone can peer tech/check him out. No objections were made and everyone agreed I should race the class. So like that, I'm in a class. The track officials gave us about 30 minutes before 1st round of qualifying. By the time we were called to the lanes, he had cooled for just under an hour. With it being qualifying, I was not worried about cutting a light. I was still trying to dial the car in and better my ET. So I thought I turned up the boost, but unfortunately, that didn't happen. I had also added 4% fuel in anticipation of higher boost. I repeated my previous poor mans trans brake method and made my first qualifying pass. It felt good, but when going through the traps, the boost still showed only 29psi.
(Did he just say only?) :oops:

I went to the scales and got my weight. 3780 with me driving. There's no way that's right. This ain't no light weight GN. Ehh, at least I'm legal for the class, as my weight limit is 3450 with iron heads.
Tale of the tape...

IMG_20181025_202839750.jpg

Would ya just look at it!
Bracket car consistency!
Good grief!
The car was way rich, zero knock and the boost didn't move.
#8 qualifier though, so I was in the field.

Ok, at this point, I knew I had to make another Executive Decision, as time was running out. If I waited for another day and another track to try to get a 10 second pass, the trans might decide to quit the team and go home. Also, if I were to race the class, it's 1/8th mile and no more test and tune on Saturday. I decided I needed to let him cool down and make a final 1/4 mile attempt.

To be continued.... Again....

Part 3

The time has finally come.....
"What time is it Patrick?"
It's time to be a GRIZZLY!

Ok, here we go.
With the qualifier under my belt, it was time to see what this "Legend" is all about. I was having flash backs from the movie Christine, when Artie was distraught and talking to Christine. That famous scene when he turned to Christine and said, "Ok.... show me...."

I pulled fuel and this time I made DAMN sure I turned up the boost. This was my absolute one and only chance to get a 10 second time slip so I made dang sure I didn't screw this one chance I had up.

I set the rear tire pressure to 12.5psi cold. Checked all of my hoses, topped off the alky tank and waited for my stop watch to time out on his 1 hour cool down.

It's go time boys and girls!

I make my way to the lanes and mentally prepare myself for what's about to go down. He's either going to make a great hit, the trans is going to quit the team, or something worse. Either way, I was on a mission.
I made sure the pair of cars before me made full 1/4 mile passes and the score board proved it.
I clicked the shifter into D and pulled into the burnout box. I did a nice smokey burn out and proceeded to do my job.

COME ON LEGEND! SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT!
I shouted in my helmet.

JEDI e-brake trick engaged, mash it, 15psi swings up on the gauge and click click BOOM!
He launches hard and I feel the front tires get light and bounce twice on initial hit. Half track and I'm hanging on good.
Scanmaster numbers are looking good at half track and he's pulling hard. The engine note is smooth and really screaming!
Will this be the pass?
It's definitely faster....

As I fly through the traps I look over at the boost gauge.
It read 34psi.

34 PSI!
HOLY SH!% BALLS!
ARE YOU SERIOUS?

I cross the line and let out. Clicking the shifter into OD, I quickly look in the rear view for any tale tell signs of smoke, flame, pieces of crank, a rod... anything.
Imagine my utter disbelief when I see a crystal clear view of nothing but track. No smoke, nothing.
No freaking way!

Turning onto the return road I hit the recall button and see this.

.738 1.2
Hitting the second button I see this.
81 84

DAAAAAAAAAYYYYUUUUMMM!!!
That's what I call lean is mean. You're not supposed to do that, ummm no no and no.
That's when it hit me.....
I think Legend just showed me something. Something very impressive.

Oil pressure is good, engine is purring along, no smoke, nothing but the trans worry in the back of my mind.
I make my way to the scales and pick up my slip.
Ok, let's see......
Wait for it.....

IMG_20181025_202906415.jpg

IMG_20181025_202927010.jpg

In the blink of an eye, I let out the loudest yell I could. I think I startled the ticket giver.
YEAH BABY YEAH!!!!!!!
I can't believe it! I achieved my goal within 4, FOUR passes.
Now that's what I call impressive Legend. You just lived up to your name.

I want to say a HUGE word of Thanks, to my good friend Tommy Harmon for taking this video for me. I've never had someone video my antics before. Especially something this big for me. Thank you Tommy.

In all of my years of racing these cars, this moment tops all of my previous racing high lights. I was seriously blown away.
And the look on all of my friends faces when I told them what it did and how it did it was priceless. No matter what happened from this point out during this event, nothing could wipe the smile from my face. Words can not describe the feeling. All of the hard work, hardships, busted knuckles, blood sweat and tears are worth it when things like this happen.

I am still in shock that the car held together.

Fast forward to Saturday, as Friday was a complete wash out and we get to make one more qualifying pass.

