How to tune a GN

BOP4ever

I have been reading non stop since blowing a head gasket and I have found little specific about tuning for good safe performance just general things like o2 up 780, fp boost plus base, & basically timing varies etc this is not unexpected really but is there and guided for how to go about it? A step by step process for tuning the car?
A baseline set up then do this watch this then this etc sort of help ??? There are amazing detailed recipes for the parts to put on it seems like there would be more detailed help to safety get the performance indicated by the authors.

I read where some tune almost stock cars to the edge of 10s and others not...looking for help for when I get it back on the road.

Thanks

"Almost stock" cars is a vague term. A 10 sec car can easily be built, but it will require some expensive parts....turbo, injectors, intercooler, cam, head work, new converter.....so, YES it can be built on an "almost stock" bottom end, but it may not last long without bottom end modifications.

Tuning: here is a great source of info on our cars. Vortex Buicks

you pretty much have the same set up as me other than I have a TE44, PTE IC, and stock converter.
How much boost were you running when the HG decided to check out? DO you have a SM or other monitoring device?

As for tuning... vortex is a great site.
I can tell you with my set up ie. 42# line off. 42#inj. alky, 93 octane, I am running 23# of boost with TT chip and no adjustments made in chip..... no KR in the FL heat

I was running 20 to 21 psi on the stock turbo with stock IC and a smc alky system.
I had t link and running the tt chip with 40 psi line off it was showing 0 knock before the gasket blew. That was about 4 months prior when it was cold . It blew in july in about 95 degree heat passing a car at wot . Afgter a little burnout . Last year I had a massive detonation issue when the pump died in the alcohol tank and I figure it might have been hurt then.
No SM at the time either. Hoping to have a better running car after the rebuild since it was only a high 13 low 14 second car. That's why I. Am asking about tuning .

Why did you set your fuel pressure at 40lbs line off? I think 43lbs is recommended.
Also, is your setup still the old smc in tank pump kit? Are you running 100% meth/Denatured? or a mix of alky and water?

Ive been in the same boat as you all summer trying to tune myself and its been a real experience thus far. But so far no broken parts., some advice I've been using with alcohol is posted by razor in the alky section. Making sure everything is fine at 15-17lbs of boost and no alcohol. Then turning on the alcohol kit and adding boost and timing slowly.

Edit: just read another one of your post. I think when you get it back together with a knock sensor and scanmaster as well as a newer style alky kit you will be well on your way. I'm using turbolink for now also, its better than nothing right...haha... but another form of knock recognition is really needed. Which i think is what the majority use the scanmaster for if you dont have audible.

powerlogger and good wideband unit will help alot. i've got pl, wb,sm and audible knock detector which will drive you nuts....sometimes the sm will not show kr and the audible will and sometimes vice versa. its no longer driving me crazy as car is now on alky tuned to zero knock which keeps the ears happy...lol.

After thinking about I think I have the fuel at 43 it has been a while I know I was able to reduce the setting after I put the hot wire kit. The plan is knock buzzer or meter leaning toward buzzer actually to save adding something else visible.
I have really been disapointed with the cars performance so far and the head gasket really made it worse. So after contemplating selling or putting a LS in it I decided to try and learn more and give it another try... I never had a problem getting any if my v8 cars to run low 12's with a few cheap mods so I was kinda expecting this to be similar . I think this is gonna take a little more money and work with little blown 6 but maybe it will suprise me and be better next time around.

"Almost stock" cars is a vague term. A 10 sec car can easily be built, but it will require some expensive parts....turbo, injectors, intercooler, cam, head work, new converter.....so, YES it can be built on an "almost stock" bottom end, but it may not last long without bottom end modifications.

Tuning: here is a great source of info on our cars. Vortex Buicks

Great information thanks !!

If you never want to blow head gaskets keep it stock!!! Other than than the faster you want to go you know from other what has to be done I just learned from other members keep it simple and that's been working for me low 11s so far with half the stuff a lot of other guys have good luck

Forgot to answer a question.
I always have ran 100 percent denatured alcohol in the SMC system I have now and I had zero knock on the t link trend when it was working at 20 psi.