I turn the boost down, alky up and do my same routine. The printer failed to print out time slip so I had to go to the tower to get a hand written slip. He ran a 7.111 @ 98mph, with a slower 1.66 sixty foot. The tune was much safer but rich as there was more alky, it was colder and the boost was down to 32. The Scanmaster showed .808 O2 Mv at 82mph with zero KR.

Before you know it, it's time for 1st round eliminations. I have Patrick B. His car is a testament to just how strong these cars can be when pushed. You see, he was running both TSO and TAI. He had to run Dave in the 1st round, go across the scales, weigh, get his slip, then drive straight back to the lanes to line up and race me. His car is very impressive to withstand such a beating.
He is a great guy that really knows his stuff. And it was an honor to race him. Seeing how his car performed, really inspired me to keep going with my own car. This class as a whole, really inspired me to continue with my car and I really loved racing in it.

I knew I didn't have a chance, but anything was possible. And this is where ziptie e-brake launching and heads up Pro tree don't work too well. I hit the first bulb, he lights his first bulb. I hit my second bulb and by the time I finally see 10psi on the gauge the tree has lit and he's gone baby! I let mine go when I see 15psi and rip off the line, way behind.

He moves on. And even though I lost, I still had a huge grin on my face. All the vitals looked and sounded good. Numbers looked good, zero KR and good O2's.
I drove over the scales, checked my weight, which still magically read 3780#'s and got my slip.
My week was done. And I couldn't of been more happy.
This joy was made even better when I cranked him up and drove him on the trailer an hour later.
The rest of my time was spent with friends.
Watching and cheering my best friend on as we went on to win TSO in a very good race against Billy T.

Welp, they're giving me the wrap it up signal.

I want to say thank you to Tommy Harmon for all of his help and the fantastic video footage. Also thank you to Dave Fiscus for the encouragement and support throughout the many years we've been best friends. Thank you to all of my extended Buick family, Greg, Gary, Billy, Cal, Holly, Jason C, Jason and Josh White, Clint, Russ and Melissa, JD, Brent and Darrin and many others that I know I'm forgetting. My brain is mush at this hour. It was so very good to see everyone again. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I really appreciate it. I also want to say Thank you to Tom at Champion for the $100 gift certificate that I won in the TAI drawing. Thank you Tom! I also want to give a huge word of Thanks to Brent Hale for making it possible for me to own this wonderful car. Thank you so much.

This years' GS Nats was by far my favorite one hands down. I was included into an awesome racing class (TAI) that I can't wait to run in again next year.

IMG_20181027_085952180_HDR.jpg

45035688_10211848200350684_6810187564301942784_o.jpg
IMG_20181027_090311016.jpg

And last but certainly not least, I will never forget the time that I got to spend with Neal White and the real Legend, Mr. Lawrence Conley. I had a really good time talking with them about racing stories from the past. Some of them I actually lived through. To me, Lawrence is one of my Turbo Buick heros, as I have learned a whole lot from him over the years. A lot of that I have applied to my current car. I am so thankful that I got to spend time with them. Thank you Lawrence and Neal for your encouraging words about my car and my accomplishment. I sincerely appreciate it.

With that, I bring this chapter to a close.
My future plans with Legend include a small roller cam, rebuilding the trans, swapping converters and fixing the brakes the right way so I can delete the e-brake routine. Redoing my gauges using one of Scott's 3 gauge dash pods and finish up all the other odds and ends that I ran out of time on.
Oh and least I forget one more item.
Install my new TurboTweak ecuGN computer system that I picked up at the Nats.
The end goal is reliable 10.50's. Nothing faster. Seriously, nothing faster.

Thanks for following along everyone. I apologize if I missed anyone who was looking for me at the race. I was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Heck, I even lost 7 #'s this week. :eek:

IMG_20181027_105357179.jpg

Stay tuned.....

-Patrick-

Last edited:
So happy for you to hear all this!

If I ever parted ways with my TR, I don't think I could ever come back. I'm so glad it's bringing you good luck.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing a great story and bad ass time at The Nationals- your living the dream, and isn’t what these cars are all about?

Hey man, came here to look at the catch can setup and ended up reading the whole Nationals story. Congrats on the 10 sec slip! Looking at your set up gives me hope that I can get there too. I’ll be working on my launch rather than throwing more money at it.

I appreciate the detailed posts! Take care and keep us posted.

Here is my second pass on this setup, very similar to yours, but with cheaper parts.

Attachments

• 1F020976-0B32-4537-ADA8-51FC8BD18B50.jpeg
    1F020976-0B32-4537-ADA8-51FC8BD18B50.jpeg
    837.4 KB · Views: 100